Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 AM

707 posts, read 1,053,087 times

Advertisements

North Port or Cape Coral? It's more like neither North Port nor Cape Coral. Both are real estate markets still struggling to recover, with prices lower than neighboring areas. Prices are a function of demand. You can find similarly priced homes in Venice or Englewood that are better choices for a number of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:36 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,269 times
I have heard Cape Coral referred to as Cape Coma -

Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM

80 posts, read 341,070 times
North Port is an amazing City. Spend just a day driving the area and it shows. New 3B & 2B homes available from $150k, Sarasota County Schools, new shopping and restaurants, parks, boating, fishing, golf, beaches near by. Rents and homes prices increasing between 5 and 10% annually which is healty for the City.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 AM

707 posts, read 1,053,087 times
North Port is a city? Where's it's downtown? Why all the vacant lots with no public water or sewer?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 AM

180 posts, read 262,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
North Port or Cape Coral? It's more like neither North Port nor Cape Coral. Both are real estate markets still struggling to recover, with prices lower than neighboring areas. Prices are a function of demand. You can find similarly priced homes in Venice or Englewood that are better choices for a number of reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
North Port is a city? Where's it's downtown? Why all the vacant lots with no public water or sewer?
We get it. You don't like it. Now crawl back under your rock.

Marylola....I can't speak to Cape Coral but here is the reasons my wife and I chose North Port.

During the winter months traffic is at a crawl just about everywhere else. North Port has a good mix of both retirees and young families, much less traffic and great parks.

Yes, it's a little slower and laid back but if you want shopping, great restaurants, night life, beaches and things to do you're only minutes away from it all.

Lower housing costs, low crime, less traffic, quieter neighborhoods and more room to breathe sealed the deal for us. Not to mention it's in a higher flood elevation so your insurance costs will probably be less than half than what they pay in costal towns which are only 20 minutes away.

I'm not saying that it's perfect do but take some time and drive around that town. Talk to a few people. Our REA told us that to get a good feel for an area go to the local grocery stores. Look around at the condition of the store and the people shopping in it.

Or you can follow dpbarr's advice and pay nearly twice as much on RE taxes, 3 times as much for flood insurance and crawl around in bumper to bumper traffic during the winter in higher crime areas. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me. No wonder he's cranky.

Last edited by DaGoose; 12-11-2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 03:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,157,267 times
City of North Port, FL : Home

they think so !!!

Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 PM

142 posts, read 242,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
Or you can follow dpbarr's advice and pay nearly twice as much on RE taxes, 3 times as much for flood insurance and crawl around in bumper to bumper traffic during the winter in higher crime areas. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me. No wonder he's cranky.
I agree. I lived in NP for 2 years, and now I'm stuck in Sarasota again (only place I could get a job). Ugh. How I miss the easy living of NP! If there was a train or something to do the commute for me, or a place for me to work in NP, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 PM

4,622 posts, read 7,550,946 times
Or you can follow dpbarr's advice and pay nearly twice as much on RE taxes, 3 times as much for flood insurance and crawl around in bumper to bumper traffic during the winter in higher crime areas. Doesn't sound like much of a life to me.

Flood insurance is a national program, rates are set based on factors such as predetermined flood zones and base flood elevation of the home on the lot. Most of Sarasota is not located within designated flood zones. There are actually quite a few neighborhoods "west of Trail (US 41) in Sarasota that, while close to the bay, are not within designated flood zones.

The main (ad-valorem) portion of the property tax bills in Sarasota county are determined by the the assessed value of the home, which are influenced by recent sales. Sales prices are influenced by a number of factors but basically it comes down to what a buyer is willing to pay to live in a particular home in a particular neighborhood/location/city.

There are a lot of things to consider when selecting a new place to live, such as do you need to find employment/ commute times to employment, the overall cost of living, what does the area have to offer in the way of things you like to do (ie does it fit your lifestyle), school districts, cultural activities, crime statistics, climate, even things such as healthcare facilities or political beliefs can be a factor for some people.

People should determine which criteria is most important to them and their family, then do the homework to find the location that best fits their personal criteria. Access to sites such as city-data provides information and opinions to help with that search, but the best way to really know if a location is "the one" is to spend at least a week there, driving around, talking with people, getting to know the area first hand.

Any location will have both good and bad features, positives and negatives. It's up to the individual to weigh those pros and cons and determine what will be the best fit for his/her personal lifestyle and needs.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:44 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,193,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
People should determine which criteria is most important to them and their family, then do the homework to find the location that best fits their personal criteria. Access to sites such as city-data provides information and opinions to help with that search, but the best way to really know if a location is "the one" is to spend at least a week there, driving around, talking with people, getting to know the area first hand.

Any location will have both good and bad features, positives and negatives. It's up to the individual to weigh those pros and cons and determine what will be the best fit for his/her personal lifestyle and needs.

I have to second Sunshine's advice, defining your criteria and spending time in your target neighborhood is excellent advice. Too many times you'll see posters go negative on an area. That area might not be right for them, but it could be right for you. If everyone wanted the same thing, we'd all be living in the same house in the same neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area