Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 12:14 PM

8,342 posts, read 4,681,309 times

Advertisements

Do you think Florida should close it's bars and restaurants as New York has done? If it happens it would be an economic disaster for this area (especially during the height of snowbird season). On the other hand - there are many seniors in this area that are more at risk to coronavirus. And with restaurants remaining open the spread of the virus will likely continue..

Coronavirus Florida: Could state close bars and restaurants?
https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...nd-restaurants

** Gov. Ron DeSantis said he is waiting for guidance from CDC on what restrictions to place on bars and restaurants to limit the spread of coronavirus and COVID-19.

At least eight states, big cities such as Los Angeles and New York and a number of countries have now closed bars and restaurants to try to contain the spread of coronavirus, raising the question of whether Florida will follow in their footsteps. **
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 01:31 PM

105 posts, read 146,537 times
Yes and probably very shortly (24-48) hours.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:38 PM

563 posts, read 552,206 times
People > Money

Old 03-16-2020, 01:47 PM

I live right next door a small plaza with 2 restaurants. Judging by the amount of cars in their parking lot - I'd say that currently their business is only down a small amount - and seems to be holding up fairly well. Which is kind of surprising to me. But yes safety comes first. I read that Florida could try and keep restaurants open - but instill various safety measures. Such as operating at only 50% capacity, distance from tables, etc.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:50 PM

4,621 posts, read 7,545,116 times
Sweet Tomatoes restaurants are closing nationally until further notice, which includes the one at University Parkway and the one in Sarasota.

I would not be surprised if other chain restaurants soon follow.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Well today Trump has issued "guidelines" that he wants/hopes people will follow for the next fifteen days. He urged people to stay away from restaurants/bars. However in spite of this - right now the parking lot in the restaurant across the street from me is nearly packed! Looks like maybe they're hosting a party. Unfortunately unless these guidelines become "mandatory" - I doubt they will have the desired effect in this area.....

'This is a very bad one': Trump issues new guidelines to stem coronavirus spread
The president recommended avoiding gatherings of more than 10 people and also urged Americans to avoid eating and drinking at bars and restaurants.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-people-132323

“We have an invisible enemy,” the president said at a news conference, where he released guidelines that called for people to avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 people and to steer clear of eating and drinking at bars, restaurants and food courts.

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-16-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 04:33 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
The goal is to “flatten the curve” to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system. If you haven’t already seen it, this is a great explanation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Old 03-16-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The goal is to “flatten the curve” to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system. If you haven’t already seen it, this is a great explanation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
So do you think these "guidelines" Trump announced today will have much effect in this area if they're not made "manadatory"? I dunno this might seem cynical but from what I've seen a lot of snowbirds are not willing to curb their dining activities and a lot of restaurants not wanting to forego $$$ profits.....

Old 03-16-2020, 05:28 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
So do you think these "guidelines" Trump announced today will have much effect in this area if they're not made "manadatory"? I dunno this might seem cynical but from what I've seen a lot of snowbirds are not willing to curb their dining activities and a lot of restaurants not wanting to forego $$$ profits.....
I don’t know what is right in this case. Statistically viewed, mandatory lockdowns by the federal authority seems like over kill but, OTOH, articles like the one I posted, clearly demonstrate the need for overkill now rather than catch-up later. I think the guidelines are really intended to give the states political cover for doing what’s right while preserving state sovereignty. To answer your question, though, I don’t trust that all people will view the seriousness of a highly contagious virus appropriately. If what we’ve been told is accurate, these reckless people endanger all of us, as they always do.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:54 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,840,301 times
I know as fact, that a person who had been told to quarrantine themselves for 14 days (after returning from a cruise) did not.

This person was seen at a community swimming pool just days after returning from the cruise.

Some people will not do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area