Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times

Advertisements

We are buying new construction and I don't like the choices of the countertops they are offering.. I would like to put quartz in , does anybody have a place to recommend?

Thanks , you are all so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,146,653 times
GVM granite 239 334 2433

ask for Calin , say Pete recommended them.

be warned Quartz is a lot more than granite

your builder should have let you upgrade if he isn't providing decent stuff !!!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,416 times
This is a reputable company in Venice Granite Venice, FL

Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM

33 posts, read 41,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post

be warned Quartz is a lot more than granite
A little context is in order here. Yes, if you're comparing major brand quartz to entry level granite, the quartz is more expensive, however, if you're comparing it to mid or upper range granite, quartz is quite competitive.

Unlike many stones, quartz never needs expensive sealers and comes with a factory warranty that most stones do not have. Most quartz surfaces have a National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) designation which few granites have.

Customers must educate themselves to the tradeoffs in all surfaces.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,416 times
Martha Stewart is going to be offering a granite counter top line in Home Depot, and she is advertising it as priced competitively to mid range granite.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 PM

147 posts, read 173,594 times
Don't want to steal this thread, but why would one want quartz over granite? Just wondering as I am almost sold on it for our next house. More color choices, easier maintenance, what are your reasons for selecting quartz? I do know you don't have to seal, but any other pros/cons?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 PM

33 posts, read 41,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
Don't want to steal this thread, but why would one want quartz over granite? Just wondering as I am almost sold on it for our next house. More color choices, easier maintenance, what are your reasons for selecting quartz? I do know you don't have to seal, but any other pros/cons?
kimmerthy:

I make my living repairing surfaces, most of them countertops. Without a doubt, the most oversold countertop is granite. To listen to the stoners, we should be making car tires out of the stuff it's so good.

It's a fine countertop, but there are advantages to each. Hard water will kill granite; Corian laughs at hard water. No, white vinegar won't remove the scale, despite what you watch on YouTube. I've got to remove the faucet and grind with diamonds. Pictures by request.

Since granite has such little strength in tension, it is often "rodded" at sinks and other weak areas. If the fabricator uses polyester instead of epoxy and cold steel instead of stainless or fiberglas, the sink flange sealant can fail, dumping water on the polyester, penetrate, rust, and subsequently expand the imbedded rod. There is no stone on earth stronger than rust and the granite fails catastrophically. I can fix it for about $1,000.00 with no cosmetic guarantee. With modern transportation methods, rodding is old school and obsolete. Quartz manufacturers do not recommend rodding.

Lay a 3cm x 4" x 10' piece of quartz and granite next to each other and pick up each in the middle on the flat. The granite will break, the quartz will not. 3cm quartz can be cantilevered up to 14" without additional support, granite only 10" according to the Marble Institute of America, the 70-year-old trade association of the natural stone industry.

Setting hot pots directly on any countertop is not recommended by the MIA, the quartz or solid surface manufacturers. This is another stoner-perpetrated myth. Don't believe me? Stop by Hungry Howies Pizza in Ellenton, FL, if you'd like to see heat lamps that cracked granite.

Granite can be permanently stained by common kitchen items from red wine to olive oil. Most repairpersons won't do poultice work because it's impossible to charge enough and there is simply no way to know if the stain is coming out or not. How'd you like to take your car to your mechanic and have him tell you "It's kinda fixed."?

Granite is difficult to scratch, but relatively easy to refinish. Ouartz scratches are easily removed, but matching factory finish can be extremely difficult, depending on color, particulate, movement, lighting, fussiness and sophistication level of the customer, and who put the scratch in the top.

Of course I have pictures and/or documentation/citation of everything I've said here available upon request.

http://www.marble-institute.com/pdfs...countertop.pdf

Rusting Reinforcement Rod Repair In Granite Countertop

Apron Sink Granite Retrofit - Kitchens Forum - GardenWeb

Heat Lamps Cracking Granite?

Stone Advice • View topic - Estone Hot Pot Repair

Last edited by Mr. Conover; 08-26-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 AM

529 posts, read 1,008,248 times
^ Nice, thanks for the information Mr. Conover.

We went with Quartz through the Home Depot on Cattlemen Rd, good price and a great job on the install.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM

147 posts, read 173,594 times
Thank you, Mr. Conover!! Yes, I LOATHE our granite, ugg. It's all through our house. And you're right, it does not like hard water. We have a softener, of course, but over the years, the granite is just taking a beating. We got Latinum granite installed on our bar in the basement last year and it's by far my favorite and only because of the color, nice and light! I'm looking forward to researching quartz for our FL home, bye bye granite, I've had it up to here ^^^ with white vinegar

Old 08-27-2014, 09:26 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Mr. Conovor

What are your thoughts about soapstone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area