Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Here's the drought map as of Jan. 29. They should be posting an update soon, that should show improvement. But I wouldn't take anything for granted in CA. The current rain/snow may get us a temporary respite. All we can do, is watch how the future unfolds.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/...ent_ca_trd.pdf

I find it odd that Del Norte and Siskiyou counties are at the same level of drought on the map as LA & San Diego, etc. It must be relative to local "normal" conditions, up north, meaning, it's just "less rainy", vs. dry?? North Humboldt is also rated "moderate drought". I don't think "moderate drought" on the far north coast means the same thing as "moderate drought" in the SoCal coastal counties. I wonder if our North Coast residents could provide their residents'-eye view on this.
Yes, that is certainly the case. It is relative to normal.

As a rule of thumb, precipitation in California increases as you go I don't know, father West, and higher up. It decreases as you go either south, east, or father down in elevation. For that reason, the highest mountains in the Northwestern corner of the state are the wettest, where has the most points in the Southeastern corner of the state are the driest. And then we have a patchwork of microclimates in between, because of our varied topography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Always need a few science naysayers and conspiracy theorists to keep it interesting, and look at that, we reeled one in.

I don't get to call it anything, by the way. I'm certainly not the one that coined the four types of drought. It sounds like you're only interested in meterological drought. I don't mean to ask a question rhetorically, because of course I hate that, but why on earth (literally) would have you have the idea that drought wasn't impacted by consumption? Socioeconomic drought will only become a larger issue as humans continue to populate. Afterall, if you're willing to recognize hydrological drought, and you did above, you're admitting that its affects only matter if the supply isn't adequately meeting demand. I could go on but I'm going to gather that you understand why it matters, but hopefully, you'll also have a better understanding of what drought is. How much rain or snowfall we achieve in a season or three is only one indicator of the phenomenon.
I think the two of you appear to be arguing semantics and definitions, not ideology. Whether you call long term supply-and-demand changes let challenges "drought" is not really the issue. Personally, that doesn't seem like the right terminology. But we all have to recognize the issue. We all have to plan ahead future and ensure enough water supply for the intended uses, which will likely require a per capita production of consumption as well as impossible agricultural shift from water intensive crops to less water intensive crops. Water recycling will also become a huge part of our future. We have to plan now so we aren't caught with our pants down at some point.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Absolutely. The drought was pretty bad. It was going on when I lived in the Bay area.
Green hills in Ca is short lived, but oh so beautiful when it's happening.
True. I remember in Walnut Creek, they would usually turn brown around the first week of May. Then, farther west, in Marin, they might linger a few extra weeks. Down here in San Diego, they usually start turning in April, although about 3,000 feet in the backcountry, it lasts a bit longer. Loving the regeneration of nature!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I could handle that. Can we please book it for March?

I loved the storms in Nashville, TN. Lots of great thunder and lightening. I just want them to come and entertain me for a day or two, then go away for awhile. Is that too much to ask?
Nope

Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Yes, that is certainly the case. It is relative to normal.

As a rule of thumb, precipitation in California increases as you go I don't know, father West, and higher up. It decreases as you go either south, east, or father down in elevation. For that reason, the highest mountains in the Northwestern corner of the state are the wettest, where has the most points in the Southeastern corner of the state are the driest. And then we have a patchwork of microclimates in between, because of our varied topography.
Thank you. This makes perfect sense.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
I mostly love the rain, but two things about it get annoying...

1. Driving, but not because I can't handle it. I've lived in Oregon and other places with lots of rain/snow, so I'm perfectly capable of driving in almost any conditions - it's the OTHER drivers who can't manage! They're either going suuuper slow or way too fast, and don't seem to understand how (much more) dangerous it is to tailgate in wet conditions. And now that I have to commute on 17, it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll be slowed down by accidents every time it rains. Oh, and note to those with 4WD/AWD vehicles: Having 4WD/AWD doesn't make you invincible on slick roads; you can still lose control taking a 40mph curve at 60+mph.

2. Walking my dog in heavy (especially cold) rain. Unfortunately I have a dog who does NOT care about rain, cold, wind, etc; I've literally taken him out in full-on storms just so he'll stop whining at me. And it's not about going potty, since he could do that on his own using the dog door. Nope, has to be a real 30+ minute walk! He's 13 years old too, and barely showing signs of slowing down - which is otherwise a good thing, but in lousy weather I sometimes wish he'd act his age. LOL

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-07-2019 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
It rain here too in SoCal. Our local mountain has snow, no not a Big Bear. Today is the first day with real sunshine.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:49 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
It's like Ca and Ga are running opposites. A week ago pictures were posted of nice weather in Ca. We were in the mid 30's here but dry.
Now you guys have snow and rain and we have high 70's beautiful days.
Last year the normally rough humid summer here was milder and So Cal had that long period of heat and humidity.
The weather is going crazy.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
When I first moved here to Georgia, those storms kind of freaked me out. But now I rather enjoy them.
When I lived in TN, I loved watching how the fireflies would all of a sudden all move up into the trees right before the thunder would come. I'm guessing they could sense a change in barometric pressure or something. But, it was so fun to sit on our covered porch in the summer and watch the fireflies and the storms. They'd be so loud and the lightening so bright, that you couldn't sleep anyway. So, we'd take a drink out onto the porch and just watch the storm.

I do miss fireflies.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I mostly love the rain, but two things about it get annoying...

1. Driving, but not because I can't handle it. I've lived in Oregon and other places with lots of rain/snow, so I'm perfectly capable of driving in almost any conditions - it's the OTHER drivers who can't manage! They're either going suuuper slow or way too fast, and don't seem to understand how (much more) dangerous it is to tailgate in wet conditions. And now that I have to commute on 17, it's pretty much a guarantee that I'll be slowed down by accidents every time it rains. Oh, and note to those with 4WD/AWD vehicles: Having 4WD/AWD doesn't make you invincible on slick roads; you can still lose control taking a 40mph curve at 60+mph.

2. Walking my dog in heavy (especially cold) rain. Unfortunately I have a dog who does NOT care about rain, cold, wind, etc; I've literally taken him out in full-on storms just so he'll stop whining at me. And it's not about going potty, since he could do that on his own using the dog door. Nope, has to be a real 30+ minute walk! He's 13 years old too, and barely showing signs of slowing down - which is otherwise a good thing, but in lousy weather I sometimes wish he'd act his age. LOL
OMG, you're doing the 17 commute. Yikes. I hope that means that you are living on the coast, so you get to go home and watch the sunset at the beach. My daughter did that commute for several years and she said it made it worth it to go home, grab a couple beers and watch the sunset at the beach with her boyfriend.

Funny you mention walking the dog in the rain. I finally did that today. My 11 year old dog was going stir crazy from less exercise, too, so today we walked to the local Dollar Tree in the rain. They're dog friendly, so I knew they wouldn't mind me bringing her in to shop with me.

I lived in lots of PNW rain for nearly 20 years, so I figured we'll just dress for it and think, "heck, it's just water." Put a sweater on the dog so she wouldn't get as wet. She didn't mind at all, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose