Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 38,352 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I've been living in the Philadelphia area for the past 4 years and about a year ago I've decided that We need a fresh start! I am a single-father to a 5-year old boy so naturally providing him with a good life is first and foremost. I'm pretty open-minded and determined so California has been a interest despite a lot of the nay-sayers opinions on the cost of living. I'm 28, former military, and currently working in the Defense industry. San Diego was my initial choice based on the nice things I've heard and I felt that I would be competitive working for big defense companies such a SAIC, Northrop Grumman, etc. However several months ago I interviewed with another contractor in Santa Clara with an offer making double my current salary (110K), which i'm sure I'll need. I turned it down and decided to finish my MBA, which I have and now I would really like to revist these options between these 2 areas. My son and I have always lived a modest lifestyle and intend keep it that way but I'm curious to know if 110K will be sufficient and would it be in my best interest to seek private school? Although I don't have any prospects just yet in the San Diego area, I'm willing to be patient and wait if this city is the better out of the two. From what I've researched both areas seem great, but I'm kinda looking for some information that can help me make this tough decesion. I've lived several places except for the west coast and feel good about adapting and adjusting. The hard part is how do you decided when you hear a lot of good things about both areas??? I understand there's a slight difference in weather but that doesn't matter as the California weather appears to be much brighter, and I dont think I'll miss the snow! Based on feedback I'll be looking to visit one of these areas in mid November so all feedback will be greatly appreciated. If I can provide more info just let me know - and Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Do you have other family to help take care of your boy? Raising kids without family support is difficult and that would be my primary concern. 110K, while a good salary anywhere won't make you rich in CA by any stretch of the imagination, although buying a modest place in Santa Clara wouldn't be out of the question.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Snort thanks for the response...unfortunately I won't have the family support readily available but then again I dont have that now either, so we're accustomed to that aspect of it. As far as salary is concerned, I figured I wouldn't be rich by any means and really see myself as renting a 2-bedroom while I tackle these infamous Student Loans!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM

65 posts, read 184,003 times
it depends on what you are looking for and enjoy. You would have it better in San Diego with 110k more so than in Santa Clara. I am currently living in San Diego but moving very soon back up north. I'm looking at the same area around the Santa Clara area only because I enjoy the warmer weather compare to SF which was where I pretty much grew up. SF is a fun place but can't stand the cold weather anymore. San Diego is a very relaxed place to live but lacks what I enjoy doing and the job market is next to nothing compare to other cities even compare to LA.
If you have the chance, see if you can spend a wk in both areas and see which location suits you the best. You shouldn't have any issues finding a good school for your kid.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04 View Post
it depends on what you are looking for and enjoy. You would have it better in San Diego with 110k more so than in Santa Clara. I am currently living in San Diego but moving very soon back up north. I'm looking at the same area around the Santa Clara area only because I enjoy the warmer weather compare to SF which was where I pretty much grew up. SF is a fun place but can't stand the cold weather anymore. San Diego is a very relaxed place to live but lacks what I enjoy doing and the job market is next to nothing compare to other cities even compare to LA.
If you have the chance, see if you can spend a wk in both areas and see which location suits you the best. You shouldn't have any issues finding a good school for your kid.

Thanks blueo4...I'm not a picky person and I've always had the approach that "life" (while not perfect) is what you make it. Santa Clara came into play based on an offer, so naturally it peaked my interest and I'm quite sure SD won't pay as much considering many say that it is slightly cheaper than the south bay area. I do anticipate visiting and I feel pretty confident about Cali period I think job opportunity will be the big driver, I just didnt want to jump on the first thing smoking w/o getting some good opinions.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
IMO, Santa Clara would be a no-brainer choice vs SD...

Far more (and poss more lucrative) career opportunities in SiliconValley (for one's next career move)....many smart, ambitious, young guys come out of Stanford and Berkeley every yr; the smartest rarely ever leave SV...many major tech cos. and many future valuable start-up cos. will always be based in the RedwoodShores-SanJose corridor....

Far better intellectual/cultural climate to raise kids....many well-educated and education-oriented parents...would rent something modest in PaloAlto...excellent public schools...many similarly cash-constrained Stanford grad students and young faculty members live in PA rentals....but heavy emphasis on educational achievement....

Old 10-22-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
IMO, Santa Clara would be a no-brainer choice vs SD...

Far more (and poss more lucrative) career opportunities in SiliconValley (for one's next career move)....many smart, ambitious, young guys come out of Stanford and Berkeley every yr; the smartest rarely ever leave SV...many major tech cos. and many future valuable start-up cos. will always be based in the RedwoodShores-SanJose corridor....

Far better intellectual/cultural climate to raise kids....many well-educated and education-oriented parents...would rent something modest in PaloAlto...excellent public schools...many similarly cash-constrained Stanford grad students and young faculty members live in PA rentals....but heavy emphasis on educational achievement....

What is the commute like from PA? Good communities that embrace young professionals & families is the goal - I checked on Google and it said PA is a 30 min trip to Santa Clara with traffic; is this accurate?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 AM

65 posts, read 184,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdickens View Post
What is the commute like from PA? Good communities that embrace young professionals & families is the goal - I checked on Google and it said PA is a 30 min trip to Santa Clara with traffic; is this accurate?
No not really because you can take the street road or the freeway to and from PA to Santa Clara. 30min would be the max. time

Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
In reality, 110k in Silicon Valley is comparable to about 80k in Philly and the surrounding suburbs.

Nonetheless, this seems like a good move for you.

Be careful though, for families, this is a tough area to relocate to....

Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM

123 posts, read 345,353 times
Check out CNN Money cost of living calculator. Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com
It says you would need to make $155-156 in San Fran, $138-139 in San Jose, and about $125 in San Deigo. A lot depends on what type of housing you want, nice single modest single family homes are a lot more expensive then back east. Town homes & Condo's are what most homes back east cost. I would check out the cost of schooling if you are set on private it really depends on what type of school. Also, you might want to check out the cost or good after school and summer programs or Nanny's (there are referral companies for that out here.) As you may end up stuck with a long drive or in traffic, strange work hours and good child care after before 7-8am & 5-6pm will cost you a lot!!
There are also a lot of Northrup/ Boeing/ Rathyeon and such in the Long Beach/ LA and area and in between. Many nice areas for families around here too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose