Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,916,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
Exactly. I've seen the posts you're referring to. Some parties here seem to be using the forum as a place of business and you were seen as someone muscling in on “their” territory, so a thug was sent out to intimidate you into moving on. LOL

You not the first Realtor to receive such a “greeting” here. The difference, is that you held your ground and weren’t scared off by the tactic.
Seems as though everyone else likes to talk and gossip about my relationships or lack there of. Funny thing is while everyone is slinging mud at each other Bob and I are getting along fine, as far as I know. Also there used to be another Realtor who posted frequently flbob. I got along with him fine and I think he and Bighouse even went fishing at one point. You can't expect everyone to get along with everyone. I do find it interesting though that almost everytime there's any kind of conflict on here its one of the guys. There's the handful of drama kings who never show up and post unless there is some strife going. Gotta love these winners. Its probably pretty easy to figure out who theses posters are.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 11-16-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 5,826 times
bbronston.. thanks for your reply about Riviera Dunes... we are only going to be renting there.. we had to close both our stores and short sale our house in GVille so we can't buy anything for 2 yrs anyway... but I grew up on the water.. and living on the water is my number one priority... and you are right from what I read the prices did come down in that area, so they were snapped up for an investment.. and some are being rented out.. I am not sure we would buy a condo there..it is only a mile away from where my husband will be working though (he is training now in Sarasota) .....so it is the perfect location for us now.. .. and if and when the time comes for us to buy again I know that Sarasota would be at the top of our list.. but I just wanted to make the comment that although Palmetto does look rundown in areas... there are a few really pretty areas there as well!!! I guess I also wanted to know if anyone ever heard of crime in the Riviera Dunes area.. ???

Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM

65 posts, read 143,309 times
Thank you all for the replies!
I don't even know where to start. There were so many of them.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshore1957 View Post
bbronston.. thanks for your reply about Riviera Dunes... we are only going to be renting there.. we had to close both our stores and short sale our house in GVille so we can't buy anything for 2 yrs anyway... but I grew up on the water.. and living on the water is my number one priority... and you are right from what I read the prices did come down in that area, so they were snapped up for an investment.. and some are being rented out.. I am not sure we would buy a condo there..it is only a mile away from where my husband will be working though (he is training now in Sarasota) .....so it is the perfect location for us now.. .. and if and when the time comes for us to buy again I know that Sarasota would be at the top of our list.. but I just wanted to make the comment that although Palmetto does look rundown in areas... there are a few really pretty areas there as well!!! I guess I also wanted to know if anyone ever heard of crime in the Riviera Dunes area.. ???
cshore1957: I came across this thread while doing a search. It may provide you with some info in that area.

Best,

http://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...-palmetto.html

Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
funny how some people seem to join up just to stir up trouble, from their posts it seems they have been (and gone) here before .

same tactics .come in- throw in some provocative posts then disappear.......

for what its worth Bob B you seem to be posting some very good helpful stuff and I hope you feel welcome here

and for the OP questioning about personalities - i dont have one so i get along fine :-)

PS youse guys are gonna have to start digging the Brit sense of humour (or humor) when we arrive

Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,148,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
. There's the handful of drama kings .
shouldnt that be drama queens or is that homophobic ??

Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
I apologize to the OP that we've gone slightly astray in this thread but, just to keep the record straight, I have no problem with anyone here. Frankly, if I ever have an opportunity to refer a Northport buyer to SoFLGal, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Also, just for the record, the person who went after me wasn't wrong. I did miss the rule! I just took exception to his/her style and, later, his/her reported motivations.

Cshore1957, speaking for myself, I would really appreciate your posting once in a while about your living experience in Riviera Dunes. I haven't talked with an owner in a long time and I'd love to read your comments if you are willing.

SummerBabe: nice find! Fills in some things I wasn't really sure about.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:51 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshore1957 View Post
I have been reading these boards now for about 4 mos... and I am loving them.. lots of great information....I do see a lot of negatives for living in Palmetto though.. we are new to the area.. have only lived here for 2 mos. renting without a lease till we found where we wanted to be ....but I am from Florida.. born and raised on Miami Beach... and lived in GVille for 30 yrs.. now we are here in Bradenton and am loving it especially the Anna Maria area... BUT this week we are moving to Palmetto.. (Riviera Dunes, the condos Belmare). I do agree that Palmetto looks very unappealing when you go into town, but where we are going to be in Palmetto is just over the bridge from Bradenton and is beautiful. I have not seen anyone ever mention Riviera Dunes area as a nice place to live.. and I am curious why??? Is it because of the school zones??? We are in our early 50's and our son just graduated college so that isn't a concern for us.. but I am wondering if the reason that Riviera Dunes Area in Palmetto is never mentioned as a nice place to live is due to that reason.
I think that Palmetto gets a bad rap for the most part. There are some run down areas, but it's more low income migrate workers than real shoot em up ghetto. I'd even go so far as to say that the area in Palmetto you are looking at is better than the area directly across the bridge in Bradenton. I think that one thing people don't like is that there is no real segregation of neighborhoods. There are only a couple of gated communities and the rest is prone to go pretty quickly from upscale to working class.

As a good example; within 5 blocks of my house you can find 800 sq ft duplexes (possibly some section 8 / HUD), lots of average older homes ranging from well kept to run down, canal and riverfront property with 4000+ square ft homes, and even a place built on on a lot two blocks wide and several blocks deep on the river (with a maintenance crew that works 5 days a week).

My suggestion would be to go to Walmart, Publix, or Sweetbay (all within 5 minutes of Riviera Dunes) and see what you think of the people shopping there. Any Saturday afternoon at the three will give you a good cross section of community.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Funny that you suggested my going to the Publix, Walmart.. and Sweetbay in that area of Palmetto a mile from Riviera Dunes.. .because I am already NOT planning to shop there unless I am with my husband... We went to that Publix at night last week, and I don't think I would have felt comfortable had I been by myself.
I will shop at the West Gate Publix on Manatee which will be a few more miles away. I think the only time I will make a left out of Riviera Dunes is to go to the Ellenton mall.
I will miss not having a Publix a mile away, but you can't have everything...I don't live in Bel mare yet.... moving over this Fri.. but I will keep you updated on how it is living there. I have heard from a few people that do live there they love it.... and also from someone that also just rented there, but moved away because he wanted to have a house they he also loved it there. I am excited to 5 miles closer to the Beach then we are now.. and also that it is only 1 mile to downtown Bradenton where my husbands office will be.
We also love the Mangrove restaurant that is next door!! The security is really tight at Belmare... security guard/gate.. then a card to get into the lobby.. and a code to get to your door from the elevator.. and there is only our door and our next door neighbors when you get out of the elevator.. no hallways. I know I will feel safe in our area.. we have been there several times at night.. but that is why I was questioning why it was never mentioned as a nice place to live.. because there are other areas that are nice that have not so nice areas close by... and that is everywhere not just here.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Skunk workz.. From your post I am assuming that you live in Palmetto???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area