Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 06:03 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,512,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm over 60 and have some older age issues so I'm probably in the middle of the "risk" pack and I'm not a big risk taker. However, I can make these decisions for myself because I have a brain.
You have much more faith in humanity than I do. People do stupid things regularly. It's a wonder more people don't die during normal times, let along during a pandemic. That being said, now that the initial goal of the lockdown has been reached (i.e., not overwhelming hospitals), it's time to start reopening in a safe, methodical manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 07:05 PM

42,812 posts, read 26,490,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
What is it with you and CA4? Where did I ever say it's good news? I think you and CA4 can't comprehend anything or you just want to argue. Tell me which it is.

I'm reporting actual facts from the GA Dept of Health website. Unless, you can show the Internet world where I said "good news," then get outta here with your crap. You don't think more cases will go up with more testing and opening things up? GA has the same testing rate as CA, but almost double the per capita death rate. Your hated Trump even said GA was going too quickly. It's hospitalizations and deaths that should be a focus and accurate information won't be known for at least a month.
I asked you if you would call that good news, and as far as I know as long as I'm not in your living room or front yard you can't order me to 'get outta here with your crap' so miss me with that ok?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:56 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,277,052 times
Nothing is back to business as usual, even in states that are opening up. People are still social distancing, avoiding large crowds and many businesses still require mask usage. And it's still way too early to tell how this will go only 3 weeks in since Georgia first opened up. The number of infections doesn't tell the full story since not everyone gets tested, but the real indicator will be the number of deaths and it takes over 3 weeks for those numbers to start coming out telling us the real picture of what is going on.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:13 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,779,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You don't understand how shutting things down early has directly correlated to the number of cases/hospitalizations being as low as they are now?

So, by opening up, you're saying that mental health issues will decline? First of all, I think that's a dubious assumption at best, given that people will still not feel safe venturing out when there's no vaccine or even adequate testing/contact tracing. On top of this, do you really think the improvement of mental health cases outweighs the exponential growth potential of this virus? Just look at the growth track before the shut down and afterwards as evidence.
Clearly I understand that, my first post in this thread mentioned how the curve was flattened. And again as I said already the point of the SIP was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm hospitals right? That has clearly happened right? But SIP zealots keep moving the goal post and act like the SIP is to stop the coronavirus dead in its tracks. It's not and never was.

You're going to create a whole another crisis by keeping things locked down for an unreasonable amount of time, that's clearly what the article was saying. Sure some people will not venture out at first but plenty already are. And if they see that things aren't as bad as they or the media made them fear, more will continue to venture out. Feel free to disagree with it if you want in order to keep society locked down for a virus where most people don't get that sick or sick at all, where half the deaths are in nursing homes, and it mostly kills older people and ones with health problems and create a much bigger problem among the healthy population. How does that make any sense? And it's not just mental health, not sure why you are just solely focused on that part from the NYT article. ..

Society is not going back to normal anytime soon so not sure why you think the growth track will be the same.

Last edited by sav858; 05-16-2020 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Clearly I understand that, my first post in this thread mentioned how the curve was flattened. And again as I said already the point of the SIP was to flatten the curve and not overwhelm hospitals right? That has clearly happened right? But SIP zealots keep moving the goal post and act like the SIP is to stop the coronavirus dead in its tracks. It's not and never was.

You're going to create a whole another crisis by keeping things locked down for an unreasonable amount of time, that's clearly what the article was saying. Sure some people will not venture out at first but plenty already are. And if they see that things aren't as bad as they or the media made them fear, more will continue to venture out. Feel free to disagree with it if you want in order to keep society locked down for a virus where most people don't get that sick or sick at all, where half the deaths are in nursing homes, and it mostly kills older people and ones with health problems and create a much bigger problem among the healthy population. How does that make any sense? And it's not just mental health, not sure why you are just solely focused on that part from the NYT article. ..

Society is not going back to normal anytime soon so not sure why you think the growth track will be the same.
the reason SIP was instituted was because of the incompetence and ineptitude of the trump administration which ignored multiple warnings from the CIA NSA,nsc ,military intelligence and cdc and failed to develop and deploy a diagnostic test, contact tracing and surveillance testing resulting in failure to contain Covid.
South Korea,Taiwan , Australia Canada,Germany are examples of countries whose leaders heeded the warnings and instituted a containment plan
4.5 months into this pandemic and the USA still does not have in place adequate testing and manpower for contact tracing and surveillance testing.
The asymptotic spread of covid19 means that opening up the country wIthout these tools in place could go very wrong. It looks like Texas will be a fail. Time will tell.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:31 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,117,586 times
Quote:

I still find this to be a humorous scapegoat. Since when did anyone in government -- Republican or Democrat (but certainly the former) -- when did anyone give two bleeps about people's mental health? Rather, before there was economic incentive for the rich to get people back to work, when did anyone care about people's mental health? lol I haven't heard one Republican clamor over Reagan's repeal of the Mental Health Systems Act 30 years ago (and it's not like the Democrats are much better). Additionally, I could certainly argue the ways in which our system promotes mental instability but I won't drag us down a rabbit hole.

So, when Trump talked about suicide and mental health awareness and that that's the reason we all need to get back to pump up his economy... seriously? Cue the laugh track.

Or we could get into 21st century and make healthcare a thing for people seeing as Pelosi is so beyond purchased that it's not even going to be discussed. Or we could be forward-thinking and make UBI a thing. Who knew that taking care of your populace could actually improve ones mental health?

But, yeah, sorry... going to work for someone else doesn't improve my mental health.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:40 PM

21,838 posts, read 16,511,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I still find this to be a humorous scapegoat. Since when did anyone in government -- Republican or Democrat (but certainly the former) -- when did anyone give two bleeps about people's mental health? Rather, before there was economic incentive for the rich to get people back to work, when did anyone care about people's mental health? lol I haven't heard one Republican clamor over Reagan's repeal of the Mental Health Systems Act 30 years ago (and it's not like the Democrats are much better). Additionally, I could certainly argue the ways in which our system promotes mental instability but I won't drag us down a rabbit hole.

So, when Trump talked about suicide and mental health awareness and that that's the reason we all need to get back to pump up his economy... seriously? Cue the laugh track.

Or we could get into 21st century and make healthcare a thing for people seeing as Pelosi is so beyond purchased that it's not even going to be discussed. Or we could be forward-thinking and make UBI a thing. Who knew that taking care of your populace could actually improve ones mental health?

But, yeah, sorry... going to work for someone else doesn't improve my mental health.
Tell it like it is llowllevell ... lol

Old 05-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
the reason SIP was instituted was because of the incompetence and ineptitude of the trump administration which ignored multiple warnings from the CIA NSA,nsc ,military intelligence and cdc and failed to develop and deploy a diagnostic test, contact tracing and surveillance testing resulting in failure to contain Covid.
South Korea,Taiwan , Australia Canada,Germany are examples of countries whose leaders heeded the warnings and instituted a containment plan
4.5 months into this pandemic and the USA still does not have in place adequate testing and manpower for contact tracing and surveillance testing.
The asymptotic spread of covid19 means that opening up the country wIthout these tools in place could go very wrong. It looks like Texas will be a fail. Time will tell.
No doubt a lot of countries had a much better response than the US but a lot of them also had lockdowns including ones you listed. Either way that doesn't negate anything I said.

So you think a county of 1.2 million and other should remain on lock down because of like 20 people in the hospital? How does that make any sense?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post

Well that's probably why the agency that published those reports/warnings in that article were the UN/UNICEF, not the US. Not really sure how that negates anything that was said in it though. Not sure what is humorous about the risk of "millions of kids dying". You seem to be overly obsessed about the partisan angle to this whole pandemic just like the 'ssmaster'.. Those non-mask wearing, non-social distancing protesters/Trumpers are just as bad as the SIP zealots imo. There is a middle ground you know?

And staying on unemployment does improve your mental health? It will eventually run out you know?

Last edited by sav858; 05-16-2020 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 10:58 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,117,586 times
Quote:
Well that's probably why the agency that published those reports/warnings in that article were the UN/UNICEF, not the US. Not really sure how that negates anything that was said in it though. Not sure what is humorous about the risk of "millions of kids dying". You seem to be overly obsessed about the partisan angle to this whole pandemic just like the 'ssmaster'.. Those non-mask wearing, non-social distancing protesters/Trumpers are just as bad as the SIP zealots imo. There is a middle ground you know?

And staying on unemployment does improve your mental health? It will eventually run out you know?
Sorry, I was referring to a right wing talking point during this crisis and not the article itself. I don't actually have an issue with your thoughts on this topic -- they're not ill-conceived and we seem to both have rational fears of the virus, but I believe that one very over-stated thing right now is this idea of mental health as a reason for returning to work. It's partially a shield in an attempt to dissuade the masses from getting too comfortable outside of the slave system.

Re: happiness on unemployment. It has improved my mental health. Sadly, I lost an uncle to COVID, lost my job, and one of my lenders refused the refinance despite my having no interest in removing any equity (a foreshadowing of depressing things to come for the working classes). But I've long since disconnected myself from the rat race. I'd rather witness people getting back to what they were long ago or considering who or what they want to be when this all returns to some semblance of normalcy. I think a lot of people might see this for what it is and decide that a different way of life might suit them. Or they'll take the trip they always considered as soon as it's possible. We might even see revolutions. Maybe even here when people figure out what this all is. It can be a liberating time for people, truthfully. So, I'm enjoying the fireworks, being frugal, learning how to really cook well, reading books I always said I'd finish. I've been on more hikes in the past 2 and a half months than I've probably taken in the past 5 years. Just like with my uncle... there's going to be some sorrow and some sacrifices, but these are the times we get to truly learn who we are. Occasionally there will be some who don't like what they learn, but for a great many, this time is just a nice respite from the system. I believe most people would feel that too if the media ever dared talk like this, though. So, instead, we're being told that we hate this time of uncertainty, that we'll be suicidal or stricken with mental illness, so we should instead know that we've overcome the situation, and we're all ready to be at work, to get our steady paycheck, and then we'll be content.

You know, you don't want the cure to be worse than the disease... =P

Nonsense, right? It's a potentially great time to be alive!

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 05-16-2020 at 11:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland