Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:20 AM

226 posts, read 249,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
You have no idea what the OP meant by gay-friendly, and neither do I. That's why I asked for clarification of what he meant, no insinuation. Good grief, stop the kneejerk offense.

I know, and I agree, that was part of my questioning as well. I don't know what the OP constitutes being sufficiently homosexual friendly to make Heron Creek 'worthy' of consideration for living there! Perhaps some homosexuals are much too 'deep' in their own sexual proclivities that it overshadows the real factors of what makes a community decent or fair? I don't know, maybe being homosexual 'friendly' means something to homosexuals that doesn't comport with the majority community? I trying to figure out why would Heron Creek want to be homosexual friendly in the first place. Why is it worthy of mention? Is it a good thing to be polyamorous 'friendly', or a 'bad thing' for a community in which to live and mind one's own business? Where does this 'language' come from in the first place? Do people make up a lexicon to ameliorate their own behavior and agenda? Homosexuals aren't "gay". What happened to labeling such as "*****" (Q U E E R was deleted here for unknown crazy reasons). Heterosexuals aren't "straight". Heterosexuals don't label themselves as "straight", they're just heterosexuals. Homosexuals are homosexuals. Simple. Truth in advertising would certainly help. I'm not certain what is the underlying meaning and connotation of being 'homosexual friendly' I show myself friendly to those who show themselves friendly to me. I don't necessarily pursue specific groups in order to establish some kind of 'friendship'....and sexual proclivities of my Heron Creek neighbors would be totally removed from that evaluative process. Some people are worthy of friendship, and some are not. Some people you might say 'good morning' to, some you may not. Some neighbors you might feel comfortable inviting in your house for dinner and drinks, some you might want to stay in their own yard, and purely avoid. that goes for Heron Creek and all other communities it seems to me. Some neighbors you might not spit on, even if they were on fire. Just try to respect other neighbors, mind you own business, and don't get involved with another neighbor's aberrant sexual proclivities. That seems to be stepping outside one's boundaries.....just like asking whether Heron Creek (as if it's a monolith) is 'homosexual friendly', thus somehow worthy of an investment or purchase in the community. No one in Heron Creek is going to throw a block-party for your purchasing a house down the street or next door.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:09 AM

704 posts, read 771,659 times
Here are some of my thoughts on this. I really don't care what you do behind closed doors. Live and let live. Husband and I were at the beach last year and there was a heterosexual couple making out. We seriously wanted to tell them to get a room. I would have the same thoughts regarding homosexual displays. It is inappropriate behavior in public regardless of how you sexually identify.

If you want to live in a strong gay community then I would say this might not be the place for you. The demographics will tell you that it is predominantly retirees that live here or at least in Venice. It is also pretty conservative. Here in Venice we pretty much roll up the sidewalks at 8 p.m.

I will also add that the vast majority of the people I have met here in Venice are very nice and friendly.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 AM

What the heck is a 'strong' homosexual community? What the heck is a 'strong' heterosexual community?
Who wants to live in a 'strong' homosexual 'community'? meaning maybe only other homosexuals? majority homosexuals? Oh my, my. There are some community participants just wish to live in a 'strong' normal and productive community. Some people don't want to live in a 'strong' Hispanic community. Some people may not want to live in a 'strong' Catholic or Southern Baptist community. Still others may not seek out a 'strong' black community. It is reasonable to assume that there are also some people who may not wish to live within a 'strong' homosexual community either - or even loud, boisterous and partying college students, or around people that have 4 or 5 dogs that bark incessantly.

It's quite abnormal and offensive to flaunt or display 'sexual proclivities' within any decent community. No one needs to know of, or participate in, or validate your sexual appetites, and certainly not support another's choices - publicly or privately

No one in Heron Creek is going to take a headcount or perform a census on who's sexual appetites are normal, and who's are not (unless there is some kind of weird confrontation, or preoccupation or inquiry).

Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
What the heck is a 'strong' homosexual community? What the heck is a 'strong' heterosexual community?
Who wants to live in a 'strong' homosexual 'community'? meaning maybe only other homosexuals? majority homosexuals? Oh my, my. There are some community participants just wish to live in a 'strong' normal and productive community. Some people don't want to live in a 'strong' Hispanic community. Some people may not want to live in a 'strong' Catholic or Southern Baptist community. Still others may not seek out a 'strong' black community. It is reasonable to assume that there are also some people who may not wish to live within a 'strong' homosexual community either - or even loud, boisterous and partying college students, or around people that have 4 or 5 dogs that bark incessantly.

It's quite abnormal and offensive to flaunt or display 'sexual proclivities' within any decent community. No one needs to know of, or participate in, or validate your sexual appetites, and certainly not support another's choices - publicly or privately

No one in Heron Creek is going to take a headcount or perform a census on who's sexual appetites are normal, and who's are not (unless there is some kind of weird confrontation, or preoccupation or inquiry).
techie_g, you know exactly what I'm talking about. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Not arguing at all. I don't know what is a 'strong homosexual community', and you didn't bother defining it either, unless I mis-read your post. Again, I'm not arguing with you, the OP is obviously unclear in the question in the first place. Another poster also asked for clarity. I'm not a mind-reader, and certainly don't know what you thinking or intending or intimating.Sorry.
For example, If someone suggests that they live in a 'strong religious' community, it would connote (if not flatly DENOTE), that most if not all of the members in the community endorse certain religious beliefs and axioms. It would also connote that most people are active participants in a kind of 'religion' and might hold some very different values than a purely secular community. Does that mean then, that a 'strong homosexual community' connotes that most of the community are active participants in some brand of homosexuality? or endorse the practice of homosexual acts? Again, a 'strong religious community' supports and believes in practicing a religious life and supports others in that common endeavor/belief system. Perhaps you can understand? You chose this description. I did no such thing.

Last edited by techie_g; 04-08-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
Not arguing at all. I don't know what is a 'strong homosexual community', and you didn't bother defining it either, unless I mis-read your post. Again, I'm not arguing with you, the OP is obviously unclear in the question in the first place. Another poster also asked for clarity. I'm not a mind-reader, and certainly don't know what you thinking or intending or intimating.Sorry.
For example, If someone suggests that they live in a 'strong religious' community, it would connote (if not flatly DENOTE), that most if not all of the members in the community endorse certain religious beliefs and axioms. It would also connote that most people are active participants in a kind of 'religion' and might hold some very different values than a purely secular community. Does that mean then, that a 'strong homosexual community' connotes that most of the community are active participants in some brand of homosexuality? or endorse the practice of homosexual acts? Again, a 'strong religious community' supports and believes in practicing a religious life and supports others in that common endeavor/belief system. Perhaps you can understand? You chose this description. I did no such thing.
Let me attempt to clarify. By strong I meant sizeable.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
OP- I think you got your answer.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
Let me attempt to clarify. By strong I meant sizeable.
I've never equated 'strong', i.e. strength with SIZE....large numbers signify nothing within a community if, for instance, they're all undereducated, or misinformed, right?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Some of these posts are ridiculous.
You want to know what they probably mean by " gay friendly" most likely it means that they won't be harassed by their neighbors or alianated from the community just because of them being gay.
They are not asking for a gay parade, nor are they asking for your acceptance of their lives. They are asking will they be treated cordially and welcome to the community as others would be.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Perhaps the OP's post is ridiculous about Heron Creek. Lots of residents of Heron Creek might not be able to translate what 'homosexual friendly" means. I'm not sure why someone would think that a neighbor would be 'harassed' because of their having their own sexual proclivities, unless they are somehow disturbing the peace and quiet enjoyment of the neighborhood. Most neighbors in Heron Creek are not compelled to "accept" anything, and especially some one else's sexual appetites. They may, or may not be "welcomed" for a variety of legitimate reasons. Just because a neighbor is a homosexual, it doesn't make them desirable or even good neighbors, or even decent human beings. They might be criminals or even low-lifes (just like anybody else moving in). Assuming that everyone is "welcomed" is a foolish assumption and attitude - whether a new neighbor is heterosexual or homosexual. I don't know why Heron Creek or any other community have to be, or should be 'homosexual FRIENDLY'. Neighbors have their own standards and attitudes, and entitled to live as they wish. Respect should be mutual. No one should capitulate their own values for fear of retribution. Similarly no neighbor should be 'harassed'. Also no one should be expected to automatically embrace aspects of life that may conflict with their own morals, values or faith. That would be unreasonable as well. Just leave people alone, and mind your own business. It may be a harsh reality, neighbors are not obliged to be 'homosexual friendly' - whatever that means and/or connotes.....or for that matter "dog or cat friendly"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area