Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Gizmo is well educated, she is a librarian (and a public servant). Public employees and other people with basic “good jobs”used to be able to afford the region easily and now people with normal jobs are priced out. Are you saying everyone in the public sector should just pack up and leave because of the price? What happens to our cities then?

Something is jacked up if a person making the median wage can barely make ends meet as a single person. You shouldn’t only need to have a lucrative job to live a basic life.

if you cant afford to own a home, live comfortably and save for retirement it's reaonable and probably wise to relocate.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/4/2/17189...ent-april-2018
more units are built and prices continue to rise

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-12908443.php

Paul is focused on selling the 55 condos that start at $3.2 million for a two-bedroom and go all the way to $42 million for a 7,000-square-foot penthouse. There are also 16 companion units — studio apartments starting at $1.2 million, that are only available to buyers of the larger residences.
The companion units are selling as fast as the big ones.
“We had one person who bought two,” said Matt Lituchy, Jay Paul chief investment officer.

2700 square feet single family houses in the lake street area of San francisco are listed for $2.7 million
2700 square feet single family houses in the rockridge area of San francisco are listed $2 million
both areas get bidding wars and sale for $400 thousand over asking

these arent in presideo heights, cow hollow or Noe valley . which are much more expensive.

With this much money around developers only make units for the high end unless forced to make lower income units by the city. the demand for single family homes in SF is so high the city had to enact legislation to prohibit developers from converting duplexes and triplexes to single family homes.

this is the reality about where we have chosen to live. you are dreaming if you think there is another solution other than moving or making more money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 05:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
All this said, it's simply not going to happen. Those who claim it will, have conjecture on those side, and those that say it won't have history on their side.

I look at threads like these (that are a dime a dozen) and call them "dreamer" threads. It's a lot of pie-in-the-sky comments about what "we" need to do to correct the housing problem. Unfortunately for them, there is no "we". If there was, many of these things would have been voted out long ago. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I think people in San Francisco like the way things are and don't really believe their is a housing "problem". Most of the complaining that I've seen appear to come from transplants and people that didn't buy when they had the chance (so they're on the outside looking in).

Zoning, Prop 13, rent control, environmental restraints, cost to build, etc., have been talked about Ad Nauseam for years. But I would say to those that think changing any of this has legs, to get out there and start knocking on doors and get those signatures (I will say good luck to you as you will need it). But sitting around on forums trying to make hay is not going to do a bit of good.

Admittedly, as much as rent control has clearly done a number on rentals and housing supply from the outset, I'm convinced at this point that ending it isn't going to do a bit of good. The only thing it's going to do is displace people who have been here for years and have no way of paying the market price of rent with a bunch of 1%ers (which I believe is where San Francisco is going anyway). Time will tell but this city will eventually be nothing but the elite.

P.S. Cue the screams about NIMBYism. I can assure you, no one really is worried about the name calling.
I'll take that bet. SF will not eventually be nothing but the elite. If housing prices drive everyone else out, the city will be destroyed. You can't have a functioning city without police, firefighters, teachers, social workers, etc.

You COULD have a society without emoji developers and maybe even real estate brokers.

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 05-18-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 05:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 836,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I'll take that bet. SF will not eventually be nothing but the elite. If housing prices drive everyone else out, the city will be destroyed. You can't have a functioning city without police, firefighters, teachers, social workers, etc.

You COULD have a society without app developers and maybe even real estate brokers.
And if I knew you, I'd even give you odds. The problem with most of your statement is it's nothing but hyperbole. Firefighters and Police Officers make pretty decent coin (both over 6 figures last I checked) and have an incredible pension plan. These maps are from 2015, but clearly their pay hasn't gone down

The Chron also had an article on it, but I don't think their quote includes OT

How Much on Average Does a Full-Time Firefighter Make? | Chron.com

And of course, there's Transparent CA which will show you all those $100k+ salaries and even the names that go with them

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...fighter&y=2017

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...arch/?q=police

Once the teachers union is dissolved, and all the fat removed from the bloated administration, the teachers can be paid more (not that difficult of a problem).

The hyperbolic nonsense does nothing to help your argument.

I also get tired of these comments implying that certain professions should be entitled to preferential treatment. Personally I would put people in the health and wellness industry above your list.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 05-18-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 06:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
And if I knew you, I'd even give you odds. The problem with most of your statement is it's nothing but hyperbole. Firefighters and Police Officers make pretty decent coin (both over 6 figures last I checked) and have an incredible pension plan. These maps are from 2015, but clearly their pay hasn't gone down

The Chron also had an article on it, but I don't think their quote includes OT

How Much on Average Does a Full-Time Firefighter Make? | Chron.com

And of course, there's Transparent CA which will show you all those $100k+ salaries and even the names that go with them

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...fighter&y=2017

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...arch/?q=police

Once the teachers union is dissolved, and all the fat removed from the bloated administration, the teachers can be paid more (not that difficult of a problem).

