Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
Thanks, newtovenice. I am not looking to hash out political identity all the time, but to talk about current issues openly. In certain areas of the country, you cannot do that if you lean to the left. Where I am now, there is open racism - I don't feel safe around it. It is important to live and feel comfortable in like minded communities, especially if you are a minority, for whatever reason.
Again, if you are looking for politics, what I am saying is that it is not a topic of conversation. Does not matter what your views are, people just don't bring it up.

I have been here almost a year and not one person has mentioned politics to me, asked me who I voted for, or what party I belong to. Just general small talk around the subject. Think back when your parents told you not to discuss money, religion or politics. It's that kind of attitude here. If it truly matters to you, go to Palm Beach County. They love politics over there.

Just as an aside, whenever someone posts here looking for advice on where to live because of their political views, they are always liberal looking to live in areas that only have other liberals. No one ever says that they are looking for a conservative area to go live with other conservatives. I find that ironic given the stereotypes of both political viewpoints, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM

28 posts, read 28,953 times
I agree with a previous poster on looking into St. Pete - your budget will likely allow you to live in the nicer areas of the city. I prefer a bit more open space and quiet, so I'm in Bradenton, but looking to leave the state soon. If you're left leaning in a social manner, Bradenton would be tough, depending on your situation. As an LGBT person, I deal with bigotry and discrimination on a pretty regular basis, including being denied services, being threatened with violence, etc. (and I'm very stealthy about my identity and my partner, I claim he's my brother when we get asked about our living situation). Not an open minded area, and racism is prevalent, even among my acquaintances and friends. My white friends don't want to be around my Hispanic friends, they aren't comfortable mixing with them and are uncomfortable about my black neighbors. I can't speak for everyone of course, just my experience living here for about four years.

I've heard Sarasota is a little more diverse and I like the artsy atmosphere. I prefer Bradenton's beach areas and parks just because they're less congested than St. Pete's and Sarasota's, but both of the latter options have plenty of good spots to choose from, and more unique spots food and drink wise. Riverwalk in Bradenton is okay, neat the first few times but not great after dark. Tampa's Riverwalk is a better alternative.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 PM

133 posts, read 149,639 times
Thank you for your comment. What you are describing is what I would like to avoid, regarding the prejudice. Sorry to hear Bradenton can be like that.... Since there is such a present arts and spiritual community in Sarasota, I was thinking it may be more open minded. Maybe I should focus in on St. Pete though. What state would you be moving to? I am also looking at the Delray area and have heard that is very open minded - but would really prefer the west coast because of being less busy and having more space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo-shark View Post
I agree with a previous poster on looking into St. Pete - your budget will likely allow you to live in the nicer areas of the city. I prefer a bit more open space and quiet, so I'm in Bradenton, but looking to leave the state soon. If you're left leaning in a social manner, Bradenton would be tough, depending on your situation. As an LGBT person, I deal with bigotry and discrimination on a pretty regular basis, including being denied services, being threatened with violence, etc. (and I'm very stealthy about my identity and my partner, I claim he's my brother when we get asked about our living situation). Not an open minded area, and racism is prevalent, even among my acquaintances and friends. My white friends don't want to be around my Hispanic friends, they aren't comfortable mixing with them and are uncomfortable about my black neighbors. I can't speak for everyone of course, just my experience living here for about four years.

I've heard Sarasota is a little more diverse and I like the artsy atmosphere. I prefer Bradenton's beach areas and parks just because they're less congested than St. Pete's and Sarasota's, but both of the latter options have plenty of good spots to choose from, and more unique spots food and drink wise. Riverwalk in Bradenton is okay, neat the first few times but not great after dark. Tampa's Riverwalk is a better alternative.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
If you look into Delray, make SURE you ask your realtor about any sober homes (rehab/halfway houses for addicts that are in residential neighborhoods) in the area. It is a real issue over there.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:16 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times
Sarasota is not really "artsy" and not diverse at all - at least wherever I go - now - this is just my opinion.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 AM

28 posts, read 28,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailelsa View Post
Thank you for your comment. What you are describing is what I would like to avoid, regarding the prejudice. Sorry to hear Bradenton can be like that.... Since there is such a present arts and spiritual community in Sarasota, I was thinking it may be more open minded. Maybe I should focus in on St. Pete though. What state would you be moving to? I am also looking at the Delray area and have heard that is very open minded - but would really prefer the west coast because of being less busy and having more space.
I think St. Pete would be a fun place to live, if you don't mind it being more of a city than a town! Sarasota is also more of a city to me as well, though it is a retirement city, so that has an effect I think. I'm not familiar with the Delray area as I've only visited Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, though I do know that the south side of Florida is known to be pretty different from the central and northern parts. I prefer the gulf coast though too, prettiest beaches in the state, imo

There's a part of me that still wants to stay in FL due to the beautiful beaches and stormy summers, I love those aspects of the state a lot and definitely understand the appeal to moving here! But I miss the four seasons I grew up with, wide open spaces as opposed to increasing urban sprawl, and I'd like a small town that's more tolerant, so I'm looking into quiet areas of New England, most likely Massachusetts this year. Pricey in the cities but surprisingly average cost-wise in some small towns (and working from home means I don't have to seek urban centers too). Not fully decided, but looking.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:20 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Hey Sailesa, I'm originally from Philly and liberal-leaning-moderate too. Way older than you, but wanted to comment on a couple things:

I'm in West Bradenton, it's lovely and close to the gorgeous beaches of Anna Maria Island. However, it's LOADED with retirees. I remember being at a restaurant for lunch and in a nearby booth was two couples, all with gray hair, glasses and Midwest accents. They left, and in their place sat two couples, gray hair and glasses, and Midwest accents. So that's what you get around here. Or, rednecks driving big trucks. One thing is, if you find a good neighborhood, you need to check the adjoining areas -- there might be a run-down neighborhood with cars on the lawn and a 7-11 nearby.

Politics. No, people don't overtly ask your political persuasion, but trust me, you get the lay of the land just by hanging at the pool, going to a restaurant for lunch, going over to the Moose on the Island for a drink, or even taking the dog to the dog park. And you will clearly find out that you are in the minority. I have some neighbors and friends who are Democrats and we have to almost give each other a secret handshake so others won't know. They're the only ones I feel I can talk current events. In mixed company, we shut it. Unless they are clearly dissing one of our people or policies, they we will fight back.

I was very inspired by the thousands of women/men/children who marched on 1/21 down in Sarasota at the Sailor love statue. So there must be a more liberal contingent in Sarasota. I don't think Bradenton held a march. So my point being, you'll be able to find like-minded political discussions, they just may not be right next-door. You might have to do some searching for Democratic Clubs in the area.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
I've lived on both coasts, and would not choose this one if you're a liberal. Choose South Beach, or certain areas of Ft. Lauderdale. Or as another poster mentioned, West Palm Beach. This coast is mostly republican-leaning.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,539 times
Hi I lived in Tampa in the 90'S moved down to Sarasota County in 08. If I can answer any questions for you just me know.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 PM

133 posts, read 149,639 times
Thank you to all for your comments! Good stuff! Keep it coming What about St. Petersburg, or somewhere in Pinellas County, like some have said?? This seems like it might be more open minded and progressive. Or am I wrong on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area