Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Uh huh. Let me know when you can refute the salary info.
Firefighters and cops do make good money here, at least once they’ve reached a certain level of seniority. Other mid-level public employees, though? Not so much.

My name is actually on that site, and as I mentioned earlier, they list my salary as WAY higher than what I gross annually (since they’re including things like pension & benefits). So you do have to take those with a grain of salt, and also look beyond the administrative or “senior” positions. Our county librarian, who is head of the ENTIRE library system, earns like $225K - but the rest of us range from around $69-95K, if you include the other tiers of management. Without including managers, the highest salary (what I get now) is $84K. And compared to most school teachers, that is a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:37 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Firefighters and cops do make good money here, at least once they’ve reached a certain level of seniority. Other mid-level public employees, though? Not so much.

My name is actually on that site, and as I mentioned earlier, they list my salary as WAY higher than what I gross annually (since they’re including things like pension & benefits). So you do have to take those with a grain of salt, and also look beyond the administrative or “senior” positions. Our county librarian, who is head of the ENTIRE library system, earns like $225K - but the rest of us range from around $69-95K, if you include the other tiers of management. Without including managers, the highest salary (what I get now) is $84K. And compared to most school teachers, that is a lot!
Of course firefighters and police make good money. And it's laughable that anyone would claim that these two groups would be run out of town when their income level is in the top 10% (if not 5%) of income earners in the country (hyperbole). Not sure what you're talking about regarding "benefits" as it's clearly labeled on the site (I am talking about column 4..."total pay", not column 6 "total pay with benefits"). I know people that have been on their site also and they claim it is very accurate on their pay. Not saying they couldn't have a mistake or two, but in general, I believe it's accurate (and other sources claim the validity of the high pay among firefighters and police).

Old 05-18-2018, 11:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Oh why can't I afford to live in Paris,London or Rome??!!?? Life is so unfair.
SAN Francisco is like Paris or London. Wealthy people from all over the world want to live here. Even if prices went down there are wealthy people all over the world who would swoop in an buy before you.

You think if housing prices went down in Paris, rich people from all over the world wouldn't come in looking for bargains?
So Paris, Rome, London etc can’t have librarians, bartenders, baristas,teachers, social workers, school administrators......

Last I checked we need people to provide those basic city amenities. And you have to live in a reasonable commute distance somehow.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Seconded. I'm also a public employee and my salary is publicly listed as $18K higher than what I actually earn. They include "fringe" benefits like pension and healthcare. All well and good. But of course I can't use that to pay my rent or buy a house.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:52 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Are you saying everyone in the public sector should just pack up and leave because of the price?
Exactly.

We have choices. We are not forced to live in a certain place and we are not forced to take government work.

If prices are too high, people that cannot afford the prices should leave.

Wages are set by the market, and if someone is willing to take an underpaid job, this is their choice. There are no shortages of people lined up to take government work, especially in the Bay Area.

Quote:
Something is jacked up if a person making the median wage can barely make ends meet as a single person. You shouldn’t only need to have a lucrative job to live a basic life.
Something IS morally jacked up when public servants can no longer afford to live in the area they serve.

Unfortunately the market does not run on morals.

The sad truth is, someone is taking these jobs. If nobody did, they would have to raise the wage until a qualified candidate did.

Right now, the market is dictating low wages for certain public servants.

I wouldn't feel too bad for them. There's a huge country out there, and nobody is forcing anyone to live in the Bay Area.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Exactly.

We have choices. We are not forced to live in a certain place and we are not forced to take government work.

Wages are set by the market, and if someone is willing to take an underpaid job, this is their choice. There are no shortages of people lined up to take government work, especially in the Bay Area.

Something IS morally jacked up when public servants can no longer afford to live in the area they serve.

The sad truth is, someone is taking these jobs. If nobody did, they would have to raise the wage until a qualified candidate did.

I wouldn't feel too bad for them. There's a huge country out there, and nobody is forcing anyone to live in the Bay Area.
Watch out there Lockdev. That kind of logic will make some heads explode here (as it's apparent that many of them don't know how a market works).

Ironically, these type of Henny Penny "sky is falling" comments have been made for years to no avail. The Police and Firefighters certainly make enough so they're not going anywhere. And as you said for the rest of them, someone is taking these jobs. Most people I know don't give a rats ass in regards to the education in the city of San Francisco, because they know it's terrible (shy of one diamond in the rough with Lowell). They all send their kids to Parochial schools.

No one has a gun to your head. If the prices are too high...leave (screw the preferential treatment on jobs). As stated, there are certainly other "good" jobs that are just as honorable that don't get any breaks either.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

We do not live in a 100 percent laissez faire market driven economy. You're thinking of a banana republic. In our society, when the market acts a little too amorally, it's the government's job to regulate that market. I don't have the specific answer on what should be done, but I'm just saying that's how the balancing act should work. Extreme market partisans often seem to have a blind spot on this.

Awaits being told this is nonsensical, illogal hyperbole by JJJOnesIII in 3, 2, 1.......

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 05-19-2018 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-19-2018, 03:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
it's the government's job to regulate that market. I don't have the specific answer on what should be done, but I'm just saying that's how the balancing act should work. Extreme market partisans often seem to have a blind spot on this.

Awaits being told this is nonsensical, illogal hyperbole by JJJOnesIII in 3, 2, 1.......
I'm not sure you understand capitalism(or the meaning of the word hyperbole).

The government should never try to regulate the market. They just screw things up.

The government should bust up monopolies and oligopolies and help encourage competition, but the belief that somehow the government knows how to "fix things" is comical.

The government can't even build a simple website without spending 2 billion dollars. What makes you think they can fix an economy?

Old 05-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure you understand capitalism(or the meaning of the word hyperbole).

The government should never try to regulate the market. They just screw things up.

The government should bust up monopolies and oligopolies and help encourage competition, but the belief that somehow the government knows how to "fix things" is comical.

The government can't even build a simple website without spending 2 billion dollars. What makes you think they can fix an economy?
Ignoring your condescension, I will ask if you actually believe that the market works beautifully when the government steps out of the way? The subprime mortgage crisis.....you may recall it nearly collapsed the economy......was that a result of too much government regulation or too little?

Also it's clear that you yourself do not understand the very economy you live in. For example, rent control is a check on pure capitalism. Minimum wage laws are a check on pure capitalism. The list could go on and on. Whether you like those policies or not, they are the reality of our society. We say we live in a capitalist society, but that's just shorthand. We live in a hybrid society of private capitalism and public regulation. Sorry to break the news to you. Also....the Easter bunny isn't real.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Ignoring your condescension, I will ask if you actually believe that the market works beautifully when the government steps out of the way? The subprime mortgage crisis.....you may recall it nearly collapsed the economy......was that a result of too much government regulation or too little?

Also it's clear that you yourself do not understand the very economy you live in. For example, rent control is a check on pure capitalism. Minimum wage laws are a check on pure capitalism. The list could go on and on. Whether you like those policies or not, they are the reality of our society. We say we live in a capitalist society, but that's just shorthand. We live in a hybrid society of private capitalism and public regulation. Sorry to break the news to you. Also....the Easter bunny isn't real.
What an absolute load of crap! But why am I not surprised to see revisionist history in play here.

Yeah, Government had no involvement whatsoever in the financial crisis. Nope, no manipulation of interest rates, no subsidies or regulations involving housing, redlining never happened, and no, there wasn't any moral hazard promoting reckless financial policies. Nope, you can't make this stuff up.

Some people just can't beyond one sided, brainwashed politics and propaganda.

No worries though. The financial crisis has been talked to death so I won't be wasting pages upon pages arguing about it as it won't change a damn thing. Those who didn't panic are smelling like a rose right now and those who did panic and refused to purchase in what was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity are on forums whining that prices are too high. Continue on with the Henny Penny comments and I'll continue to watch SF turn into the land of elitism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland