Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 81,110 times

Advertisements

I always find these discussions kinda funny. I really do feel that unless you plan to move into a neighborhood and start slangin or bangin what problems do you really expect to encounter? home invasion? mugging?

To Compare So Cal to the Bay Area is hard because of the geographic size.
As stated before "latino" gangs are prolly the most active and spread out.
Turf gangs are the standard, rep the set
If you took the largest cities in So Cal and compared crime rates to
SF
Oakland
Vallejo
East Palo Alto
Richmond
Berkely
Pittsburg

I think numbers would be pretty close
LA has 4 million people
SF is 800,000

So to look at just plain numbers doesnt help you have to look at crime rates, and also So Cal is much more spread out compared to the denisity of the bay area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 81,110 times
RIP Mike Bologna and his family members
Your all missed by all

Old 01-27-2009, 12:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
. Whats your point? Random violence happens everywhere.
Yeah that was my point, those type of random incidents happen in the Bay Area as well just like SoCal even though you were trying to claim they don't happen as often as there.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah that was my point, those type of random incidents happen in the Bay Area as well just like SoCal even though you were trying to claim they don't happen as often as there.
No I said gang related crime doesn't happen here as often. But I agree with you otherwise.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,203 times
I have to agree with sav858. It is very rare for someone in L.A. to get shot because they have on the wrong colors. That was a staple of the Crips and Bloods and their dominance in the 1980s and early 1990s. Those gangs have lost a significant amount of their power and influence over the last 15 years. Part of it is the demographic shifts in the Los Angeles metro. The other part is the consolidation of power of the Latino gangs and their growth in numbers.

In fact, many former rival black L.A. gangs are at a cease fire because they can't afford to fight each other and the Latino gangs.

Also, just because the Crips and Bloods never took off in the Bay does not mean groups like MS 13 won't. For the record, I hope they never do. But you are talking about two different gang cultures. MS 13 is transnational and interconnected. Even though there are Crips and Bloods in other cities outside of L.A. they are not very connected, if at all. They are not taking orders from a central leadership structure. However, for many Latino gangs that exactly what is happening.

The Bay area is no different. The best bet is to understand what you are dealing with. Don't underestimate things or assume it can never happen where you are because it never has.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,509 times
There's more than being shot. Being jumped and harassed about the colors you have on is not a good thing either , which happens .

Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 PM

100 posts, read 280,868 times
Well, let's take a quick look at this. Currently, it is estimated that there are 25,000 black gang members in and around L.A., but their numbers are now dwarfed by some 53,000 Latino gang members. For instance, Compton was a Blood/Crip stronghold up thru c. 1995; today it's about the black/Latino gang ratio is about 50/50. I wouldn't be so sure about the Bloods & Crips not being so well-connected though. Portland had a problem with them from the late 1980's thru mid-90's; they spread like wildfire in Las Vegas. There are now sets in locales as disparate as St. Louis, Little Rock, and East Orange, N.J.; in the last two places precisely because some West Coast members took trips out there.

The Bloods & Crips formed for completely different reasons than MS-13, though. Whereas the former emerged from the ashes of the Black Power Movement, MS 13 came about in the late 1970's as new Central American immigrants protected themselves from Mexican and black gangs upon arriving in Los Angeles. Then they were deported, and only then did it spread to Central America itself.

Finally, about the Bay Area...at the same time that the Bloods & Crips were getting VERY violent in L.A., there was a man in Oakland named Felix Mitchell. Find out more about him and you'll understand a big part of the reason why the Bloods & Crips could never get to the Bay Area.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 50,810 times
yes la has more gangs.in the bay there is no bloods or crips and if there is its the tongans or samoans but still on turf/ block ****. the gangs u will c up here r the nortes and surs. ms 13 is not big at all its funny how u guys let the media think that they are so powerful, the leader in sf got killed a year or 2 ago the nortes seem to be holding down their hoods pretty well since they r the most organized gang in california. there are a lot of surenos but most of them are form the bay that want to fit in so they start claiming the south side. the density is also a big part. in sf and oakland they both had over 100 murders in such a small radious with speaded out all over the map not just in certain areas. from what ive seen in la is you can live there your whole life and not even go down town cuz its so big but in sf you always feel like your in a city same with oakland its just not as much people running around. the minority in the bay is also way less then that of la. blacks are 7% 21% hispanic (in sf its 6% and 16%)(la 10% 47%). and i dont know what you are talking about with the 90s. epa was murder cap sf and oakland had there crack eras mostly 89 tho. la will always have quantity but we always have quality. im not just sayn this cuz im from the bay but really i kick it with gang members from mission hayward rwc and its really just the nortenos and surenos that gang bang other then that its turf politics. in la the blacks fight latinos up here they are connected. 2 different styles so really there is no say who is harder. oakland richmond epa vallejo stockton sacramento and sf many parts of the eastbay. as down there east la compton inglewood watts lbc south cent and so on. there aint no crips and bloods its just pimps hustlas and thugs up in the north pole.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 PM

58 posts, read 221,020 times
i find it funny that people downplay the black gangs in the bay area just because they are for the most part not blood or crip affiliated. the turf or drug gangs whatever you prefer to categorize them as are just as dangerous. you have gangs like the Project Trojans in Richmond responsible for hundreds of murders. i've found sources that attribute 90% of North Richmonds murders to the Trojans. in Oakland there's gangs like Acorn & Ghost Town that had a feud amounting to dozens of killings. there's numerous examples I'm just mentioning a few from memory. you're not too likely to get harassed or accosted over colors but i think that's mainly just a stereotype of how gangs in california operate. these cities have their own take on the gang culture & are ever-present in many of the communities.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:46 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffman View Post
i find it funny that people downplay the black gangs in the bay area just because they are for the most part not blood or crip affiliated. the turf or drug gangs whatever you prefer to categorize them as are just as dangerous. you have gangs like the Project Trojans in Richmond responsible for hundreds of murders. i've found sources that attribute 90% of North Richmonds murders to the Trojans. in Oakland there's gangs like Acorn & Ghost Town that had a feud amounting to dozens of killings. there's numerous examples I'm just mentioning a few from memory. you're not too likely to get harassed or accosted over colors but i think that's mainly just a stereotype of how gangs in california operate. these cities have their own take on the gang culture & are ever-present in many of the communities.
Very true. We have no bloods or crips (except for some asian, samoan, and tongan gangs that claim it)...there were a couple blood anc crip gangs back in the day, and there were one or two in SF...but they were vastly outnumbered by the other gangs, and they're not around anymore. Of course we do have latino gangs: Nortenos (Nortenos aren't strictly latino though) and Surenos, who bang the same way bloods and crips do (we have MS-13 too, but they aren't very big, and I don't know much about how they work...i'm pretty sure they're allied with the surenos though), and who also wear red and blue, but all the black gangs operate just with the purpose of making money (drug dealing, etc). Some examples of "turf/drug" gangs in San Francisco:

Fillmore:
-Eddy Rock
-Knock Out Posse
-Chopper City

Lower Haight:
-Page Street Mob

Hunters Point:
-Big Block
-West Mob
-Oakdale Mob

Sunnydale/Visitacion Valley:
-Down Below Gang

We also have asian gangs, such as Wah Ching, Joe Boys and Bahala Na (this one's Filipino).

Last edited by rah; 02-15-2009 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland