Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 PM

11 posts, read 23,530 times

Advertisements

I have just gotten a job offer for a position in Atherton. I know I can't afford to live there, but I am looking for decent areas for rentals that would keep my commute under control.

We are a family of 3 (two adults and a 13yo), so we're looking to rent a 2bed/1bath. I'm hoping to stay under $2500. My job is going to pay $5000 of my relocation costs, and will give me a place to stay for a while after I get there. My family will follow after the school year is over. I've looked at Fremont, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and West San Jose.

My husband and I are not conservative types. We don't typically live in "family" neighborhoods. We're okay with a neighborhood that some people might consider a bit shady, although we want to avoid high crime areas. We like to live in areas that have a lot of local businesses and restaurants. We hate strip malls and cookie cutter housing developments. Here in Tucson, we live in an historic neighborhood right by the University of Arizona. We really like that kind of vibe.

Our son has autism, so I'm concerned about schools with decent special ed programs. If anyone has experience in that area, it would be much appreciated. In Tucson, he doesn't necessarily have to attend the neighborhood school; he attends a school with a special program for autistic students. The students live in various parts of the city, and some are bused in. Do they have similar programs in California? Or do they "mainstream" the students?

Also, if anyone has any information about the state's programs for the disabled, I'd really appreciate it. Here in Arizona, he gets services from the state including occupational therapy, speech therapy, habilitation and respite care. I'm assuming California offers similar services, but how do I go about getting them for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
First, why commute from Santa Clara or Sunnyvale or San Jose, if you don't have to? Commuting is terrible here. Live as close to where you work as possible. Then travel to other areas after rush hour or on weekends, etc.

Here's a Craigslist search for 2 bedroom rentals maximum $2500 on the peninsula:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/a..._type=&excats=

I see some decent options listed. I'm not familiar with San Mateo, personally, but I see posters here saying great things about it all the time. That it may suit your likes as far as nice downtown area, etc.

Mountain View also has a quaint downtown and is a great town.

The peninsula is not an area I'm familiar with, so you can ask about specifics from others here as far as other towns that pop up on the search.

I just moved from Santa Clara after living there for 10 years. Nice, safe town - pretty much all strip malls, though. Same thing with Sunnyvale.

I used to work for Alta California Regional Center in Sacramento. It is state funded for the same type of services for your son, that you mentioned. They serve counties in the Sacto area, but here is the state site where you can find the regional center you would use, depending on what county you lived in:

Lookup Regional Centers by County

These are all state funded, so I don't think the quality should vary county to county.

I will say that county-based health care is really good, in my experience, in Santa Clara County, which is a relatively wealthy county. If you would be using county services, too, you may want to stick to Santa Clara County, which would include Mountain View.

You may want to get feedback on county services in San Mateo county, if you consider moving to San Mateo, etc.

Welcome to CA!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Found an autism school in San Jose:

Programs and Services « Morgan Autism Center

This one is in Santa Clara:

http://pacificautism.org/

Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Let me chime in on Santa Clara...Santa Clara Unified School District has pretty good special ed services (I've subbed there in various schools). I know that Westwood Elementary, which is about 1/2 mile from the Pacific Autism Center, even has a SpEd preschool.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

This one is in Santa Clara:

http://pacificautism.org/

Yes, this place is great. Our program works with their students after they age out or move on (that's one of our guys on their front page!).

OP, you will want to get an evaluation done by the nearest regional center to where you choose to move. In the South Bay, it's San Andreas Regional Center, w/office in Campbell. San Andreas Regional Center - Internet
They can point you in the direction of programs best suited for your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose