Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times

Advertisements

I have searched and read back other posts and crimereports.org, but I still wonder what do people think of this area? As far as safety, schools, shopping, charm, etc? I will admit, I've never been there (only to nearby Willow Glen which is adorable in most areas). How is for commuting towards San Jose airport?

Thanks.

ETA: And why is it called "Cambrian Park?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM

30 posts, read 81,695 times
I'm originally from Cambrian. LOVE the area, and I've lived throughout the city. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to SJC. The schools (elementary up to high) are some of the best in the city and it's pretty much in the middle of everywhere. It's in the middle of two major malls, easy to get to the airport, easy access to the major highways in the city, and is really safe. Of course, despite the recent crime rate in east SJ, the city is one of the safest, largest cities in the country. If it wasn't for my current job situation, I would move back to Cambrian in a flash.

When the area was built (early 50s) there was pretty much NOTHING in the area. All orchards and farms (prunes, etc) Bascom Avenue was then called the San Jose-Los Gatos Road and it was really the only main road in the city. I don't know why they chose "Cambrian" but I had always heard it was because the people who lived here was reminded of the pre-historic era of Cambrian...be interested if anyone else has any input!

Update:
I've just remembered hearing that one of the founders of the Cambrian area was from Wales...and that he named the area after an ancient type of cambrian whales... don't know if that's true though.

Last edited by Brezofleur; 03-26-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I think Cambrian has more convenience than Willow Glen. Not Wal-Mart, but there's a Target, a big Smart & Final, and other useful stores. When I lived in Evergreen I would drive all the way across the city to the S&F on Hillsdale. I live near the border with Cambrian at Almaden & Capitol, and the commute to the airport would be a predictable 20 minutes using Almaden and 87.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
Oh good to know!

I abhor and boycott Wal-mart, so that's a bonus for me. I should abhor Target, but I have to shop somewhere.

Is it just lacking the charm and walkable downtown of Willow Glen? I'm trying to wrap my head around why it seems to cost less there.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
It is lacking some charm, depending on the area. Around Branham it's pretty much a sea of samey-looking houses and condos. Around Bascom or Union it's more interesting.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM

560 posts, read 581,679 times
One of the reasons why its costlier than cambrian is that homes there are generally nicer especially the area around downtown willow glen on Lincoln which really adds to the charm of living there. Many residents enjoy the convenience of being able to walk to downtown willow glen to shop dine etc. Has a very safe vibe there. That said, cambrian is not a bad place to live by any stretch, it just doesnt have the charm of a downtown willow glen.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Oh good to know!

I abhor and boycott Wal-mart, so that's a bonus for me. I should abhor Target, but I have to shop somewhere.

Is it just lacking the charm and walkable downtown of Willow Glen? I'm trying to wrap my head around why it seems to cost less there.
It is only slightly less these days. Did you read the post about the 1,700 sq. ft. home that needs a little work selling for $935,000?...hard to believe. As for downtown, Los Gatos is a convenient four or less miles from most Cambrian residents.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 AM

197 posts, read 347,781 times
I have lived in Cambrian for 10 years now and I really love it. I personally don't think it lacks charm at all. There are beautiful tree lined streets with huge lots (ours is 12,500) and it borders Campbell and Los Gatos so you get the convenience of being super close to those downtowns not to mention it's a quick freeway drive to downtown San Jose. We ride our bikes to Campbell all the time for dinner. And now that the North 40 is going in we'll be a short bike ride from there too. The schools are really good here and the community is really tight. It's also very central which is awesome. The prices are going up though because more people are discovering the community so I think it's on the verge of becoming another unaffordable area..which is kind of a bummer. I just checked out the MLS and it looks like even the 1200 sf houses are 700K +. Houses that are 2000 sf + are high 900K and 1 million +.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose