Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,006 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Minnesota in September, I have been looking for jobs and sending resumes like crazy. I'm starting to get nervous that it might be tricky to find a job down there.
Is it easy to find employment down there in person?

What is a comfortable income to live by month to month in Florida?
The taxes being different kind of make me nervous.

ANY advice on anything would be so awesome! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM

305 posts, read 611,098 times
Did you trying applying in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area? There's probably more oppurtunies there.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,006 times
Would those towns be quite a haul from Sarasota?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

305 posts, read 611,098 times
not quite, but a good commute. it depends where in Sarasota you are.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
You're moving here in a month and have no job lined up? That's no good.

I have no idea what your profession is, but if it is anything other than medical, you will have trouble finding work here. And even in the medical field, it will still take some time. I assume you have some savings to live on?

Yes, it will be a haul getting to St. Pete or Tampa for work, but I won't be too surprised if you don't end up doing exactly that.

Good luck. I think you're going to need it.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
What type of work are you looking for? As a general rule, you will find that wages are lower here than in the NE and metro areas such as Chicago.

Do you have housing secured? If so, can you afford to cover expenses for at least 6 months if you need to?

Employers do tend to take your application more seriously if you have a local address. Again, it depends on your field and if you have a vocation or job training that is in demand.

If you're going to have to commute to St. Pete or Tampa, you may be better off finding housing near the Sarasota - Bradenton county line (University Parkway) area, in Manatee county or near I-75 so you have quicker access to the interstate.

I hope things go well for you with your move.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Yes, it is very difficult to find jobs in Florida right now. Your best bet is in a larger city, but no guarantees.

Unemployment rates for June 2011
Sarasota 10.8%
Charlotte 11.1%
DeSoto 9.9%
Lee 11.6%
Florida (seasonally adjusted) 10.6%

Job search sites: www.indeed.com, www.employflorida.com, www.careerbuilder.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.jobfocus.com,
www.yoursun.com

Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Your question is much too general without knowing about your education and experience and if you are in a specialized field. If you are talking about hourly jobs, FL wages have always been considerably lower than anywhere else I've lived, and they haven't changed much in 20 years (except that the min wage is higher) $10 to $12 an hour is considered average. Many businesses start new employees @ $8 or $9.

Also, what is comfortable for me might be very uncomfortable for someone else. I've met plenty of people who think $100,000 a year isn't a lot of money and others who would be thrilled to be making $30,000. Only you know what your lifestyle demands. You also didn't say if you plan to buy or rent (or possibly share) and what your other expenses will be. For example, someone with a $400 a month car payment needs to earn about $5,000 more than someone without one. I also know people who don't use cars, although I can't imagine living in any area of FL without one. Still, that makes a big difference. I'm not trying to be sarcastic either. I know couples who don't watch TV (no cable bill) and go the library if they want to use a computer, and many who don't even own a computer. Do you smoke? Drink? The main difference between what you need now to live and what you'll need here will be your housing expenses (and winter coats & boots of course!) Food isn't any cheaper, gas isn't any cheaper and I doubt if utilities will cost less, except for home heating fuel in the winter.

I also don't understand the question
Quote:
What is a comfortable income to live by month to month in Florida?
Florida isn't a town, it's a huge state with over 18 million people. It would be like asking people in New York how much they need. Do they live in Manhattan or in a small, rural town? Even if you narrow it down to a county, the lifestyle from one city to another can vary greatly, i.e., North Port vs Sarasota.

Honestly, I wish you a lot of luck whatever you do, but you really need to provide more information about why you're moving here. Your comment about "the taxes being different makes me nervous" indicates you're talking about buying property not renting. Otherwise, the comment doesn't make sense to me, since Florida has no state income tax.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Yes, it is very difficult to find jobs in Florida right now. Your best bet is in a larger city, but no guarantees.

Unemployment rates for June 2011
Sarasota 10.8%
Charlotte 11.1%
DeSoto 9.9%
Lee 11.6%
Florida (seasonally adjusted) 10.6%

Job search sites: www.indeed.com, www.employflorida.com, www.careerbuilder.com, www.simplyhired.com, www.jobfocus.com,
www.yoursun.com
i think these numbers are low when compared to actual unemployment. its the same game that the current administration is doing to make it not seem its as bad as it actually is. i think the real federal unemployment is more like 16% than the skewed and cooked numbers of 9.2%.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
i think these numbers are low when compared to actual unemployment. its the same game that the current administration is doing to make it not seem its as bad as it actually is. i think the real federal unemployment is more like 16% than the skewed and cooked numbers of 9.2%.
Totally agreed. My wife is an RN/BSN, and has excellent experience and credentials. Even she had to jump through many hoops and accept less than she was accustomed to in a work environment that is definitely lacking a bit.

I cannot imagine moving here without a job in hand unless I had a minimum of six months' expenses set aside. This national economy is in serious trouble, so it only follows that a seasonal area like this should be even more difficult.

Two of the last three restaurants I have called for a table have gone under, and those are some of the good ones. We have people asking "why all the vacant storefronts."

Next stop: tumbleweeds.

Note: this is hyperbole, but I am assuredly concerned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area