Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:05 AM

65 posts, read 143,274 times

Advertisements

I wasn't really sure how to word the title of this post.
My question is-
Do you think the personalities of the posters in these forums reflects the personalities of the area?

The reason I'm asking..My family doesn't want to live in Pennsylvania anymore. We know for sure that we want to relocate to a warmer state. We have 3 areas in mind.

I've been checking out the other forums and some of the posters just seem so mean and unwelcoming. I haven't posted a lot on this board, but it seems like everyone is more than willing to give info, help with this or that, just generally friendly.

Anyway, just something I noticed and I was curious if anyone else thought the same thing. If the people representing an area aren't kind to newcomers, I don't want to move there! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynesWife View Post
My question is-
Do you think the personalities of the posters in these forums reflects the personalities of the area?

The reason I'm asking..My family doesn't want to live in Pennsylvania anymore. We know for sure that we want to relocate to a warmer state. We have 3 areas in mind.

I've been checking out the other forums and some of the posters just seem so mean and unwelcoming. I haven't posted a lot on this board, but it seems like everyone is more than willing to give info, help with this or that, just generally friendly.

Anyway, just something I noticed and I was curious if anyone else thought the same thing. If the people representing an area aren't kind to newcomers, I don't want to move there! TIA
You can't assume that everyone that posts here lives in Sarasota. I live in OH for most of the year. That being said I do think the people on this forum are very helpful. I also think the people who live in the area are very open to new people. When we bought our condo I can't tell you how many local people thanked me for investing in the area.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynesWife View Post
My question is-

You find that a lot on message boards - a lot of unhappy people just like to vent.

That said, the Sarasota forum seems to be one of the friendliest, at least in the Florida section. My theory for that is that this is a great place to live and most of us are extremely happy here!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
I think it's fairly obvious that the general demeanor of the people on such a board would generally reflect the population of the market the board serves.

I have definitely found this to be true.

I mean, I don't think anyone could credibly argue that the average person you meet in this area is not considerably friendlier than elsewhere.

Especially off-season, you will find some of the most laid-back people in this country, at least for city living.

I HAVE noticed, though, that during the snowbird season, some of the less attractive elements of the northern character seep in, most notably in the supermarket, in restaurants, and on the roads.

But it's still better than anywhere else I have been, and snowbirds are part of what make Sarasota Sarasota, so cultivating a sort of eye-rolly "Ugh snowbirds" mentality isn't of any use to anyone.

It just is what it is, and what it is is OK by me.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM

37 posts, read 68,008 times
Default Smoke and mirrors

If you look back at older threads in the Sarasota area forum (as I have) you will find that many of the members in this forum like to gang up on posters that are seen as portraying the area in a way that's too negative. The absance of "negitive" posters here is a glaring giveaway or "tell" to anyone familiar with forums in general. Maybe you sensed this when you asked your question.

IMO, what you are reading on here (for the most part) is just a chamber of commerce type of sales pitch by the older members here, who are desperately trying to stabilize their declining property values by attracting new buyers to the area.

I'm not referring to the new residents, of course, who are all excited and just having fun exploring their new home and sharing advice with each other.

I disagree totally with Rushmore's statement:
"I think it's fairly obvious that the general demeanor of the people on such a board would generally reflect the population of the market the board serves."

Assuming that the members here represent a crossection of the general population here would be a very foolish mistake.

Just my opinion of course.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
I used to be active on both the Sarasota and Cape Coral/Ft Myers forum, but the CC one was excrutiatingly negative! Many of the regular posters were trying to either find work and didn't want job competition from others looking to move down there, or they hated it where they were. Either way, they were always nasty to people that were simply looking for information.
I now only go on the Sarasota forum. There are a few "negative nellies" here as well, but nothing like the CC forum. People here are VERY helpful, and from what I've seen, pretty honest. Relating this to actual towns, Ft Myers and the Cape both seem very depressed, which kind of shows in the forum. Sarasota is a mixed bag. The Sarasota forum covers a vast geographical area with mixed personalities and personal happiness levels.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Oh, I don't know if it is representative or not. I've found some people here are welcoming and some (well one or two) were accusing, suspicious, almost protective of their "forum turf" to the point that they were over the top about it. I'm here because I'm a real estate agent and I like to offer advice to people who need it or ask for it. Although I didn't choose to be a teacher, I have an education degree so maybe it's just in me to do things that way. :-) The darker types here would probably accuse me of trolling for business but that's not really my goal. I just like helping others and these forums work for me as a way of doing that. Anyway, I think you'll find that most people who live here are generally nice and willing to help a friend, neighbor or stranger. There will always be some who aren't that way but that's true everywhere and, who knows, maybe they have a good reason for being that way, too.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
I've only lived here a few months and i will probably come off as a crazy new yorker forever. I walk too fast, i talk too fast, i'm a wise-ass, i wear too much black, i am retraining myself to make eye contact with people and smile and say "good morning" when i am walking my dog but everyone I've met here has been super welcoming and friendly even though i am obviously new to the area.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
If you look back at older threads in the Sarasota area forum (as I have) you will find that many of the members in this forum like to gang up on posters that are seen as portraying the area in a way that's too negative. The absance of "negitive" posters here is a glaring giveaway or "tell" to anyone familiar with forums in general. Maybe you sensed this when you asked your question.

IMO, what you are reading on here (for the most part) is just a chamber of commerce type of sales pitch by the older members here, who are desperately trying to stabilize their declining property values by attracting new buyers to the area.

I'm not referring to the new residents, of course, who are all excited and just having fun exploring their new home and sharing advice with each other.

I disagree totally with Rushmore's statement:
"I think it's fairly obvious that the general demeanor of the people on such a board would generally reflect the population of the market the board serves."

Assuming that the members here represent a crossection of the general population here would be a very foolish mistake.

Just my opinion of course.
I have lived almost eight years in Florida (my previous stint being Tampa/St. Pete), and I have lived in virtually every other part of the country as well (northeast, middle northeast, mid-west, west coast), and I will say again, with no mercenary business motivation (I have no businesses in Florida), that this is the friendliest and most welcoming area in which I have lived.

If you really believe that the general positivity exhibited on this forum is the product of a cabal of real estate professionals, all twisting their mustaches and manipulating us poor dumb folk, then I suspect that one of us is delusional.

It might be me, but I doubt it.

And if it is me, well, that's OK too. I like it here.

You ought to try the forum for the last city I lived in, Baltimore. Great times there, if you happen to be a sociopath.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,446 times
Default Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
I've only lived here a few months and i will probably come off as a crazy new yorker forever. I walk too fast, i talk too fast, i'm a wise-ass, i wear too much black, i am retraining myself to make eye contact with people and smile and say "good morning" when i am walking my dog but everyone I've met here has been super welcoming and friendly even though i am obviously new to the area.
Oh, jnanner, you crack me up! I LOVE that you think you'll come off as a crazy New Yorker forever! I wonder if I will be looked at that way also! Do you know that the last time I was down for a visit one of my cousins mentioned that she was surprised that I could stand wearing black slacks? Hahaha! Everyone IS super friendly, though, aren't they? I love the whole area where we're going to move eventually! My daughter, who already lives there, says that she'd NEVER move back to New York! My poor grandson, (20), who can't seem to find a job, though, thinks he might HAVE to move back to get some work, even though he likes it down there very much. Anyway.....keep up your sense of humor, jnanner......we love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area