The hyperbolic nonsense does nothing to help your argument.

I also get tired of these comments implying that certain professions should be entitled to preferential treatment. Personally I would put people in the health and wellness industry above your list.
Hyperbolic nonsense......people don't know how to write....people don't know how to Google......you're a master at attacking your way out of any debate. You should run for President.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 836,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Hyperbolic nonsense......people don't know how to write....people don't know how to Google......you're a master at attacking your way out of any debate. You should run for President.
Uh huh. Let me know when you can refute the salary info.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Gizmo is well educated, she is a librarian (and a public servant). Public employees and other people with basic “good jobs”used to be able to afford the region easily and now people with normal jobs are priced out. Are you saying everyone in the public sector should just pack up and leave because of the price? What happens to our cities then?

Something is jacked up if a person making the median wage can barely make ends meet as a single person. You shouldn’t only need to have a lucrative job to live a basic life.
EXACTLY. So glad that somebody got my point! I mean, if a Master’s Degree + 11 years of experience still puts you in the “barely making it” category, something in our system is broken. I don’t know the perfect solution, or I’d run for Governor, but I do know the answer isn’t for us all to leave. As you implied, that could have devastating effects on our region... would anyone here want to live in a city devoid of teachers, librarians, cops, social workers, etc?

So this really is the heart of the matter, and if things don’t change soon, we’ll begin to feel the effects more and more in the coming years. Not to mention, if we all relocate to another region, won’t we eventually bring the problems with us? Folks in cities like Portland, Boise, and Austin (popular choices for relocation) are already complaining about the influx of Californians, and how they’ve caused COL to go up there. It’s kind of like arguing that we should just push out the homeless, instead of working to improve the CAUSES of homelessness.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:15 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
EXACTLY. So glad that somebody got my point! I mean, if a Master’s Degree + 11 years of experience still puts you in the “barely making it” category, something in our system is broken. I don’t know the perfect solution, or I’d run for Governor, but I do know the answer isn’t for us all to leave. As you implied, that could have devastating effects on our region... would anyone here want to live in a city devoid of teachers, librarians, cops, social workers, etc?

So this really is the heart of the matter, and if things don’t change soon, we’ll begin to feel the effects more and more in the coming years. Not to mention, if we all relocate to another region, won’t we eventually bring the problems with us? Folks in cities like Portland, Boise, and Austin (popular choices for relocation) are already complaining about the influx of Californians, and how they’ve caused COL to go up there. It’s kind of like arguing that we should just push out the homeless, instead of working to improve the CAUSES of homelessness.
Part of the problem is Californians are so giddy at the prices they think nothing of overpaying in those other cities. It's a bargain to them.
But a lot of the locals don't like californian's attitudes and how they want to change they areas they've moved to.They believe if they don't like the new city, why did they move there, but that's another story.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Oh why can't I afford to live in Paris,London or Rome??!!?? Life is so unfair.
SAN Francisco is like Paris or London. Wealthy people from all over the world want to live here. Even if prices went down there are wealthy people all over the world who would swoop in an buy before you.

You think if housing prices went down in Paris, rich people from all over the world wouldn't come in looking for bargains?

Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Oh why can't I afford to live in Paris,London or Rome??!!?? Life is so unfair.
SAN Francisco is like Paris or London. Wealthy people from all over the world want to live here. Even if prices went down there are wealthy people all over the world who would swoop in an buy before you.

You think if housing prices went down in Paris, rich people from all over the world wouldn't come in looking for bargains?
Nice try, but you’re ignoring one big difference between the Bay Area vs most other big & desirable cities - we don’t have any “affordable outskirts,” from where people of lesser means can commute into the city. We also have terrible public transit for a major metro, while places like Paris and NYC have awesome subway/train systems.

My relatives are from the Boston area, and the majority of their middle-class workers live in cheaper suburbs, then commute into Boston on the train. And for the NYC folks who can’t afford Manhattan, they take the subway from places like New Jersey or Connecticut. What are people going to do here? Take a bus from Tracy or Stockton? Either that, or you get to sit in traffic 4 hours/day driving back and forth. Some people do this now, but for most of us that’s a lousy option.

Btw, I’m discussing the ENTIRE Peninsula and immediate Bay Area; not just San Francisco. I live in the South Bay now, which used to be affordable enough for most people like me. I’ve been here since 1983, so I do remember the days when teachers (et al) could easily afford an apartment in Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Daly City, etc. Now you practically have to go to Sacramento for anything under $2000/mo. So don’t tell me this is how it’s always been, because that is simply not true.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-18-2018 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:18 PM

P.S. I’ve been to London, Paris, Rome, NYC, and a handful of other expensive cities around the world... they seemed to have plenty of middle and working-class employees, so where did they all live? And what are they doing differently than us? My thoughts are above, but I’m sure there are other factors involved too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland