Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
no, I have never posted here, but I have read this board several times and these threads are pretty common. The situation I described was in the main Florida board about Sarasota. The posters that bullied me know who they are, and I have seen them bullying other people all the time. They think they own the board. Those that advertise themselves as realtors are more professional but I think some posters here are closeted realtors
Oh OK. No worries. I just couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Thanks for clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
no, I have never posted here, but I have read this board several times and these threads are pretty common. The situation I described was in the main Florida board about Sarasota. The posters that bullied me know who they are, and I have seen them bullying other people all the time. They think they own the board. Those that advertise themselves as realtors are more professional but I think some posters here are closeted realtors

I don't know who that is either. I rarely ever go over to the main Florida Board, and don't remember ever seeing you either.

I just made that same comment about real estate agents a few minutes ago. I think that they all get a pretty bad rapp here in large part because the real estate market has crashed and a lot of people were burned. I would like to point out that the agents more or less get paid a pittance for thier work handling transactions between other parties. The had no part in setting up the rules, or market manipulations that took place that "really" caused people to get burned. I feel it is wrong to bash them - and don't.

When CDW drywalled homes were built and sold - the real estate agents weren't the ones who bought and installed it. When there are defects in homes - they often times have know knowledge of it, and the sellers don't tell anyone. Often when buyers and sellers work to move a piece of property, they act like they are negotiating against their own agents who are working on their behalf - how stupid is that!! Agents know a lot about the area, schools, and other people that can help make buying and selling easier, and try to offer the best advice they can (at least the several agents I have worked with here and elsewhere). As I have said before, they are many levels in the rankings above lawyers, used car salesman, and contractors (me being the later). LOL

I often defer recommendations to many other posters here who are really knowledgeable, like gypsychic, ladywithafan, SoFLGal, and many others. Many great posters here have a great amount of information to share, and it is all very helpful to me and many other posters who I welcome here.

So, Dayneswife (the OP), I think you will find that people from this area are know different than they are from elsewhere. But, my experience is that I surround myself (as much as I can) with positive, upbeat, lively, fun, people, and there are plenty of them to be found here.

AND Thanks to everyone.
BH

Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,154,792 times
spread the love

Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't know who that is either. I rarely ever go over to the main Florida Board, and don't remember ever seeing you either.

I just made that same comment about real estate agents a few minutes ago. I think that they all get a pretty bad rapp here in large part because the real estate market has crashed and a lot of people were burned. I would like to point out that the agents more or less get paid a pittance for thier work handling transactions between other parties. The had no part in setting up the rules, or market manipulations that took place that "really" caused people to get burned. I feel it is wrong to bash them - and don't.

When CDW drywalled homes were built and sold - the real estate agents weren't the ones who bought and installed it. When there are defects in homes - they often times have know knowledge of it, and the sellers don't tell anyone. Often when buyers and sellers work to move a piece of property, they act like they are negotiating against their own agents who are working on their behalf - how stupid is that!! Agents know a lot about the area, schools, and other people that can help make buying and selling easier, and try to offer the best advice they can (at least the several agents I have worked with here and elsewhere). As I have said before, they are many levels in the rankings above lawyers, used car salesman, and contractors (me being the later). LOL

I often defer recommendations to many other posters here who are really knowledgeable, like gypsychic, ladywithafan, SoFLGal, and many others. Many great posters here have a great amount of information to share, and it is all very helpful to me and many other posters who I welcome here.

So, Dayneswife (the OP), I think you will find that people from this area are know different than they are from elsewhere. But, my experience is that I surround myself (as much as I can) with positive, upbeat, lively, fun, people, and there are plenty of them to be found here.

AND Thanks to everyone.
BH
A number of HR's posts on the Florida Board were regards to "where to relocate to in Florida"...she gave her opinion of Sarasota as total seniorville and posted a Utube video that showed an empty downtown...a number of people called her out on it & not just people from our SRQ board.....

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
I want to comment in response to the OP before I read all the other posts, so I'm not influenced by the opinions of others. First of all, this is the internet. So you never know who is lurking on the other side of your monitor. Also, people frequent internet boards for a variety of reasons. Some people are looking for business, some people are lonely, some people are bored, and others get a feeling of power from freely expressing their opinions without recourse (except maybe a moderator cut!) since they're anonymous.

The attitudes you see on a forum are based on each member's personal situation. For example, if John Doe lost his job and his home, he's not going to be as positive as John Brown who moved to Sarasota and won the Florida Lottery. That's pretty obvious and applies to any area. I think a lot depends on the general atmosphere that each forum moderator and the group of people already posting on it promotes. If you join a political forum with a lot of Democrats the posts will be a lot different than if you join a forum with a lot of Republicans, etc., etc.

By the way, there were some members who visited this forum regularly and posted negative comments frequently. I don't know if they were asked to leave or just gave up, but I don't see their comments any more.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 AM

37 posts, read 68,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
I went back and read the thread again. I'll just say that you're a lot more forgiveing than I would be. I think you're doing a great job here and will drop the matter.

Funny part (not really) is that it seems that the OP is a agent also. She could have easily received the same treatment if she had tried to post info on the area without fully understanding the rules. (Or at least the rules as "somebodie's buddy" perceives them.) Hopefully now, it won't happen again to others.
Sorry, just one more thing.

I don’t want to come off as a “know it all”, but I’ve always understood the TOS (Terms Of Service) to say that Real Estate agents were encouraged to join the Real Estate Group, not required. If you read it carefully it’s only suggested that it can be beneficial to them if they do so. It’s not even required that they identify themselves as agents.

If I was going to go around and play Moderator and start telling people that they had to follow the rules, I certainly would make sure that I fully understood them myself first.

I’ll agree that it’s not spelled out very clearly in the TOS, but I found this in the "About The Forum" section, and it’s pretty clear:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
Why Realtors have to put a "House" stamp next to ID? No body else seems to use it. Ex: Attorney -libra stamp, Teachers - a book, Automech-a car; What are the identification rules?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Realtors do not have to become a member of the Real Estate group; it is an option for them. You can read all about the Real Estate, as well as all of the rules, here: Terms of Service - City-Data Forum
Beretta is a mod, BTY.

Maybe somebody knows something that I don’t???

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM

94 posts, read 186,010 times
Default People is People

Like anything on the internet, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I have been watching this board for a couple of years now and In the most part, it is civilized and helpful. A lot of very friendly people. I am very happy with this board and actually met my realtor in this forum.

But occasionally you get someone who is just not happy here and let's everyone know it.

But Florida is not for everyone. Different strokes for different folks.

Follow your gut instinct.

BTW we just moved here from a small town outside of Pittsburgh and we have lived in Philly years ago.

The Venice area is Heaven in comparison.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:51 PM

96 posts, read 296,369 times
Default I find most people here pretty nice (:

we moved here from new mexico (to which i lived most of my life). i think albuquerque new mexico is one of the crabbiest places i've ever lived and the board for albuquerque is likewise very crabby! i used to try and get on there pretty often because i'm so familiar with the place and can help folks. however, people posting were just so darn rude, i finally gave up!

i've found people on the sarasota board to be really really friendly and helpful. likewise, i've lived here for 4 mos. now and find that people are pretty much the same on the streets (: i really like it here.

we were looking into tennessee befor emoving here and it seemed that the folks in nashville were very happy and upbeat and people in knoxville hated to be alive. i was subsequently told that that's the vibe in both places.

so, my answer to your question, is that i do think how nice or crabby the general population of the city-data board is seems to be a good indicator of how nice or crabby the city will be. 99% of the posters on this board are nice. there are 100 houses in my neighborhood and 1 super crabby neighbor with the rest being sweethearts (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area