Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

This looks like a interesting new film coming out about the singularity. I hope its as good as it looks.

Sci-fi films have a long history of speculating what the future might be like, seeking to understand what remnants of humanity will continue on when the world may undergo drastic change. More realistic projections focus on a pivotal period in the future, known as the Singularity, when technological growth will be so rapid and impact the world so deeply that human life will be transformed irreversibly. By definition, it’s difficult to envision what that will look like, but how will things look right on the cusp of that key time in human history?

That question is at the heart of a feature film in production called I’s. The film begins as the first artificial intelligence “wakes up”, and it follows a bike messenger named Mason Turk who must make a critical, personal choice in the face of the last days of “civilization as we know it.” Currently in post-production, writer/director Chris Edgette recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to take some of the technical aspects of the film to the next level. Via email, Chris provided some further insight into what those funds will accomplish.

The link: What Will Happen 5 Days Before The Singularity? “I’s” Feature Film Aims To Find Out | Singularity Hub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Exclamation A look into the mind-bending Google Glass of 2029

I happen to see this and I think this is why I say the singularity will start in 2030. That is only 17 years away and I am so excited.

This is from CNET:

How far-fetched is it, really, to go from today's Google Glass to nanobots communicating between your brain and a Google cloud that is indistinguishable from a human?

When Google Glass made its first public appearance on April 4, 2012, it signaled the beginning of a new era of computing. Consider the precedent: In the span of half a decade, the computer moved from the desktop to the pocket, and now with Glass it is moving to the head, on its way to eventually integrating itself inside the human body.

The link: A look into the mind-bending Google Glass of 2029 | Cutting Edge - CNET News

Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Exclamation Mending a Broken Heart? Scientists Transform Non-Beating Human Cells Into Heart-Muscle Cells

Some more good news for regenerative therapy.

This is from Science Daily:

Aug. 22, 2013 — In the aftermath of a heart attack, cells within the region most affected shut down. They stop beating. And they become entombed in scar tissue. But now, scientists at the Gladstone Institutes have demonstrated that this damage need not be permanent -- by finding a way to transform the class of cells that form human scar tissue into those that closely resemble beating heart cells.

The link: Mending a broken heart? Scientists transform non-beating human cells into heart-muscle cells

Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
I sort of gather that quantum computers may be an important part (though not necessarily) to move forward to the tehnological singularity. I think it's reasonable that computers would have to be fast enough to exponentially exceed the working and intelligence of the human brain. Quantum computers could possibly do that. If quantum computers would play an essential part in moving forward to achieve the singularity, then it might take a little longer to get there.

That said, here's an interesting video that was posted today featuring Lawrence Krauss on the subject of quantum computing.

Lawrence Krauss: Quantum Computing Explained - YouTube

Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Maybe the quantum computer is the next paradigm after the 3D self organizing molecular structures. If that is the case we will have reached the singularity years before we have quantum computers.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Default Movers & Shakers: Ray Kurzweil — A Restless Genius

I read a good article on Ray Kurzweil today so I thought I would post it here.

This is from mobiledia:

By all accounts, Ray Kurzweil is a genius — a “restless genius,” according to the Wall Street Journal. Forbes called him the “ultimate thinking machine,” while PBS picked him as one of 16 “Revolutionaries Who Made America” — a list that included legends like Thomas Edison and Henry Ford. You know those names every time you flick on a light or jump into a car, but despite helping the blind to read, transforming music and contributing major ideas to the field of artificial intelligence, he doesn’t yet stand out among the Pantheon of inventors.

This is the part that has me excited for the late 2020's and 2030's.

“By the 2030s, we’ll be putting millions of nanobots inside our bodies to augment our immune system, to basically wipe out disease,” he told the New York Times. The nanobots — about the size of blood cells — will be used in ways we have yet to imagine.

The link: Movers & Shakers: Ray Kurzweil — A Restless Genius | Mobiledia

Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 PM

I happen to see this film from 1960 on computers and even they understood how important computers are and how life is going faster and faster and how computers will play a major role.

