Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Golden Gate County be formed?
Yes 18 32.73%
No 37 67.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM

34 posts, read 65,653 times

Advertisements

When thinking about rich Bay Area cities don't forget South San Francisco. While it doesn't sport the sprawling mansions you might associate with Atherton and Menlo Park, it does have a well-managed government and a city master plan that has assured money in city coffers, financing for city infrastructure, and a level of service that San Francisco has been hard pressed to achieve. Their parks have remained open, their streets repaired and their city services available on a more consistent basis than many of their contemporaries.

And as long as the topic of citizenry acting at a local level is on the table, how about the NIMBYism in San Francisco that has kept Muni railcar service out of the Geary street corridor? A machine-bored underground line from Union Square to Point Lobos, with a cross line from Stonestown to the Presidio would have a long list of benefits to both City and greater Bay Area residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
This is the most balkanized connurbation I've ever lived in.

Conversation overheard in Europe:

"Where are you from?"

"I am from Cupertino."

"Where is that, I've never heard of it."

"Oh, it's near San Jose."

"Is that in Costa Rica then?"

"No, not THAT San Jose, the one that's near San Francisco."

DOH!!!

Whether living in El Cerrito, Oakland, Sunnyvale, Berkeley, Los Altos, San Mateo, unincorporated San Mateo County ... or ... San Francisco ... my answer would have been ... SAN FRANCISCO!!!

(Of course, I voted yes).

Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
As if the capital of Costa Rica is that famous, either...

Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntDianesArk View Post
I live in Marin, and I HATE the idea!
You would.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post

2. Bart all the way Mountain View(stops in every major town along the way)
I would love to see this -- however, let's not stop at Mountain View. How about all the way to Santa Clara? BART (the Fremont/Warm Springs Line) is being extended down to Milpitas & San Jose, then through San Jose and up the other side to Santa Clara. http://www.vta.org/bart/documents/other/bart_fact.pdf (broken link)

If this actually gets finished, it would make sense to close the loop between Millbrae & Santa Clara. Or rather, it wouldn't make sense not to.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
I don't know why anyone in San Mateo or Marin would want that. San Francisco's government is hopelessly bloated and corrupt.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM

290 posts, read 570,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is the most balkanized connurbation I've ever lived in.

Conversation overheard in Europe:

"Where are you from?"

"I am from Cupertino."

"Where is that, I've never heard of it."

"Oh, it's near San Jose."

"Is that in Costa Rica then?"

"No, not THAT San Jose, the one that's near San Francisco."

DOH!!!

Whether living in El Cerrito, Oakland, Sunnyvale, Berkeley, Los Altos, San Mateo, unincorporated San Mateo County ... or ... San Francisco ... my answer would have been ... SAN FRANCISCO!!!

(Of course, I voted yes).
I agree. I have friends who go to college from other parts of the country and their amazed at the fact that other cities around the bay don't identify with the core city of the area witch is San Francisco. SF Bay Area residents tend to catigorize themselves into 4 different factions. While in most other major american cities every one identifies with the major urban core city.
The SF Bay is divided into Wine County(NORTH),Silicon Valley(SOUTH), East Bay(EAST) and the Golden Gate(WEST).
North Bays major city is Santa Rosa
East Bay major city Oakland
West Bay major city San Francisco
South Bay being San Jose.

So knowing this I know that we dont have a chance into uniting the SF Bay Area into one county or get them all under one regional government. SO I got to go for the next best thing witch is uniting the West Bay San Francisco Golden Gate side of the bay. And hopefully later the rest of the bay area could join us.

Last edited by goonzy; 08-23-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 PM

224 posts, read 605,223 times
No thanks.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 PM

290 posts, read 570,327 times
Novato to Mountain View, we can do it, we need unity and cooperation. We need to stop viewing ourselves as different and distinct entities and we need to realize that we our geographically united. We share this peace of land and this beatiful bay, and instead of having 4 different counties with their own rules and systems and ways of doing things. We need to unify into one 1 county so we can have regional planning on issues such as transportation, job markets, bay pollution and air pollution(pollution doesn't respect county lines), housing and so on and also merging will be cost effective because we will get rid of duplication of services provided by county governments and get rid of the barriers that stop cities in different counties to work together even though they might be neighbors. For the future and progress of San Francisco and the surrounding areas, we most unite and start acting like 1 unit. I know Oakland and the East Bay will never join us. They are so concerned about home rule, they been fighting efforts of unity since the start. And San Jose and silicon valley have to much economic power to even think about joining with us.
So its up to San Francisco and its immediate suburbs to unify in the name of progress and growth. Its time for the Marin and San Francisco Peninsulas to unite. Its time for the Golden Gate to unify and take its place as the modern Constantinopole. The Gate Keepers of paradise .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland