Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 9,406 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am sure this thread is posted some more (over and over again) but looking for some advice on where to live in the Bay Area. My husband will be working in the Palo Alto area and we want to live within a 10 mile radius of PA. I have done a lot of research on the area and we have narrowed our search to Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood city.

Of these cities, is there one (or more) that tend to be on the cooler side with bay breezes? I am looking for a city on the warmer side. Originally from Seattle so I would like to stay away from the cool, foggy weather- not always be in a sweatshirt. Any thoughts? Here are some criteria we are looking at for a place to live so I would welcome suggestions::

• Childless couple, mid 40's with a small dog
  • Bike\walk\run friendly area
  • close to restaurants, grocery stores etc. Not necessarily within walking distance but within a mile or 2 by car
  • Looking to rent a townhome or house with a budget of 3,000-4,000 (ideally somewhere in the middle)
Any and all advice is welcome!

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,379,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollha34 View Post
Hi there, I am sure this thread is posted some more (over and over again) but looking for some advice on where to live in the Bay Area. My husband will be working in the Palo Alto area and we want to live within a 10 mile radius of PA. I have done a lot of research on the area and we have narrowed our search to Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood city.

Of these cities, is there one (or more) that tend to be on the cooler side with bay breezes? I am looking for a city on the warmer side. Originally from Seattle so I would like to stay away from the cool, foggy weather- not always be in a sweatshirt. Any thoughts? Here are some criteria we are looking at for a place to live so I would welcome suggestions::

• Childless couple, mid 40's with a small dog
  • Bike\walk\run friendly area
  • close to restaurants, grocery stores etc. Not necessarily within walking distance but within a mile or 2 by car
  • Looking to rent a townhome or house with a budget of 3,000-4,000 (ideally somewhere in the middle)
Any and all advice is welcome!

Thank You!
Redwood City has anecdotally claimed that their weather is the best in the nation, but really all of those places have fantastic weather. The are minimally foggy compared to San Francisco and other places further up the peninsula. Mountain View is southern enough to be off the peninsula so will probably be a little warmer on average than the others. It could be more subject to southerly winds off the bay, but as long as you're not right on the slough (which there ware very few homes in those areas anyway) it won't be an issue. Regardless of which place you choose, none of them will be anything like anywhere in or around Seattle. Another advantage to mountain view is that it has direct access to he Bay trail which will be great for running, etc... But really if you can afford it you can't go wrong with any of those places, which is why relatively few people can afford to live there. 3-4k a month budget will give you plenty of options, but it is still very much middle class for any of those places, and may even rule out a lot of pads in Palo Alto and Redwood City.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,443,528 times
One cannot avoid the on shore winds here. Although there are degrees of it. San Bruno is particularly affected, whereas, Los Gatos is less affected. Learn about the fog gaps and also, note where the winds flow along the Bay / Santa Clara Valley low points. But if you seek the sort of stillness one might associate with places back East during the summer, sorry, such a place does not exist here.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:03 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,204,401 times
If you are talking summer weather specifically, generally I have found closer to the bay is cooler than, say, Los Gatos or South San Jose.

Any of the cities you mention have great weather though. The fog in Silicon Valley usually burns off by around 10am, unlike further up the peninsula where it can last all day. The average high in the summer here in Mountain View is 78-80. So unless you run cold, you won't be wearing a sweatshirt. There are days where it hits the upper 90s, and days it stays in the 60s with strong onshore flow, but both are relatively few.

That said, in most of the Bay Area, a light jacket may be needed in the evening. To some extent though this is true across California, given the lack of humidity.

If you are wanting "hot" weather (say, 85+) you need to get more inland for it, and there's not really anywhere 10mi from Palo Alto that fits that bill.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM

4,332 posts, read 6,306,176 times
To get the really warm weather you're craving, you'll need to head a bit further south or east. Los Gatos could be a great fit for you, although the commute would be longer.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:00 PM

This whole conversation seems ridiculous. If you're craving someplace hot, muggy and nearly windless then yes go back east, as far south as you can... until you reach the equator if possible. If you're craving someplace blindingly sunny all the time then live in Fairbanks Alaska between late May and early September and Punta Arenas, Chile the rest of the time. But if you're craving someplace with nearly perfect (by most common standards) weather choose, Mountain View, Redwood City, or Palo Alto. Sure you might feel the wind in your hair at times, but it's a small price to pay (in addition to the actual price).

Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM

4,332 posts, read 6,306,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
This whole conversation seems ridiculous. If you're craving someplace hot, muggy and nearly windless then yes go back east, as far south as you can... until you reach the equator if possible. If you're craving someplace blindingly sunny all the time then live in Fairbanks Alaska between late May and early September and Punta Arenas, Chile the rest of the time. But if you're craving someplace with nearly perfect (by most common standards) weather choose, Mountain View, Redwood City, or Palo Alto. Sure you might feel the wind in your hair at times, but it's a small price to pay (in addition to the actual price).
Who said anything about the OP wanting hot, muggy weather? They were just looking for a little warmer weather than what the peninsula has to offer. When I lived in Mtn View, I often found it a bit cool to lay out by the pool at my condo complex. I personally think that if its dry and about 85-90, that's about perfect weather.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Who said anything about the OP wanting hot, muggy weather?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
if you seek the sort of stillness one might associate with places back East during the summer, sorry, such a place does not exist here.
But Hillbilly was just saying that IF that's what they want, then it's not in SV, which is correct. The OP just said that they want to avoid cool, foggy, breezy weather, which is what SF and the northernmost parts of the peninsula are stereotypically known for. But they also have a specific list of places they're considering, most of which are on the peninsula. Even just as far south as Redwood City, it's a whole different world but I agree that the further south and east they go the warmer it will be on average. The furthest southeast place on their list was Mountain View, which was my #1 suggestion. Why do people so often suggest things based on their personal prefs instead of reading what the Op asked?? If the question is "where should I live in the bay area?" my answer is always, "right next door to work", but that wasn't the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
They were just looking for a little warmer weather than what the peninsula has to offer.
No, re-read the OP. They've narrowed it down to Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Redwood City and Mountain View, at least three of which are ON the peninsula. Then she went on to ask, "OF THESE CITIES, is there one (or more) that tend to be on the cooler side with bay breezes?"

Last edited by otterprods; 01-27-2015 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,080,731 times
I used to live in Mountain View and in Eugene, Oregon so I know something about cloudy weather. Mountain View will seem like heaven by comparison, not too hot and not too cold. If you get too hot you can always go to the coast or up to San Francisco.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,592,620 times
I grew up in the east Bay Area, and moved to WA state for about 18 years right out of high school, including Seattle. There is no comparison, whatsoever, with Seattle weather and anywhere in the Bay Area. And any of the areas you are considering will be wonderful in comparison.

For it to get toasty, ever, you have to get away from the water - farther inland than any of the places on your list. But, really, from someone who has spent most of her life in both places (western WA and the SF Bay Area), you will be very happy in any of the towns on your list.

The Bay breezes (not constantly blowing, by the way) are lovely and welcome - never frigid and freezing. SF proper can feel quite cold and be very foggy, and maybe Pacifica. But none of the towns on your list will be like that.

FWIW, my name NoMoreSnowForMe, is based on my never wanting to move back to WA ever again....or anywhere else with snowy, freezing winters. The Bay Area has perfect weather IMO. Wait and see and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose