Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 10:22 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I recently went back to California to visit family and friends. I usually go 2x a year. For the first time I did not go into San Francisco or Oakland because it’s gone so far downhills
San Francisco is a jewel that needs to be saved.
I don't know where you are going in either City but I go to both regularly and don't have any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 03:27 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I recently went back to California to visit family and friends. I usually go 2x a year. For the first time I did not go into San Francisco or Oakland because it’s gone so far downhills
San Francisco is a jewel that needs to be saved.
I cannot fault you there for not coming here or especially OAKLAND.

I am born and raised here and have seen the changes many decades over from when you could purchase a house in the Sunset on the beach for $45,000 to the current price now of 1.2+ million. Richmond district was $65,000+. We we didn't have homeless/drug addicts roaming the streets like zombies. When you could purchase a house in Monterey Heights for $47,000 or a nice decent home in Forrest Hill for $65,000+, Midtown Terrace for $77,000, Claradone Heights for $100,000. There were bad areas of the city like the Bayview/Hunters Point which remains to be one of the worst areas of SF that used to cost $19,000 now to the tune just under a mill. Ingleside/Ocean view area also for $19,000 to $29,000. Bernal Heights 19,000 to 25,000. Now I dare not touch any of these places NOW near the one mill mark. Lets not forget Visitaction Valley

We also didn't have all of the current ridiculous taxes that are nickel and diming us to death like today.

SF used to be a safe place to live back in the day.
Now with the highest property taxes as well as one of the most expensive places to live with a corrupt government system in City Hall with lots of graft and misleading things that go on behind city hall and the civil service system it is a lost cause.
Got to follow the $$$$ as it isn't being used for what it should be to effectively improve the city.

If tax payers only knew how their $$$ was being spent and used.

This once upon a time jewel has been stolen by criminals inside and outside, a corrupt system full of graft the government system as well as this messed up generation who want to change/erase SF history.

Last edited by nowhereman427; 05-21-2023 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-22-2023, 01:25 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't know where you are going in either City but I go to both regularly and don't have any problems.
Well maybe you’re used to it or don't see it as a problem. Maybe that is a problem in itself.
I know what they were before and didn’t see any reason to go visit a lesser version of what it was before.
My sister works in the city and is there probably more than you are. She says it is much worse and says panhandlers and homeless people are something she worries about now.
Men will ask her for money and if she says she doesn’t have any they will try to intimidate her by saying they accompany her to an atm.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:55 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Lots of hyperbole there friend. I have family who live in San Francisco and friends who live in Oakland, I visit both regularly. Yes, there's a homeless problem just as there is in almost all cities, it's exacerbated in San Francisco because of building density - no open fields or abandoned used car lots for the homeless to squat in so they occupy sidewalks. But if you know where you are going you are rarely be bothered by homeless. Oakland has a crime problem, but again if you use your head and stay away from areas known for muggings etc. you won't have any problems.

This is interesting...I guess San Francisco didn't quite make the cut for the 10 most dangerous cities for tourists in the US. So here's a fun thing you might do, go to the appropriate C-D topic for each city and write about how they live in a "fetid sinking ship" or a "maggot infested corpse" then come back and tell us how popular you were with the folks who in the forums
St. Louis
Mobile and Birmingham, Alabama
Baltimore Maryland
Memphis, Tennessee
Detroit, Michigan
Cleveland, Ohio
New Orleans, Louisiana
Shreveport, Louisiana
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
https://www.traveloffpath.com/this-i...ts-in-america/
Those cities didn’t have 17 stores recently close (I googled it) and a CNN van broken into that was in the city to do a story on crime in SF. SF numbers are lower because residents have given up and stopped reporting crime. It’s no wonder that more people are moving out of SF then any other Ca city. LA is second understandably

Old 05-22-2023, 10:05 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Those cities didn’t have 17 stores recently close (I googled it) and a CNN van broken into that was in the city to do a story on crime in SF. SF numbers are lower because residents have given up and stopped reporting crime. It’s no wonder that more people are moving out of SF then any other Ca city. LA is second understandably
This thread is about SF homelessness. Your post above reports store closings and crime and out migration … but fails to make any connection between those things and homelessness. If you have some documentation to tie it all together, please do post.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Here’s what I’m getting at:
Seattle, WA and San Francisco, CA are similar-sized cities (SF is actually a bit larger).

Seattle has nearly double the homeless numbers than does San Francisco.

Seattle was the fastest growing big city in America in 2022 despite having double the homeless.

So, if you can demonstrate that homelessness is why San Franciscans are bailing out of a slightly larger city that has half the homeless as Seattle … please do

Old 05-22-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This thread is about SF homelessness. Your post above reports store closings and crime and out migration … but fails to make any connection between those things and homelessness. If you have some documentation to tie it all together, please do post.
2sleepy posted about dangerous cities. I equate dangerous with crime more then homelessness but I agree they go together. I was replying to her post so…..

Old 05-22-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Here’s what I’m getting at:
Seattle, WA and San Francisco, CA are similar-sized cities (SF is actually a bit larger).

Seattle has nearly double the homeless numbers than does San Francisco.

Seattle was the fastest growing big city in America in 2022 despite having double the homeless.

So, if you can demonstrate that homelessness is why San Franciscans are bailing out of a slightly larger city that has half the homeless as Seattle … please do
Seattle and Portland were also beautiful cities and are now pits of Hell. People are bailing out of all three once thriving cities. It’s tragic …

Old 05-22-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
2sleepy posted about dangerous cities. I equate dangerous with crime more then homelessness but I agree they go together. I was replying to her post so…..
… so you have no answer to tie the topic and your unsubstantiated personal ‘feelings’ together … ok. Just checking. Topic is homelessness. You want to ‘equate” homelessness to crime as causation for dropping population numbers - even though there are many other documented factors behind recent population changes, including Covid and economics - and a parallel city with worse homelessness and growing urban street crime defies your “equation” by being the fastest growing big city in the nation.

Huh.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
… so you have no answer to tie the topic and your unsubstantiated personal ‘feelings’ together … ok. Just checking. Topic is homelessness. You want to ‘equate” homelessness to crime as causation for dropping population numbers - even though there are many other documented factors behind recent population changes, including Covid and economics - and a parallel city with worse homelessness and growing urban street crime defies your “equation” by being the fastest growing big city in the nation.

Huh.
I gave my answer. I can’t help it if you don’t understand. I think your going to have to back up that statement about Seattle being the fastest growing big city in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland