Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 07:47 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
...I don't know how much longer I can hold my wife back from going to the condo in SRQ.

Isn't a condo higher risk because you have shared elevators and shared entrance/exits. Plus common areas that can have other people, which increases risk of spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 07:51 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Isn't a condo higher risk because you have shared elevators and shared entrance/exits. Plus common areas that can have other people, which increases risk of spread.
We have a single house here - I think you are correct in that a condo is the last place I'd want to be if it had common areas that you MUST traverse.

But many condos are just townhouses and the like....where most everything is separate.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:53 AM

30,450 posts, read 21,289,763 times
We are baking away in mid and upper 80's and it won't slow it down.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:29 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Our condo is more like a townhouse with an outside entrance. But that being said, while we would not have to encounter others, as all common areas are closed - we would be living much closer to others in the condo.

I think the thing I find most frustrating is the lack of reliable information. It seems as if the federal government is nowhere to be found and this pandemic is being handle almost entirely by the governors, which results in inconsistent policies.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 AM

137 posts, read 249,382 times
I live in a condo in Tampa, 4 stories.
Just using the elevator is scary. Most of the time it is loaded with other people like sardines.
Not a lot of room. Same with the parking area, trash room, exit doors etc.
All very disconcerting. I try to do all Stoff late at night unfortunately grocery shopping is not one it.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:31 AM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
SFH here at our EscapeWinterHouse and, at our Mtn Home back in western NC, so no problem.

For the Condo people, why not take the stairs, if mobile. Good exercise, only doing once or twice a day, etc.
I would skip the elevators.
GL, mD

Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM

8,366 posts, read 4,681,309 times
For those of you that feel safer ordering supplies/groceries online for delivery - be careful.

As reported by the NY Times:

‘Terrified’ Package Delivery Employees Are Going to Work Sick
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

** Truckers and warehouse workers at UPS and FedEx feel they have no choice but to keep showing up, even with coronavirus-like symptoms.

Hour after hour, day after day, the packages keep arriving: food, medicine, clothes, toys and a million other items brought to the doorsteps and building lobbies of Americans who are hunkering down as the coronavirus sweeps the land.

An increasing number of the workers sorting those boxes, loading them into trucks and then transporting and delivering them around the country have fallen sick. **

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-21-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 01:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
For those of you that feel safer ordering supplies/groceries online for delivery - be careful.

As reported by the NY Times:

‘Terrified’ Package Delivery Employees Are Going to Work Sick
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

** Truckers and warehouse workers at UPS and FedEx feel they have no choice but to keep showing up, even with coronavirus-like symptoms.

Hour after hour, day after day, the packages keep arriving: food, medicine, clothes, toys and a million other items brought to the doorsteps and building lobbies of Americans who are hunkering down as the coronavirus sweeps the land.

An increasing number of the workers sorting those boxes, loading them into trucks and then transporting and delivering them around the country have fallen sick. **
I'm sure they have always gone to work sick.

AND, there is not yet a single case of a person being infected by a package or the contents.....

The thing about science is that fear itself and our own projections don't mean much.

When we find out a couple dozen or more certified cases are traced to a package then we can think about it. Until then I'll go with the basics.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM

8,366 posts, read 4,681,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm sure they have always gone to work sick.

AND, there is not yet a single case of a person being infected by a package or the contents.....

The thing about science is that fear itself and our own projections don't mean much.

When we find out a couple dozen or more certified cases are traced to a package then we can think about it. Until then I'll go with the basics.
And how you do know that nobody has been infected by a package??? That's just your "guess". And then there is also risk of infection if people interact with the delivery person. So it's not prudent to be cautious?

HOW LONG CAN COVID-19 LIVE ON SURFACES?
https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/20/sars-...e-on-surfaces/

** According to a recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can live in the air and on surfaces between several hours and several days. The study found that the virus is viable for up to 72 hours on plastics, 48 hours on stainless steel, 24 hours on cardboard, and 4 hours on copper. It is also detectable in the air for three hours. **

Old 03-21-2020, 03:16 PM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Wow, a local hospital asking residents to donate MASKS:

MASK DONATIONS NEEDED FOR OUR MEDICAL WORKERS

Dear Lakewood Ranch Residents and Neighbors,

Our home hospital, Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, is in need of N-95 masks, or any healthcare or construction-grade masks. Please help us support our frontline medical professionals! Perhaps you have N-95 masks in your garage or home that you could donate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area