Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:21 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,845,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
There are so many inaccuracies in the comments about Ohio weather in this thread that it is pointless to attempt to correct them. For those people who are uncomfortable whenever the thermometer dips below 70, by all means enjoy the South and the jungle humidity and the heat and the lightning and the bugs. But you become pitiful when you have to boost your ego by bashing other States. Sorry, but you do NOT reside in Paradise.

I can't wait to go back to Paradise. Where I reside most of the year. And it's not Ohio. Bring on that jungle heat!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM

509 posts, read 908,147 times
Quote:
you become pitiful when you have to boost your ego by bashing other States. Sorry, but you do NOT reside in Paradise.
If you don't see the irony in this statement...

Old 10-02-2013, 03:39 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,378,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
If you don't see the irony in this statement...

Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,478,848 times
It's quite common for someone to assume that when the term is used as it was, there's a reference to lifestyle orientation and mental instabilities, since that's often how it's been used for many years when someone being derogatory toward the area. Even so, I guess, possibly, not everyone using the phrase, may realize calling someone a fruit carries such meaning the therein.

Urban Dictionary: Land of Fruits and Nuts

Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,110,468 times
That slang is so last century. I think it is more that people don't realize it no longer carries that connotation in CA. It's meaning has evolved to the crazy end and away from the sexual orientation meaning. No one here is derogatory to gay people. People who still think it has a gay connotation probably still use the word groovy.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,004,031 times
I think everyone has a preference for being hot, or cold.

The spring, summer, and fall up north equate to our fall, winter and spring. End of October thru the end of April here are BEAUTIFUL; our windows are open that entire time with no heat or ac. May thru October are HOT. 4 of those months are really dreadful. The difference is, we have pools and beaches and boats, so we can still be outside to cool off. The difference is we have sun year round. I personally could not stand not to have sun for a few months a year, but that's me.

Ideally, I'd love to live in California or Hawaii where it's always perfect, but it is cost prohibitive. So I make the best of what I can. I would love to have the fall season, but would not be able to handle the cold winters.

Florida isn't for everyone, but neither is Ohio. Snowbirds have the best of everything! I can't wait to be one! I'll be in the Carolina mountains in the summer, and in Florida October thru April!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 AM

597 posts, read 1,445,011 times
It's money from the sky! I don't have to pay to water my lawn

Old 10-05-2013, 02:45 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,905,509 times
Quote:
There are so many inaccuracies in the comments about Ohio weather in this thread that it is pointless to attempt to correct them. For those people who are uncomfortable whenever the thermometer dips below 70, by all means enjoy the South and the jungle humidity and the heat and the lightning and the bugs. But you become pitiful when you have to boost your ego by bashing other States. Sorry, but you do NOT reside in Paradise.
I just came back from a week in OH, Cincy area. I looooved it there. That area is a really beautiful part of the country! That being said, there were A LOT more bugs there than in Miami. We went to mini-golf and were constantly being checked out by bees and stink bugs. Very unnerving for bug-phobic people like my dd and I. We went hiking in Sharon Woods and saw plenty of bugs there too. We also went to a street fair in Glendale - sooo soooo fun!!!! - but bees there too. Maybe it's because I saw so many flowers. Maybe because it was still HOT! Wow - you guys have BIG bees there! So yeah, while we have "jungle humidity" here, the bugs are way less. We made sure not to wear any perfume either, but they still were buzzing around us.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,110,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I just came back from a week in OH, Cincy area. I looooved it there. That area is a really beautiful part of the country! That being said, there were A LOT more bugs there than in Miami. We went to mini-golf and were constantly being checked out by bees and stink bugs. Very unnerving for bug-phobic people like my dd and I. We went hiking in Sharon Woods and saw plenty of bugs there too. We also went to a street fair in Glendale - sooo soooo fun!!!! - but bees there too. Maybe it's because I saw so many flowers. Maybe because it was still HOT! Wow - you guys have BIG bees there! So yeah, while we have "jungle humidity" here, the bugs are way less. We made sure not to wear any perfume either, but they still were buzzing around us.
October is one of the most beautiful months in Ohio. How was the fall foliage? Just starting to turn?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,905,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
October is one of the most beautiful months in Ohio. How was the fall foliage? Just starting to turn?

Yes, it was starting to turn which made me so happy, It was beautiful. Wish we would've waited a few more weeks, but dd wanted to spend her birthday up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area