Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 05:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
And how you do know that nobody has been infected by a package??? That's just your "guess". And then there is also risk of infection if people interact with the delivery person. So it's not prudent to be cautious?
My "guess" from the CDC and WHO and all sources of information on the subject.

I admit I didn't ask wondermint...for a regarded opinion.

Also, I am not talking about a delivery person since they do not cough on me. They are carefully putting packages on porches, etc.......

No doubt....if your delivery driver is infected and puts a very large puddle of spittle on your package and then you dip your finger into it and put it in your mouth, you may become infected.

Same goes with food. You are not going to get it - and when I say that I mean "a million or more to one you are not going to get it" from the bakery baguette. Look it up yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
There is no elimination of risk. That is a pipe dream. All anyone can do is minimize exposure. We live in an interdependent society. The best you can do is either live in fear and minimize your risk or you can reject the fear and minimize your risk.

So far, it’s shown itself to be highly contagious in populations where people can’t or won’t minimize their exposure. The populations that do go the extra mile do better. It’s not rocket science.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:45 PM

8,241 posts, read 4,660,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Look it up yourself.
I did. Coronavirus is viable for up to 24 hours on cardboard:
https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/20/sars-...e-on-surfaces/

Quote:
My "guess" from the CDC and WHO and all sources of information on the subject.
Link from the CDC & WHO where they say it's scientifically proven that people can't catch coronavirus from other surfaces such as cardboard?

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-21-2020 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
There is no elimination of risk. That is a pipe dream. All anyone can do is minimize exposure.
Correct! And the point of my post was not to "scare" people. Just to point out facts (supported by links) so people will be careful. They can interpret my posts however they want. I did not post inaccurate information.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
There is no elimination of risk. That is a pipe dream. All anyone can do is minimize exposure. We live in an interdependent society. The best you can do is either live in fear and minimize your risk or you can reject the fear and minimize your risk.

So far, it’s shown itself to be highly contagious in populations where people can’t or won’t minimize their exposure. The populations that do go the extra mile do better. It’s not rocket science.
No doubt and getting deliveries is vastly cleaner than piling up at the register, pushing the shopping cart, opening the doors, etc. at most physical stores.

Some things need to be. For example, there are thousands of seniors around here who get their meals delivered each day....or have caregivers come over to help them in addition.

We have been "doing it" (safety thing) for a full 3 weeks now...but, as you say, one cannot avoid things totally. If they could they would probably go insane anyway......

I can say this. In all my exposures (shopping, volunteer work, walking, biking, etc.) over the last 3 weeks I have not seen a SINGLE person in Sarasota with a mask and gloves...other than perhaps a cashier.

Quick example...and this is going on time 1000X.

I drive the car a week ago for service. Pull up in the service lane:
1. Guy tries to reach in and shake my hand - I refuse.
2. I get out and go into the service room - have to open the door, of course.
3. Watch as person in front of me is instructed to sign her name WITH HER FINGER on the dirty service iPad screen.
4. Decide not to wait there so head to the shopping center across the street. No one wearing any protection.
5. Go into a store and buy something for $2 cash...I'm asked to use my finger on touch pad (even using cash) to say whether I want a receipt or not!

It's hard to believe...as I read it. But it's true. That was March 12th.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post

Link from the CDC & WHO where they say it's scientifically proven that people can't catch coronavirus from other surfaces such as cardboard?
You can look anything up...but for some guidelines....

"there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods"

That's in relation to shipped products from CHINA. It's pretty obvious the CDC knows they are being shipped and delivered. There is obviously less of a chance (up until soon or later) of such from the USA because we didn't have the number of cases when stuff was made and packaged.

One needs to use a bit of common sense here. MANY infected patients have been around 100's of other people and yet the vast majority of those around didn't get it. Some did.....those who likely had droplets sprayed directly onto them.

If it was so easy, Trump would have had it 10X over. He ate with people that had it, flew with people who were exposed. Matt Gaetz handled the phone (for a selfie) from the infected guy at CPAC. How many others at CPAC got it? Zero is what I hear.

That is my point. There is never a zero chance of stuff happening. We may come from alien seeds and a nickel will land on it's edge if you flip it...once in a while

But, in a general sense, package delivery is currently low on the scale of worries..with the basic precautions of not coming face to face with the delivery person (just like not doing it with ANY other person).

As far as food, similar guidelines...CDC:
" its foodborne-driven or food service-driven," Williams said in an information webinar. "This really is respiratory, person-to-person. At this point there is no evidence really pointing us towards food [or] food service as ways that are driving the epidemic."

You can believe it or not. I'm in the "innocent until proven guilty camp" with the CDC. That is, if we start seeing dozens of cases where the infection came from these situation then I will perk up my ears.

If some of the experts are correct many (or most) of us are likely to get this thing. Hopefully testing and mitigating drugs and better treatments will be up the pike to help us out.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You can look anything up...but for some guidelines....

"there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods"

That's in relation to shipped products from CHINA. It's pretty obvious the CDC knows they are being shipped and delivered. There is obviously less of a chance (up until soon or later) of such from the USA because we didn't have the number of cases when stuff was made and packaged.

One needs to use a bit of common sense here. MANY infected patients have been around 100's of other people and yet the vast majority of those around didn't get it. Some did.....those who likely had droplets sprayed directly onto them.

If it was so easy, Trump would have had it 10X over. He ate with people that had it, flew with people who were exposed. Matt Gaetz handled the phone (for a selfie) from the infected guy at CPAC. How many others at CPAC got it? Zero is what I hear.

That is my point. There is never a zero chance of stuff happening. We may come from alien seeds and a nickel will land on it's edge if you flip it...once in a while

But, in a general sense, package delivery is currently low on the scale of worries..with the basic precautions of not coming face to face with the delivery person (just like not doing it with ANY other person).

As far as food, similar guidelines...CDC:
" its foodborne-driven or food service-driven," Williams said in an information webinar. "This really is respiratory, person-to-person. At this point there is no evidence really pointing us towards food [or] food service as ways that are driving the epidemic."

You can believe it or not. I'm in the "innocent until proven guilty camp" with the CDC. That is, if we start seeing dozens of cases where the infection came from these situation then I will perk up my ears.

If some of the experts are correct many (or most) of us are likely to get this thing. Hopefully testing and mitigating drugs and better treatments will be up the pike to help us out.
If you read my posts carefully - I never said that people are "likely to get coronavirus from packages". On the other hand it's not scientifically proven that people can't. I merely pointed out that according to the NY Times there are many sick delivery drivers - and according to the New England Journal of Medicine, coronavirus is viable on cardboard for up to 24 hours. All I did was state a couple of facts - people can read my links (if they choose) and draw their own inferences and safety protocols. Nonetheless I thought it was useful information that some might find of value.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Isn't a condo higher risk because you have shared elevators and shared entrance/exits. Plus common areas that can have other people, which increases risk of spread.
RE: condominium and apartment communities

Yes, I manage associations and I live in a condominium - communities have been asked to shut down all common areas which include but are not limited to clubhouse, pool, gym.

Until you start to think about how many people touch those door handles, buttons & equipment and/or have to touch them yourself, the magnitude of transmission by hands becomes overwhelming.

I also have a pt job in retail which corporate shut down Wednesday; the amount of people who touch items or try on clothes is overwhelming as well. The people I saw in the store with their fingers all over objects as well as their own faces - overwhelming. As this virus can live on surfaces, here comes another form of transmission even if you haven't got on a plane. We've been told it can be found in the air if you walk though where someone sneezed or coughed, another reason to stay home unless you need groceries. It's time to take off your shoes & remove your clothes upon entering your home as a secondary form of transmission.

Please don't come to Florida, you have the possibility of bringing the virus from any stops you might make along the way.

Waiting to hear when they close the borders and airports...

Last edited by Ladywithafan; 03-22-2020 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: additional info.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:08 PM

DeSantis considers new strategy in Florida coronavirus fight: isolation shelters
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"Tallahassee

As Florida’s confirmed coronavirus cases climbed toward 800 on Saturday, Gov. Ron DeSantis said he’s considering his most drastic move yet: Moving certain people at risk to isolation shelters.

DeSantis said his administration might put those who test positive for COVID-19 or show symptoms of the disease in shelters, such as abandoned convention centers or hotels, to prevent them from returning home and infecting those they live with.

It would be a dramatic change in strategy toward combating the spread of coronavirus, which has killed a dozen people in Florida."

Old 03-22-2020, 04:28 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default Lockdown coming to Florida?

Ohio will be locked down as of Tuesday. Ohio's hospitalizations adjusted for population are slightly less than in Florida, but Ohio hospitalizations are growing more rapidly (it's possible that Ohio is admitting more patients with less severe conditions as Ohio has expanded Medicaid and Florida does not). Deaths adjusted for population are much higher in Florida, but death totals in both states (3 and 13) are inconsequential compared to likely levels in 2-4 weeks.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/medicaid/

The Ohio lockdown seemingly will close most non-essential retail and non-emergency doctor appointments and non-essential medical testing (these last two items seem remarkable if closed given what remains open). It will result in another significant hit to the Ohio economy. Many day care centers will be closed.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2020/...ronavirus.html

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...ome-order.html

Floridians perhaps should prepare for a similar lockdown in coming days and weeks. Gardeners buy your supplies now! Unfortunately, plants are not yet available in most Ohio garden centers as the beginning of planting season is one week away.

Florida's media apparently is increasingly targeting FL Gov. Ron DeSantis for inadequate action in the current epidemic.

BTW, what was this about? Strange in the midst of the worse national healthcare crisis in a century and when first responders and healthcare workers increasingly are at personal risk, as are their families, due to inadequate personal protection equipment. Shortages of testing supplies, ventilators, and even hospital rooms increasingly threaten the nation's ability to respond to this crisis.

<<Friday, DeSantis mounted the bully pulpit to present House Speaker Jose Oliva, with a baseball bat inscribed with the words “Slayer of the healthcare industrial complex.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/...241403236.html

If COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths in Florida begin their expected exponential rise, it would seem inevitable that Florida also will impose a lockdown on its citizens. Floridians should prepare for this event.

The nation's ability to deal with this crisis would increase immeasurably IF we could rapidly increase testing. E.g., we could allow medical personnel who test negatively to continue wellness visits with patients who have tested negatively within a few days, IF wellness visits, like dental appointments, cancer treatment, etc., are banned during lockdowns. Wellness visits are extremely important to the nation's health.

I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor for late June tomorrow in the event that my early April appointment is cancelled.

Anyway, travel between Florida and Ohio, a subject recently in this thread, may be increasingly difficult.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-22-2020 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area