Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM

153 posts, read 444,728 times

Advertisements

If I move to Sarasota or Venice, where can I jog on a non-paved surface -- either a school running track or a park running trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,060 times
Here's a link to the Sarasota County parks system... a great map to illustrate the abundance of locations! Many of them have dirt trails. I imagine if you google ones that peak your interest you'll find more detailed information.

Another hidden gem is Myakka State Forest, off of River Road heading into Englewood. It ONLY has dirt trails, and plenty of them. Beautiful scrub pine forest. TAKE WATER. There are no facilities and you will be in full sun for 98% of your run.

Also, don't forget to check out the area's state parks. Oscar Scherer would fit the bill, certainly.

And, of course... there's the beaches!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Comments on reply

Very nice post, "AnotherDayInParadise" -- there certainly is a large selection of parks to look at!

Should I also assume that most of the area high schools have decent cinder or resilient surface 400 meter or 440 yard running tracks?

Beaches are more questionable for serious jogging. The sand tends to be either too soft or too hard-packed. Also, running long distances on a sloped surface tends to produce muscle injuries.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,905 times
Sarasota Middle School has a track.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,060 times
I'm sorry... I don't have kids and am not familiar with the individual schools and their facilities. I have been to the NPHS (I live in North Port) football stadium, and there is a track. What it's made out of and how long it is... couldn't tell you. But hopefully someone will chime in on this thread who has kids run track or play ball at one the many schools in Sarasota County.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Sarasota Middle School has a track.
Right you are. I just looked at the Google satellite picture; it shows up clear as day.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
Very nice post, "AnotherDayInParadise" -- there certainly is a large selection of parks to look at!

Should I also assume that most of the area high schools have decent cinder or resilient surface 400 meter or 440 yard running tracks?

Beaches are more questionable for serious jogging. The sand tends to be either too soft or too hard-packed. Also, running long distances on a sloped surface tends to produce muscle injuries.
Do the schools usually allow people to run on their tracks?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I don't know about FL -- in TX my local isd has tracks at both high schools and some of the middle schools that are open even in evenings--but they don't run the lights like they used to for people to walk at night...the track at the football field is not left unlocked however--too much opportunity for vandalism/damage if it were open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area