That got me thinking on how to better explain the singularity. The 1960's was a very modern decade and its obvious by looking at this video and things we know happened. For example thanks to computers and their ability to process thousands of bits of information every second we went to the moon. Now fast forward to 2028, only 15 years from now, and computers the size of blood cells will have more processing capability then the computers that ran NASA in the 1960's. That will allow us to have millions if not billions of them in us augmenting our immune system and neurons. Think about the implications of that as it applies to health and medicine and intelligence. Disease will be wiped out and we will all be more intelligent then any test today can try to show. That is just part of it and honestly its hard to know the total impact it will have on society and we are not talking some distance future possibility but what will happen in the next decade. That will be here before we know it.

This is from youtube. I like how it starts as they totally got it that society was moving fast then and will only get faster.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-28-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Talking Regrowing human body parts: The dream comes within reach

I always talk about some aspects of medicine advancing exponentially and now it looks like more people in the medical community are starting to see that as well. This is why I predict the 2030 will be the singularity.

This is from NBC News:

For centuries, humans have dreamt of the day when we could grow new body parts to replace the ones we lost, just like salamanders that can sprout new limbs. Now researchers are actually finding ways to turn those dreams into reality.
Sometime in the next few decades, humans may be able to regrow a finger here, a toe there – and maybe even fresh patches of beating heart tissue. Human hearts are among the most promising targets: "Fifteen years ago we would have said 50 years, but it could be as soon as 10 years from now," Ken Poss, a cell biologist at Duke University, told NBC News.

The link: Regrowing human body parts: The dream comes within reach - NBC News.com

Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 PM

531 posts, read 758,727 times
In order to process big data, we need to grow neurons constantly.
In order to grow neurons, we need good protein which wipe out 90% of the earth population.
In order to process big data, we need big data(absorb mass information). This wipes out 99% of the population.
In order to process big data, our brains have to be wired to process it and get good result. This wipes out 99.9~9% of population.
People ofthen called something like 6th sense, premonition, foresight, inspiration idea....
It is the brain's power/ability to process big data and give you the good result.
This is not something we can train or gain or brainwashed...
I believe it is in one's gene. There are a lot of this kind of genes out there without right environment.
With Internet and good food, I can see our science and technolgy will be advanced in light speed.

I imagine our offsprings will be living in space and visitng Earth for vacation purpose.
They will be able to convert mass to energy and energy to mass with ease.
So all mass in the space will be just sources of energy.
They will be able to travel to all corners of universe freely w/ or w/o FTL.
They will visit star systems just for fun/curiosity/mass(energy)/research/big data...
Yes, most of them will stick with their god(s) and left nehind.
While traveling, the evolution is still running and left behind tail of god people in various places.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
In order to process big data, we need to grow neurons constantly.
In order to grow neurons, we need good protein which wipe out 90% of the earth population.
In order to process big data, we need big data(absorb mass information). This wipes out 99% of the population.
In order to process big data, our brains have to be wired to process it and get good result. This wipes out 99.9~9% of population.
People ofthen called something like 6th sense, premonition, foresight, inspiration idea....
It is the brain's power/ability to process big data and give you the good result.
This is not something we can train or gain or brainwashed...
I believe it is in one's gene. There are a lot of this kind of genes out there without right environment.
With Internet and good food, I can see our science and technolgy will be advanced in light speed.

I imagine our offsprings will be living in space and visitng Earth for vacation purpose.
They will be able to convert mass to energy and energy to mass with ease.
So all mass in the space will be just sources of energy.
They will be able to travel to all corners of universe freely w/ or w/o FTL.
They will visit star systems just for fun/curiosity/mass(energy)/research/big data...
Yes, most of them will stick with their god(s) and left nehind.
While traveling, the evolution is still running and left behind tail of god people in various places.
You are not taking into account that information technology advances exponentially. Because of that around 2028 computers the size of blood cells will have more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's and we will have millions if not billions in us. The implications of that are not fully understood but we do know it will:

1) Boost our immune system effectively wiping out all disease

2) Boost our cognitive ability making us thousands of times more intelligent then we are today.

Then you add that to what is going on with genetics and biology we will get to live for a very long time possibly forever. So we will travel the universe but it wont be the next generation but ours.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-31-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology