Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
I lived in the Carolina's and many of my southern neighbors stared at my wife and I like we were aliens.
Do you have green skin and antennae?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
That's cool your a Native. But, I like my City to have lots of locals and a local culture. I would not like living in a place where very few people are from there.
I've met many native Floridians, but you need to remember that much of Florida wasn't developed 30 years ago, especially on the west coast. Look at population statistics.

Many other areas of the country have also grown. It's good for the economy, even though there are plenty of negatives. It's not just Florida that is transient. We live in a world where people travel to go to college and get a better job. My family is from Boston, but I only have one living relative left in MA. My sister got married and her husband worked (recently retired) in Washington DC, so they built a home in VA. Her 2 daughters found careers in other states and then they also got married and raised families near their in-laws who live in other states. She just moved to Florida after her husband retired. You obviously grew up in a different type of environment, and there's nothing wrong with that, but we live in a world of continuous change.

[url=http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/26/growth-in-south-florida-i-4-corridor-propelled-pop/?page=all]Growth in South Florida, I-4 corridor propelled population - Washington Times[/url]

Old 08-19-2015, 05:15 PM

186 posts, read 332,088 times
For the OP, yes most current pop in SRQ area are transplants, but largely seem pleasant and friendly.....from the many times I've visited there. And also, there are still few remnant "southern" areas of Florida along the coast... you just have to go to northern FL to experience "the south". lived there, been there, done that. The Big Bend region of the northwestern Gulf coast is southern. it aint' as pretty looking coast beaches as VA, NC, SC....but it's still more like The South than most anywhere else along the coast of FL - east or west coasts.

Ahhhh yes..... "the video". still hilarious.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Would it help to mention the Allman Brothers are from Florida and much of the band from the SRQ area?

Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 PM

4,622 posts, read 7,550,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Would it help to mention the Allman Brothers are from Florida and much of the band from the SRQ area?
Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers has lived in Sarasota for years, He was born in south Florida and grew up in Bradenton.

My husband has a friend that is 4th generation Sarasota born and raised. He doesn't consider himself a "Southerner," he calls himself a Florida cracker.

For those who don't know what a FL cracker is, here is probably the definition that best matches the ones I know: Urban Dictionary: Florida Cracker

Old 08-20-2015, 05:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,936,168 times

When my parents were young Gregg, Dickey and the others would play out on Anna Maria Island. Dickey Betts and Great Southern live in Sarasota and he used to be out in Myakka City. Nice guy and a true southern cracker. Great Southern stopped touring early this year when Dickey's brother, Joel, got sick with lung cancer and passed away in early April. Occasionally he's out at local clubs and sometimes makes it out to see local artist, Twinkle.

The term Florida cracker was originally used by the early settlers and came from the sound of the cowboys cracking the whip on the cattle. This specific term was used to describe the early settlers that used the Florida Cracker Trail which runs from Bradenton (the town I was born in) to Fort Pierce. My family was part of the original Florida Cracker Trail.

The term is used as a proud or jocular self-description. Since the huge influx of new residents into Florida from the northern parts of the United States, and Latin America, in the late 20th and early 21st centuries, "Florida Cracker" is used informally by some Floridians to indicate that their family has lived there for many generations; and/or that they were born and raised in the state of Florida. It is considered a source of pride to be descended from "frontier people who did not just live but flourished in a time before air conditioning, mosquito repellent, and screens."

Now, your average "cracker" has somewhat of a derogatory connotation. Meaning an unsophisticated, uneducated white person.

I prefer to think of myself as the former and not the later

Last edited by SoFLGal; 08-20-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 08-20-2015, 11:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,438,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
For the OP, yes most current pop in SRQ area are transplants, but largely seem pleasant and friendly.....from the many times I've visited there. And also, there are still few remnant "southern" areas of Florida along the coast... you just have to go to northern FL to experience "the south". lived there, been there, done that. The Big Bend region of the northwestern Gulf coast is southern. it aint' as pretty looking coast beaches as VA, NC, SC....but it's still more like The South than most anywhere else along the coast of FL - east or west coasts.

Ahhhh yes..... "the video". still hilarious.

Thanks for this information treeboy, a good post from you here.
And, I really like the Allman Brothers, so thanks to ya'll for posting it!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:49 PM

707 posts, read 1,053,087 times
Good, we don't need "bums" in the Sarasota area. Stay with the good old crackers in SC. Maybe you don't think you'll cut it in Sarasota because you are poorly educated and can't differentiate between "your" and "you're".

As far as local culture, we have the highest per capita number of locally owned 4 star restaurants, a thriving arts scene, and a ton of art galleries and museums.

Sorry, we don't have mud truck races or community pig roasting.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,639,721 times
I was born at raised in Alabama and spend all my adult life in Atlanta. We moved to Venice in October. I've lost count of how many times some person who talks like Rocky or Tony Soprano has commented on my accent. It's all good.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I was born at raised in Alabama and spend all my adult life in Atlanta. We moved to Venice in October. I've lost count of how many times some person who talks like Rocky or Tony Soprano has commented on my accent. It's all good.
Great post. People who have an accent don't realize they have one! They live in their own little bubble.

When I lived & worked in MA, there was a stereotype that people with Southern accents weren't too bright. I guess Rhodes Scholar Bill Clinton proved them wrong! (and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr before him.) There are stereotypes for every group of people, and not just by region. I get annoyed, but even in SWFL I've heard insulting, antisemitic comments, so I do my best to ignore them. Unfortunately, my temper gets the best of me when provoked.

So whether you're in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Michigan or North Dakota, you're always going to meet people who are hateful racists or nice people who have preconceived ideas from childhood about those who look different, pray differently or come from a different state or country.

I want to add one more thing. Why do people move to Florida and then ask why so many people are from somewhere else?

Last edited by justNancy; 08-22-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area