Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,759 times

Advertisements

I lived in San Jose CA from 2007-2012. I am female and was 25-29 at that time. It was one of the worst places I have ever lived. I have never experienced such blatant sexism for simply existing as a confident, intelligent, attractive female in my life. I had multiple encounters with men staring at me like I was nothing but an object, literally the most arrogant “beef heads” I have ever met. The women here are just as bad and I experienced sexism from them as well for being more attractive than them. They assumed I was stupid and couldn’t handle it when I proved them wrong. They internalize all the sexism in this place due to growing up there and some are just as bad as the men. I was an outsider looking in. I was very happy to graduate from SJSU and move to a place where I can be who I am without getting messed with. Not to mention the multiple bad attitudes I received from minority women who felt they had to compete with me because I’m white. The most boring place on earth. ALL there is to do is drink at bars. Not to mention the police here are corrupt and sexist af. Any time I wanted to go to SF where there is more to do these SJ people just wanted to stay in town. This place sucks beyond belief and my life has progressed 1000% since I got out of there. It’s like almost every man I met in my jobs there wanted to hold me down. They were flat out threatened by me that I didn’t “play the part” that so many young women there are conditioned to play. I saw right through it from the get go.

Last edited by LCDNorCal; 06-17-2023 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe stixpuck View Post
San Jose has the Bay Area's largest sausage market. If a gal can't find a decent guy easily out there I'd wonder what might be wrong with her.

If there was another part of the Bay Area with such a skewed ratio of men/women, but in favor of males' prospects, I woulda been like the proverbial 'kid in a candy store.' In fact, if anyone here knows of ANY area with such a disproportionate population of women/men as SJ has of the reverse, let me know so my buds and I can plan our next fishing trip.
Such an abundance of men there and so few that actually know how to treat a women right. That’s why I chose to remain single the 4 years I lived there. Couldn’t meet a decent guy who didn’t treat me like a conquest. The few decent ones were too techy and boring. And there’s nothing wrong with me. But sadly you have that same arrogant attitude that many SJ guys have, that there must be something wrong with the women. The bottom line is there is something wrong with a lot of men that grow up or congregate here in their views of women and the way they treat women. I have options, theirs are limited. You think they would change their behavior.

Last edited by LCDNorCal; 06-17-2023 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-17-2023, 07:55 AM

7,763 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDNorCal View Post
I lived in San Jose CA from 2007-2012. I am female and was 25-29 at that time. It was one of the worst places I have ever lived. I have never experienced such blatant sexism for simply existing as a confident, intelligent, attractive female in my life. I had multiple encounters with men staring at me like I was nothing but an object, literally the most arrogant “beef heads” I have ever met.
I don't understand; you say that as if it were a bad thing.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:55 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
I lived in San Jose CA from 2007-2012. I am female and was 25-29 at that time. It was one of the worst places I have ever lived. I have never experienced such blatant sexism for simply existing as a confident, intelligent, attractive female in my life. I had multiple encounters with men staring at me like I was nothing but an object, literally the most arrogant “beef heads” I have ever met. The women here are just as bad and I experienced sexism from them as well for being more attractive than them. They assumed I was stupid and couldn’t handle it when I proved them wrong. They internalize all the sexism in this place due to growing up there and some are just as bad as the men. I was an outsider looking in. I was very happy to graduate from SJSU and move to a place where I can be who I am without getting messed with. Not to mention the multiple bad attitudes I received from minority women who felt they had to compete with me because I’m white. The most boring place on earth. ALL there is to do is drink at bars. Not to mention the police here are corrupt and sexist af. Any time I wanted to go to SF where there is more to do these SJ people just wanted to stay in town. This place sucks beyond belief and my life has progressed 1000% since I got out of there. It’s like almost every man I met in my jobs there wanted to hold me down. They were flat out threatened by me that I didn’t “play the part” that so many young women there are conditioned to play. I saw right through it from the get go.
Welcome to the site.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:50 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Quote:

What is it that you like to do now that you couldn't do in San Jose?

Old 06-18-2023, 11:12 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Such an abundance of men there and so few that actually know how to treat a women right. [...] You think they would change their behavior.
That describes Seattle, as well. And it's not even about "how to treat a woman right", but about very basic things, like having a conversation with women without inadvertently insulting them. Being socially clueless, clueless as to the implications of the things they blurt out.

Yes, you'd think they'd change their behavior, but in order to do that, they'd have to understand what they're doing wrong. I can't help wondering where their male role models were, when they were growing up. Apparently many parents don't talk to their sons about socializing with women.

Quote:
What is it that you like to do now that you couldn't do in San Jose?
The OP gives us a clue, when she said she used to go to SF for things to do. Think of everything SF has to offer. Go on, try; you can think of a few things, I'm sure. The city has many interesting attractions. So do Berkeley and Oakland, but SF--even more so.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
Maybe just cultural differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose