Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
jtur88 is right, the problem is written in poor fashion. It is intentionally written to be vague and cause confusion. Nobody with a strong background in math would have ever written the expression that way. That is what parentheses, brackets and braces are used for...to provide clarity on how the problem was intended to be interpreted.
It wasn't vague, confusing, or ambiguous for Excel, Matlab, and Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It wasn't vague, confusing, or ambiguous for Excel, Matlab, and Google.
They're programmed to work in a certain way.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Exactly.
Depending on how you set the calculator.
Both ways are correct. It can be interpreted in either of the ways you showed up there.
No because the order of operation are set...
You can change the rule of algebra just because you dont like it...
I posted a link of the order of

After this I hope this subject would be finish..
Source: Order of Operations
Quote:
Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses. Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right. Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right

U can search any source you want online or your text books, they all say is left to right... Unless you can find me a link that say otherwise I dont see the point to continue with this subject.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:11 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,247 times

Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They're programmed to work in a certain way.
They are program by the rules of algebra, you are right.
Case closed...

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Apparently some are not.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Apparently, this is a semantic difference in the way the symbols were used when they were first introduced and the way ÷ is commonly used today. I thought this was an interesting find:

Arguing Semantics: the obelus, or division symbol: ÷*|*Matthew Compher

Old 05-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Apparently some are not.
No, you have to change your calculator as a scientific, i search the subject and if you use a regular calculator the calculator goes step by step that you enter it, you must change the calculator to scientific mode...
The problem is not necessarily with the calculator but the entry mode that you used.

Source: Order of operations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Different calculators follow different orders of operations. Most non-scientific calculators without a stack work left to right without any priority given to different operators, for example giving
while more sophisticated calculators will use a more standard priority, for example giving
Here are the difference:

On a formula calculator one types in an expression and then presses 'Enter' to evaluate the expression.[1][2][3] There are various systems for typing in an expression: infix, postfix, natural display etc.
On an immediate execution calculator, the user presses a key for each operation, by pressing keys to calculate all the intermediate results, before the final value is shown.
You must put formula, if not the calculator just follow your input and not the rule of algebra.

Again, I have paste the rules of algebra,, have you read them??
If after reading them and you still dont understand the left to right rule, then I dont understand why continue on the subject..
Again just do a search of order of operations and that is it...
I wont continue on this subject, is like fighting over if the sky is blue after i have shown you that it is blue but you continue saying is red...

What else can I do...

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Apparently, this is a semantic difference in the way the symbols were used when they were first introduced and the way ÷ is commonly used today. I thought this was an interesting find:

Arguing Semantics: the obelus, or division symbol: ÷*|*Matthew Compher
It doesnt matter, there is not difference, using / you will still get the same result...
48/2(9+3) = 288

Old 05-22-2011, 12:42 PM

48 over 2(9+3)

You solve the denominator first then divide the numerator by it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology