Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,903 times

Advertisements

If you like Milton, you might also like Albany, CA in the East Bay--it's a smaller residential city, but immediately adjacent to Berkeley (and a BART station into the city) with excellent schools, parks, etc. I don't know the Peninsula communities well, but I hear good things about Burlingame in that regard as well. I think Albany is less expensive, but also probably has fewer large homes available as many are pre-WWII bungalows (versus the Peninsula, which grew a lot after the war).

Piedmont is much more affluent and less diverse than Milton, so it depends on what you're going for. (Think upscale parts of Newton and Brookline, Chestnut Hill, a little bit of Wellesley, etc.) It has a well-earned nickname of being a "City of Millionaires"--but the homes are lovely and, in some areas, estate-like, and it has some of the best parks (and schools and services) around. You get what you pay for, I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 30,594 times
Albany is a great little town- Liberal, diverse, no snobbery, but also without the anarchic craziness of Berkeley. Schools are up there with any Bay Area district and great shopping strip along Solano Avenue. Also, you can walk to K-12 schools and virtually anywhere in the town.

For my family, though, the BIG stumbling block is that there is nothing close to 4/3, with 2500 sq.ft. The median house is between 800 and 1500 sq.ft. And the homes are built on an old-fashioned scale so that everything looks minaturized to about a three-quarters scale. Can anyone think of a town in the Bay Area that would approximate Albany, but where it is possible to find a 2000 sq.ft. home?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
What about Alameda? Not sure if the houses there are any larger, but it seems to be similar to Albany (based on your description). I also don't know much about the schools, or if they even have a school district of their own.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 AM

9 posts, read 31,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
Piedmont is much more affluent and less diverse than Milton, so it depends on what you're going for. (Think upscale parts of Newton and Brookline, Chestnut Hill, a little bit of Wellesley, etc.) It has a well-earned nickname of being a "City of Millionaires"--but the homes are lovely and, in some areas, estate-like, and it has some of the best parks (and schools and services) around. You get what you pay for, I guess!

I like the houses/schools/ and general feel of Newton but could not tolerate the snobbery. I chose Milton because it is a bit affluent but lacks much of the snobbery that you find in so many upscale NE towns. Personally I could tolerate just about anything but I have to factor in that in a few years I'll have children and want them to be level headed and not worry about keeping up with what others around are doing. Maybe I'll get a little of this no matter where I live but I think the more down to earth the town the better. Right now it seems that Burlingame has most of what I'm looking for so I will concentrate my search on that area (unless someone provides me with a town that has similar qualities). Thanks for your input.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Some Burlingame photos. The train station is still used by Caltrain.

Burlingame Pictures - California stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

Old 06-10-2008, 01:09 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I dont really consider Burlingame "close to the City" in the sense that its almost a urban suburb-in fact its quite removed. That area is definitely suburban but very nice nonetheless.

One thing about that entire area that just turns me off is the airport being so close and huge airplanes always flying overhead. Not really that bad in Burlingame the way it is in Millbrae, San Bruno and South SF, but it is a factor that I dont like.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimadrew View Post
Albany is a great little town- Liberal, diverse, no snobbery, but also without the anarchic craziness of Berkeley. Schools are up there with any Bay Area district and great shopping strip along Solano Avenue. Also, you can walk to K-12 schools and virtually anywhere in the town.

For my family, though, the BIG stumbling block is that there is nothing close to 4/3, with 2500 sq.ft. The median house is between 800 and 1500 sq.ft. And the homes are built on an old-fashioned scale so that everything looks minaturized to about a three-quarters scale. Can anyone think of a town in the Bay Area that would approximate Albany, but where it is possible to find a 2000 sq.ft. home?
Albany is awesome if your trying to raise kids to have progressive values. One of the best all around towns in the Bay Area, absolutely.

Oh, and Rockridge is just perfect too.

YouTube - Rockridge

Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont really consider Burlingame "close to the City" in the sense that its almost a urban suburb-in fact its quite removed. That area is definitely suburban but very nice nonetheless.

One thing about that entire area that just turns me off is the airport being so close and huge airplanes always flying overhead. Not really that bad in Burlingame the way it is in Millbrae, San Bruno and South SF, but it is a factor that I dont like.
Burlingame is about 20 miles from SF - about the same distance between SF and Piedmont and other East Bay places mentioned and there is no bridge to cross. And face it, the bay bridge is often a slow crawl during the commute hours.

Also, planes rarely fly over Burlingame or San Mateo. To land, they approach the airport over the bay - about 2 miles east of Burlingame. Planes taking off from the airport, fly directly over San Bruno and South San Francisco at full throttle which is very noisy .

Old 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Burlingame is about 20 miles from SF - about the same distance between SF and Piedmont and other East Bay places mentioned and there is no bridge to cross. And face it, the bay bridge is often a slow crawl during the commute hours.
Google Maps says Piedmont is 11.5 miles from the Transamerica Pyramid and Burlingame is 18.1 miles from the Pyramid.

True the Bay Bridge is really bad, but if a person in Piedmont takes BART at Rockridge, they get off right on Market Street, whereas someone from Burlingame would take CalTrain and get dropped far away from the Financial District/ Union Square area. From the station they'd actually have to take a bus to get into the heart of DT.

But its more than just distance, there's a state of mind in the East Bay is just as progressive as San Francisco and far more so than the Peninsula. Piedmont may be rich, but walk a few blocks in any direction and your surrounded by neighborhoods with lots of gay & lesbian couples, interracial families, immigrant communities from Ethopia to Korea, hipsters, scientists and poets, feminists, politically minded intellectuals, eco-conscious, cosmopolitan people, dare I say, a bit more cosmpolitan than what one would find in and around Burlingame.

Dont get me wrong, when my dad immigrated to America, he lived in San Mateo and I have lots of relatives who live there. Its a nice place indeed. Burlingame is in a nice area and surrounded by other nice suburbs.

Quote:
Also, planes rarely fly over Burlingame or San Mateo. To land, they approach the airport over the bay - about 2 miles east of Burlingame. Planes taking off from the airport, fly directly over San Bruno and South San Francisco at full throttle which is very noisy .
I know, I was on Sneath Lane one time when a huge Asiana 747 boomed by.....just scary. LOL

Old 02-21-2009, 03:53 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Albany is awesome if your trying to raise kids to have progressive values. One of the best all around towns in the Bay Area, absolutely.

Oh, and Rockridge is just perfect too.

YouTube - Rockridge
That was a cute video. Thanks for sharing. Can you tell that I am devouring anything I can about the Albany area? The square footage of the houses in Albany are not a problem for us. We need less than 1600 sq ft for our family for sure! I don't feel like I am stealing this thread since the OP hasn't been on since June of last year. So many people seem to join, post a few messages and never return. Perhaps that means they found their place. It would be nice to hear an update from people though so we know where they landed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland