Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times

Advertisements

Trident submarines don't go into foreign ports, and the fast attack submarine I was on was in drydock the whole time, but the trident visited these places while I was aboard: point Loma naval submarine base (San Diego), pearl harbor naval submarine base, southeast Alaska acoustic measurement facility in Ketchikan. I also lived at Groton naval submarine base in Connecticut for 16 weeks, for basic enlisted submarine school and sonar "a" school (sts "a" school). The homeport for both submarines was Bangor naval submarine base, across Puget sound from Seattle.

So I've lived in some interesting places in the USA and visited others, and I think San Jose is awesome.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 PM

1,486 posts, read 292,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
The San Jose Blog: Saturday Stats: Santa Clara County is One of the 10 Best in California

In the link above, Santa Clara county #3 best place to live, San Francisco ranks #10.
Don't get me wrong, SJ is very safe because it is basically a suburb and that's what people mean by happy. Basically, you will be free from getting robbed but you can't do much stuff that is fun.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollsack View Post
Don't get me wrong, SJ is very safe because it is basically a suburb and that's what people mean by happy. Basically, you will be free from getting robbed but you can't do much stuff that is fun.
If you really think there is a direct correlation between "suburb" and "safety" and an inverse relationship between "safety" and "excitement," you're a child living in a movie.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
People move here for work, not mystery houses or monopoly boards.
Well, that's the people who moved here for work. I grew up here. The only other place I can see myself living in the USA is Seattle or maybe New York.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:27 PM

Here's another good list of San Jose attractions, from TripAdvisor. I hope this isn't considered a competitor web site.

Things to do in San Jose: Check out 81 San Jose Attractions - TripAdvisor

Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
As far as Colorado goes I have friends from HS who moved there and while they like it they do talk a lot about missing SJ.
I don't talk that way. I do enjoy visiting from time to time though, and have no bridge against the place. It's just not too ideal these days for people who aren't senior tech management (…etc) and/or inheriting a nice home in the hills or at least a decent valley neighborhood.
Quote:
Well, that's the people who moved here for work. I grew up here. The only other place I can see myself living in the USA is Seattle or maybe New York.
Fair enough. My comments were not aimed at you (or anyone else) personally. I think it's a given that we're talking about people who've moved there in a thread about how SJ is most expensive metro in USA. Because the sum total of locally born and raised SV'ites (which includes my own family) certainly did not make it that way.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:06 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
There are also a lot of incredibly wealthy people who do not *have* to live here they choose to live here. Tech settled here because people wanted to work here and do business here so that they could live here. It didn't settle in the middle of Arkansas for a reason.
Tech employers are here because this is where the skilled workforce is. And the skilled workforce is here because this is where the tech employers are located. But it all started out here because Shockley's sick mother was in Palo Alto, and Hewlett and Packard went to Stanford and stayed here after grad school.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,408 times
That site is saying that Anaheim Santa Ana is pricey and that's the hood more or less. Take this with a grain of salt.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM

The San Jose Blog: Record Condo Sale in Downtown San Jose

Property on 88 San Fernando in downtown San Jose, the high rise with a safeway on the bottom floor, sold for 2.2 million dollars last month. Two bedroom penthouse.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
Property on 88 San Fernando in downtown San Jose, the high rise with a safeway on the bottom floor, sold for 2.2 million dollars last month. Two bedroom penthouse.
Well that MUST be something great because why would any fool ever overpay for real estate in SJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose