Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We want to avoid neighborhoods known as high crime areas. We want to be around other middle class people, not welfare recipients and illegal aliens. We want to be around people who speak English.
Why do you care if someone is on Welfare or getting Food Stamps unless they leave garbage on the lawn or make a lot of noise? I have no idea if my neighbors are getting government assistance. Most of my neighbors are retired, but a lot of people who once lived in beautiful homes lost their jobs and used up all their savings and need help to feed their families. Others became ill and experienced a personal tragedy. That doesn't make them 2nd class citizens. "There but for the grace of God...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
None of my research has pointed out any affordable low-crime areas or what we're looking for. No deed restrictions, illegal aliens etc.
Strange that you put deed restrictions and illegal immigrants on the same list. They're human beings. Of course I don't support breaking the law, but you assume there aren't people here illegally who live in nice houses and act just like the rest of us. How would a real estate agent know if your neighbors are here legally or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 AM

18 posts, read 35,542 times
Hi, JustNancy, I live with an illegal alien man of Mexican descent, can you tell me the best neighborhood where we can live with neighbors of his status and culture. He would, most definitely be uncomfortable in a gated and or deed restricted community, due to his work implements. We would prefer a primarily Spanish speaking immediate environment, yet close to other city amenities, of an American or International nature.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
If we go too off-topic it would be rude and not addressing the original question. I'd recommend somewhere in Southern California, however.

Seriously, I never said people should come to Florida and break the law, only that I'm not interested in my neighbors' personal business and nobody can ask a real estate agent if his or her neighbors are here legally or not. It's code for "Mexican."

Old 09-09-2010, 04:37 PM

175 posts, read 438,303 times
Sarasota is really the only place that fits your requirements so you may want to spend most of your time in that area and spend only one day in venice and fort myers so you can see for your self.
Best wishes

Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,363 times
Default Sarasota, absolutely!

My DH and I originally planned on buying into Village Walk in Bonita Springs or another gated community in or near Ft Myers. We were down there March'09 with serious plans to buy. As we looked around, it felt very soul-less. You basically had your development and drove along pretty empty roads until you got to the next development. Very little to do unless you wanted shopping or the Mann Center for Performing Arts. There was Sanibel or Captiva which are gorgeous but it looked like we would get tired of the area quickly. We decided to check Sarasota since there was another Village Walk in Palmer Ranch. We had an immediate feeling that Sarasota was much more what we wanted. We ended up near University at The Meadows after investigating Palmer Ranch,The Landings,Longwood Run,Palm Aire and University Park (We needed serious tennis). When you hear about high crime near University perhaps near 41 but definitely not near I-75. You really need to scope it out for yourself.I view Sarasota like an onion, there are so many layers of varied activities, neighborhoods. restaurants, culture.The more I research , the more there is to do. BTW, I'm a relatively young retiree and read this site daily.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 PM

320 posts, read 487,218 times
Thank you for all the info!! Seems like Sarasota is the number one suggestion. Can't wait to get down there and check it out!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If we go too off-topic it would be rude and not addressing the original question. I'd recommend somewhere in Southern California, however.

Seriously, I never said people should come to Florida and break the law, only that I'm not interested in my neighbors' personal business and nobody can ask a real estate agent if his or her neighbors are here legally or not. It's code for "Mexican."

Uh, I didn't think about other areas / states, I thought she was thinking locally. But, if that is the case, then I would recommend Northern Virginia. There are areas (prominent and nice, as well as nice areas to rent) safe, good schools, low crime, good opportunities to gain work, and it has a huge multi-cultural population. DC is truly a very international city. There is a huge population of hispanics / mexicans / south americans, and they work in every sector. - That said, I think that INS is everywhere, not just in NVA, so I'm sure he has to be careful.

I question the logic of advertising that on a public website. I'm sure that big brother has plenty to do without searching these sites for someone to make such a comment, but I'd recommend being careful about making a statement on a website that has thousands and thousands of viewers.

Of course, I would never offer any advice to do anything illegal! But, I would question the logic of making it a topic.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
My DH and I originally planned on buying into Village Walk in Bonita Springs or another gated community in or near Ft Myers. We were down there March'09 with serious plans to buy. As we looked around, it felt very soul-less. You basically had your development and drove along pretty empty roads until you got to the next development. Very little to do unless you wanted shopping or the Mann Center for Performing Arts. There was Sanibel or Captiva which are gorgeous but it looked like we would get tired of the area quickly. We decided to check Sarasota since there was another Village Walk in Palmer Ranch. We had an immediate feeling that Sarasota was much more what we wanted. We ended up near University at The Meadows after investigating Palmer Ranch,The Landings,Longwood Run,Palm Aire and University Park (We needed serious tennis). When you hear about high crime near University perhaps near 41 but definitely not near I-75. You really need to scope it out for yourself.I view Sarasota like an onion, there are so many layers of varied activities, neighborhoods. restaurants, culture.The more I research , the more there is to do. BTW, I'm a relatively young retiree and read this site daily.
I think you have a pretty good accessment. The Sarasota area is much more alive and well, than Ft. Myers and Lee County. Both are nice, but Sarasota County has made great strides to overcome the economic down turn and foreclosure crisis that has hurt so many areas around the country. It still has a long way to go, but if you have a couple years of perspective you can see steady improvement.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM

739 posts, read 1,849,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why do you care if someone is on Welfare or getting Food Stamps unless they leave garbage on the lawn or make a lot of noise? I have no idea if my neighbors are getting government assistance. Most of my neighbors are retired, but a lot of people who once lived in beautiful homes lost their jobs and used up all their savings and need help to feed their families. Others became ill and experienced a personal tragedy. That doesn't make them 2nd class citizens. "There but for the grace of God...."

Strange that you put deed restrictions and illegal immigrants on the same list. They're human beings. Of course I don't support breaking the law, but you assume there aren't people here illegally who live in nice houses and act just like the rest of us. How would a real estate agent know if your neighbors are here legally or not?
Nancy, that is very noble of you but the poster has some legitimate concerns. My daughter lives in a lovely, new neighborhood in Tucson. The houses are about 2,000 square feet but not glamorous. Their neighbors are the stereotypical Mexicans from Hell. Sorry but that's the truth. They are renters and eleven adults live in the one house. There are usually eight cars parked around the driveway/neighborhood. They throw trash (yes, TRASH) in her yard. Their front yard is full of weeds and more trash. They moved in after my daughter and her boyfriend bought the house or they'd never have purchased. It's a shame.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Nancy, that is very noble of you but the poster has some legitimate concerns. My daughter lives in a lovely, new neighborhood in Tucson. The houses are about 2,000 square feet but not glamorous. Their neighbors are the stereotypical Mexicans from Hell. Sorry but that's the truth. They are renters and eleven adults live in the one house. There are usually eight cars parked around the driveway/neighborhood. They throw trash (yes, TRASH) in her yard. Their front yard is full of weeds and more trash. They moved in after my daughter and her boyfriend bought the house or they'd never have purchased. It's a shame.
If they have that many adults living in the same house, and they are not all related, then in most jurisidictions it is a code violation. If they are throwing trash and not maintaining their lawns - in most cases that is a code violation as well. Authorities do not like having to continually respond to these kinds of calls, and usually after the first time or two they will do something about it - if it is real. That said - People should respect each others privacy and rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area