Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 29,047 times

Advertisements

My family and I decided to take a job in Savannah and we are trying to get an idea of affordable living with decent size homes and good public schools. I have read other forums which mentioned Pooler, Richmond Hills, Guyton, South Effingham, Effingham County, and Rincon. Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
A lot will depend on what your idea of "affordable" and "decent size" is. That could include many, many pieces of property. Do you want a big yard? Lots of neighbors? Close to certain churches? Elementary school or High Schools? Walk to school or a loooongg ride on the school bus?

A lot should depend on where the new job will be. There are many areas where you really wouldn't want to commute from the places that you mentioned, nor are all areas of those places good to live in.

Last edited by Padgett2; 07-08-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 PM

Default Updated Info

We would like at least a 2200sf house with a yard possibly in a community with a pool, playground, etc. Although depending on the setup of the house, maybe even 1900sf. The yard is always difficult, big enough to let a dog run. And we want a safe neighborhood with families and kids.

The public schools are probably most important. I would like to be in a good elementary school that will hopefully feed into a decent middle and high school.

The commute time doesn't matter since I have a travelling job; however, we would like to be close to the necessities (Target, grocery, Home Depot, etc.) instead of having to drive two towns away.

Are there any shopping malls in the area? Also, since there are no professional sports in the area, are there minor league sports or good college sports.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Also, is homeowners insurance expensive beacause of hurricanes? Or are hurricanes not a big deal in the area?

How are property taxes?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
That size house in a good neighborhood will be easy to find. There are two large Malls in the area and many smaller shopping centers. Supermarkets all over the place. Also, all of the big box stores and Target.

There is a minor league baseball team, the Savannah Sand Gnats, that are in the South Atlantic League. Also, a very active softball and baseball programs sponsored by various churches, clubs, and YMCAs for all ages and both sexes.

If you are interested in sports for your children, think about the Wilmington/Whitmarsh/Talahi Island areas. The Islands YMCA (I think they have a web site) and Chatham County programs are great. The Y also has sdult programs and an excellent exercise room.

The schools are good too. Very family oriented. Prices will run from the low 100,000s to multi-million for water front property. Close to the beach, plenty of shopping. Anything you could possibly want is in that area.....well, there's no cemetery. There's a funeral home, but if you need burial, they have to carry you across the bridges into Savannah. Otherwise you never have to cross the bridges.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Anything you could possibly want is in that area.....well, there's no cemetery. There's a funeral home, but if you need burial, they have to carry you across the bridges into Savannah. Otherwise you never have to cross the bridges.
Funny observation. Hopefully this will not be necessary anytime soon for any of us.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Chatham Emergency Management Agency
http://www.chathamemergency.org/asse...e%20Map-37.php

Savannah-Chatham County Public schools offer many open enrollment Specialty Program Schools
Magnet and Charter

Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools (http://www.sccpss.com/District/Academic+Affairs/Academies+%28Magnet%29/secondary2.htm - broken link)
Savannah Arts Academy: Best High Schools - USNews.com
Coastal Empire Montessori Charter School
Georgia Tech Savannah: Home
Denied:1up! Software ()
http://site.westchathamprepacademy.com/

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
That size house in a good neighborhood will be easy to find. There are two large Malls in the area and many smaller shopping centers. Supermarkets all over the place. Also, all of the big box stores and Target.

There is a minor league baseball team, the Savannah Sand Gnats, that are in the South Atlantic League. Also, a very active softball and baseball programs sponsored by various churches, clubs, and YMCAs for all ages and both sexes.

If you are interested in sports for your children, think about the Wilmington/Whitmarsh/Talahi Island areas. The Islands YMCA (I think they have a web site) and Chatham County programs are great. The Y also has sdult programs and an excellent exercise room.

The schools are good too. Very family oriented. Prices will run from the low 100,000s to multi-million for water front property. Close to the beach, plenty of shopping. Anything you could possibly want is in that area.....well, there's no cemetery. There's a funeral home, but if you need burial, they have to carry you across the bridges into Savannah. Otherwise you never have to cross the bridges.
Thanks for the information. We looked at housing on Wilmington Island and it doesn't seem like you can get as big of a home or as new, although the schools at least seemed to be good thorugh middle school.

Can I get some recommendations for cities if we want to stay to the West or SW of Savannah. I heard schools are fairly good. It seems like the high schools are the ones to worry about. We would like a newer home or new construction so we don't have to do any updates to it right away. And it would nice to be in a community or subdivision that has a pool, playground. Are property taxes higher in Savannah then for example North Carolina. I heard property taxes and insurance are very low in Charlotte. How does Savannah compare?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious1234 View Post
I heard property taxes and insurance are very low in Charlotte. How does Savannah compare?
Chatham County
Board of Assessors Welcome Page
http://www.chathamcounty.org/boa_facts.pdf

Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up Just being Blunt now

OK so I am getting some great advice from you all. THank you. I do need to be more blunt though and hopefully will get some more direct answers.

I do not need the perfect world but Here is what I am looking for:

SAFETY! A good safe neighborhood for a white 30 year old couple with two children 10 and 5. I dont mind some culture in my neighbors though and as a matter of fact I enjoy it. As long as they are responsible hard working adults like ourselves.

Would like newer homes in a community type setting with an association, Pool, Park etc.

close to Savannah or in SAvannah.

a little diversity is fine but I do not want gang problems or too many punks running the streets. I do not want to see people working on their cars in the street, I wantgto go walking at 5 am and 9 pm without worries, I want to play with my kids all night in my front yard without worries. I want to be close to a target, wal mart, movies, dining etc.

would like to be around younger families like ourselves.
would like to be around activities and social events.

I am also wondering how much property taxes are $ per Value, we are looking at homes around $200,000 wondering what to expect to pay for property taxes.

DO we pay automobile taxes every year or just once then registration each year for new tags?

IS there state income tax in Geogia?

We are looking at Pooler, is this a good town?

other than POoler and the Whitmarsh and Willmington areas are there any areas downtown that are fun and safe?

Blunt answers would be greatly appreciated, I can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area