Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 03:36 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Because 48 would become a numerator and the rest after the division sign would become a denominator.

What is in the numerator is done separately from the denominator and vice versa, then you divide the results by each other

2/1(1+1) = 1

Not 4 as it would be using your method
You have an error... where in the rules of algebra say that everything after a / is all denominator... if you can find that on google let me know, but since you have not even search anything on the subject why would you start now..

so in your point of view, this is the same

3*2*1/3*2*1 is the same as (3*2*1)/(3*2*1)???
Since everything in front of / is the numerator and everything behind it is the denominator???

3*2*1/3*2*1 is
6*1/3*2*1
6/3*2*1
2*2*1
4*1
But since you decide to make new rules and we now have a new math science called arbegla, then I guess the rules are everything on the right side of / is the numerator and everything on the left of / is the denominator... Also we go right to left, instead of left to right...
so this would be in arbegla...
3*2*1/3*2*1
3*2*1/3*2
3*2*1/6 here we finish with the denominator... now we do the numerator
6*1/6
6/6
Now can you see the error of your new rules???
Or you still dont see it?
is 3*2*1/3*2*1= 1 or 4?
Also we are asking in algebra and not in arbegla...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Because 48 would become a numerator and the rest after the division sign would become a denominator.

What is in the numerator is done separately from the denominator and vice versa, then you divide the results by each other

2/1(1+1) = 1

Not 4 as it would be using your method
2/1(1+1) is NOT 1 in algebra...
2/1(2)
2(2)= 4
WHY you continue to ignore the rule of left to right... is a simple rule....
If you want it to be 1,,,
2/(1(1+1)), this is 1
Because /(1(1+1) means that everything is a denominator, but /1(1+1), means that only 1 is the denominator and then there is a *
You keep forgetting that ( means multiplication, so 2(2) means 2*2
so the equation is 2/1*(1+1), now if you see this why, do you still think that everything is a denominator?? is just because we add * changes things?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
I am an accountant, so most of them have taken algebra in college and calculus, but that doesn't matter, the problem here is simple..
Is a visual problem, where your mind wants to see something that goes against the rules...
This is more of a mental and visual problem then an math problem...
Here you have to teach your mind to follow the rules VS follow what your brain tells you. In other words, is a perception problem..
Why do the overwhelming majority of people, and we're talking technical people here, think it is 2 and not 288? Why does your mind want to see it wrong as you wrote above? It isn't easier to see 2 so it isn't a response driven by laziness. Why does everyone say 2? Smart, educated, technical people. The only people who say 288 are people like school teachers who are teaching the PEMDAS and absolutely have to be familiar with the rules and order of operations and the elementary mathematics (my 6th grader said 288 but my vanpool buddy, U of Michigan PhD Math, said 2).

I know 288 is correct - but we're approaching 100 posts here on something that 6th graders know. What the heck is going on here?

Why?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:30 PM

385 posts, read 858,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why do the overwhelming majority of people, and we're talking technical people here, think it is 2 and not 288? Why does your mind want to see it wrong as you wrote above? It isn't easier to see 2 so it isn't a response driven by laziness. Why does everyone say 2? Smart, educated, technical people. The only people who say 288 are people like school teachers who are teaching the PEMDAS and absolutely have to be familiar with the rules and order of operations and the elementary mathematics (my 6th grader said 288 but my vanpool buddy, U of Michigan PhD Math, said 2).

I know 288 is correct - but we're approaching 100 posts here on something that 6th graders know. What the heck is going on here?

Why?
I'm with you, 288 and with your other comment

Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:

Why?
I think there's a lot of highly educated people on here who agree that it's 288. I'm no teacher or 6th grader, and still know it's 288.

Math isn't for everyone, I guess.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Why?
i have no idea, i know it because I remember the 3 golden rules of algebra...
We dont use algebra that much, some people dont use it at all...
So is easy to forget the rules and do the equation the way they think is the correct way.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Apparently, this is a semantic difference in the way the symbols were used when they were first introduced and the way ÷ is commonly used today. I thought this was an interesting find:

Arguing Semantics: the obelus, or division symbol: ÷*|*Matthew Compher

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
It doesnt matter, there is not difference, using / you will still get the same result...
48/2(9+3) = 288
If you actually go to the referenced algebra text, on p. 76, you will see that the author defines the obelus differently. The text is Teutsche Algebra By Johann H. Rahn published in 1659 and is apparently the first known use of the obelus symbol for division. On that page he gives this:

The example he gives is T ÷ GG + 1 = T/(GG+1) I can't do it the way it was done in the book here, but look at the URL for yourself and at the book.

Teutsche Algebra - Google Books

You have to go to page 76 to see the actual text.

While I agree that in modern day algebra, there is no ambiguity and the answer is 288, apparently the symbol was used differently at one time before the current order of operations was established.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Page 76 for reference. (from Teutsche Algebra - Google Books)

Old 05-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Apparently, this is a semantic difference in the way the symbols were used when they were first introduced and the way ÷ is commonly used today. I thought this was an interesting find:

Arguing Semantics: the obelus, or division symbol: ÷*|*Matthew Compher

If you actually go to the referenced algebra text, on p. 76, you will see that the author defines the obelus differently. The text is Teutsche Algebra By Johann H. Rahn published in 1659 and is apparently the first known use of the obelus symbol for division. On that page he gives this:

The example he gives is T ÷ GG + 1 = T/(GG+1)
I don't see what you are talking about. Do you mean this?

Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't see what you are talking about. Do you mean this?
I was to post the same thing, since nothing in the page makes sense..
If we follow the page like that, that means:
what is on one side of the page has nothing to do with the other side...
unless for some weird reason 4*4 is the same thing then 4aabb.
And since when 7 is equal as T???
Sorry try again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology