Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Thanks. What is the social scene there like? I do not anticipate the Mission being what I'm looking for. So I hope it's not an extension of there.
No, it's nothing like the Mission.. it's a mix of urban yuppies, the ballpark crowd, and young out-of-towners from Palo Alto/Mountain View who take Caltrain in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:
Great. really appreciate the detailed nature of the post!

Hermosa Beach will have several days each spring/summer where it will be completely overcast the entire day. I'll estimate it to be around 20 days between April and August with absolutely zero sunshine attributed solely to the marine layer. Not to mention the days where there are several daylight hours with no sunshine before/after it ultimately burns off. Most people don't know this becuase they just loop Hermosa under the L.A. umbrella. And, to be clear, if you go about a mile inland from the coast you would see sun on an overwhelming majority of those days. But not in Hermosa. Hermosa and the south bay beach cities are by far the most overcast parts of the L.A. and OC counties. Could it be that a not insignificant chunk of SF gets as much or more sun than Hermosa Beach??
From somebody that has lived in LA and in SF I would say yes. The Upper Mission and Portrero Districts, as well as South Beach are sunnier. from what I have read on your other posts, you're not digging the Upper Mission very much, but you should at least check out Portrero and South Beach. If you are turned off from the Mission because I told you that it's dangerous, let me point one thing out; although it's got its share of murders, gang members and hustlers, it is a very diverse area and people go there from all over the city to the Mission to eat, go clubbing ect., so it isn't one of those areas where if you look like and outsider people are gonna be like, "what cha doing here" and beat you down or rob you. At least, I haven't had that experience and I used to live there. But if your just not digging the vibe and want an area with more of a young professional feel, that's another story.

Last edited by jfields; 06-17-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Great. really appreciate the detailed nature of the post!

Hermosa Beach will have several days each spring/summer where it will be completely overcast the entire day. I'll estimate it to be around 20 days between April and August with absolutely zero sunshine attributed solely to the marine layer. Not to mention the days where there are several daylight hours with no sunshine before/after it ultimately burns off. Most people don't know this becuase they just loop Hermosa under the L.A. umbrella. And, to be clear, if you go about a mile inland from the coast you would see sun on an overwhelming majority of those days. But not in Hermosa. Hermosa and the south bay beach cities are by far the most overcast parts of the L.A. and OC counties. Could it be that a not insignificant chunk of SF gets as much or more sun than Hermosa Beach??
Yes, that's correct. In some places, you are nearly 7 miles east of Ocean Beach. If there is no fog gap upwind from you, then it means more of a typical "bayside" climate. I lived in South Beach and echo previous comments. Also, friends in Bernal Hts, the Mission, Noe over the years. All these places are much sunnier in mid summer than when I lived in the Sunset a few years after my South Beach stint.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:31 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
what the heck do you mean by that? It's always sunnier in The Mission, and it is filled with straight hipsters in their 20 & 30's...but if you're scared of it, then that's your problem.
That's the type of thing I'd have to see in person to know. Maybe it would be great for me.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
From somebody that has lived in LA and in SF I would say yes. The Upper Mission and Portrero Districts, as well as South Beach are sunnier. from what I have read on your other posts, you're not digging the Upper Mission very much, but you should at least check out Portrero and South Beach. If you are turned off from the Mission because I told you that it's dangerous, let me point one thing out; although it's got its share of murders, gang members and hustlers, it is a very diverse area and people go there from all over the city to the Mission to eat, go clubbing ect., so it isn't one of those areas where if you look like and outsider people are gonna be like, "what cha doing here" and beat you down or rob you. At least, I haven't had that experience and I used to live there. But if your just not digging the vibe and want an area with more of a young professional feel, that's another story.
Yeah very interesting stuff. L.A. is defintely sunnier than SF on a general level, but I'm used to Hermosa Beach...so I may not see much/any difference in eastern SF.

I am looking for a young professional feel. Cow Hollow/Marina/Pac Hieghts seems like the surest bet. But, it's such a compact city that I may not be strictly limited to those areas. But I would say I would lean heavily towards those areas if they are what people say they are. And, heck, it's not like I couldn't head over to South Beach or Mission etc for lunch or something.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Any thoughts on North Beach? Both in terms of the demographic and amount of sun I'm looking for?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
North Beach is slightly sunnier than Marina / Cow Hollow. Very dense, crap parking. Lots of fun restos and bars plus some more serious restos in the mix. A few shops including the famous City Lights. On Broadway there are still a few strip joints, a carry over from when that was a proper red light district years ago.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on North Beach? Both in terms of the demographic and amount of sun I'm looking for?
Even though North Beach is just as far east as Mission, Portrero and just a little west of South Beach, it's gonna be the foggiest of these 4 neighboorhoods. When the fog moves far to the east, which happens quite often, Twin Peaks often shields the neighboorhoods directly to the East (Mission, Portrero, South Beach) from the fog, because the fog is below the top of Twin Peaks and therefore doesn't make it past them. The only times I really ever went to North Beach were to go to bars and clubs or to wander around after visiting pier 39 when I would be with people from out of town. So I'm not that familiar with the demographics, but I'd say it defenetely has more of that young professional feel that your looking for than the Mission. I wouldn't be able to say either way if it has a more young professional feel than Portrero or South Beach.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
what the heck do you mean by that? It's always sunnier in The Mission, and it is filled with straight hipsters in their 20 & 30's...but if you're scared of it, then that's your problem.
Part of the mission is filled with hipsters in their 20's and 30's....that would be the heavily gentrified part from Valencia street westwards, towards Noe valley and the Castro. A good 2/3rds of the Mission is not like this however, and has a majority hispanic population. It's also one of the sketchier parts of the city in terms of crime (There have been 36 murders in the Mission since 2007, 29 of them to the east of Valencia).

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Part of the mission is filled with hipsters in their 20's and 30's....that would be the heavily gentrified part from Valencia street westwards, towards Noe valley and the Castro. A good 2/3rds of the Mission is not like this however, and has a majority hispanic population. It's also one of the sketchier parts of the city in terms of crime (There have been 36 murders in the Mission since 2007, 29 of them to the east of Valencia).
I see your point,er, kind of. I guess I'm blind to the "sketchiness" that some folks seem to think it is. I've lived in NYC & DC (in the sketchy parts) so the Mission is really not that sketchy to me. I've lived in sketchier parts of SF...so I guess...
Bottom line is, SF is no Hermosa Beach no matter where you slice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland