Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 12:55 PM

283 posts, read 434,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And your post is a good example of the underappreciation of sarcasm that E Coasters accuse Bay Area residents of.
I've never appreciated sarcasm as it's a really disjointed attempt at humor and communication and fails on both levels imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 03:20 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I've never appreciated sarcasm as it's a really disjointed attempt at humor and communication and fails on both levels imo.
I have to say, I agree.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:24 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And your post is a good example of the underappreciation of sarcasm that E Coasters accuse Bay Area residents of.
I can't believe anyone would bump a 2 year old thread to go on a rant based on a stereotype of an imaginary person.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:03 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
Why Are People In The Bay Area So Soft?
My family moved to the Bay Area when I was in middle school; as an adult, I’ve lived in several cities, including NYC and SF. I’ll take (the ‘softness’ of) the latter over obnoxious, impatient and (ignorantly) aggressive folks any day of the week.

That said, you appear to be missing what the Bay Area (and its ‘soft people’, lol) are about i.e. the area’s premier wine-growing region, natural beauty/recreation, exceptional universities and the largest tech talent pool in the US.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
My family moved to the Bay Area when I was in middle school; as an adult, I’ve lived in several cities, including NYC and SF. I’ll take (the ‘softness’ of) the latter over obnoxious, impatient and (ignorantly) aggressive folks any day of the week.

That said, you appear to be missing what the Bay Area (and its ‘soft people’, lol) are about i.e. the area’s premier wine-growing region, natural beauty/recreation, exceptional universities and the largest tech talent pool in the US.
My problem is that I love all the same things about the Bay Area, but I also prefer New Yorkers to San Franciscans. I find that directness and neurosis hilarious and normal. In SF, and CA in general, people are way too into cultivating an image of themselves that represents a balance of mind, body, and soul. New Yorkers don't have the patience for that, and neither do I. I like ppl who are real and tell you what they really think! :-)

Old 03-19-2024, 12:48 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
My problem is that I love all the same things about the Bay Area, but I also prefer New Yorkers to San Franciscans. I find that directness and neurosis hilarious and normal. In SF, and CA in general, people are way too into cultivating an image of themselves that represents a balance of mind, body, and soul. New Yorkers don't have the patience for that, and neither do I. I like ppl who are real and tell you what they really think! :-)
Well, really, everybody is real … whether they’re up front about it or not.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
My problem is that I love all the same things about the Bay Area, but I also prefer New Yorkers to San Franciscans.
I lived in NYC for a few years; I think it’s ultimately about lifestyle, because the folks in my social circle are/were similar no matter where I’ve lived. As such, I prefer the Bay Area’s recreation, weather, scenic beauty and (professional) vibe i.e. less ruthless, as a whole.

Quote:
In SF, and CA in general, people are way too into cultivating an image of themselves that represents a balance of mind, body, and soul. New Yorkers don't have the patience for that, and neither do I.
One’s psychological health and physical fitness are both important, no matter where you live (as is patience and acceptance that we’re all different). That said, actually, SF has a high percentage of folks (such as myself) who do not believe in any god or a ‘soul’.

Quote:
I like ppl who are real and tell you what they really think! :-)
I agree this is more likely to occur on the streets in NYC; generally-speaking, folks are more angry/hostile. Too often, such strangers feel entitled to give you a ‘piece of their mind’ (and you’re supposed to care). I prefer persons who are friendly, laid-back and socially intelligent i.e. they are adept at reading the room.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:51 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default Why Are People In The Bay Area So Soft?

Because we're spoiled by the mild climate.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:16 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I lived in NYC for a few years; I think it’s ultimately about lifestyle, because the folks in my social circle are/were similar no matter where I’ve lived. As such, I prefer the Bay Area’s recreation, weather, scenic beauty and (professional) vibe i.e. less ruthless, as a whole.

One’s psychological health and physical fitness are both important, no matter where you live (as is patience and acceptance that we’re all different). That said, actually, SF has a high percentage of folks (such as myself) who do not believe in any god or a ‘soul’.

I agree this is more likely to occur on the streets in NYC; generally-speaking, folks are more angry/hostile. Too often, such strangers feel entitled to give you a ‘piece of their mind’ (and you’re supposed to care). I prefer persons who are friendly, laid-back and socially intelligent i.e. they are adept at reading the room.
Not really hence why so many people there can be like that. People in CA and Bay Area care too much and have thin skin.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
People in CA and Bay Area care too much and have thin skin.
Too funny. I’ve always been the type of guy to assess folks one-on-one vs. relative to stereotypes, politics, drama or bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland