Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 05:22 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times

Advertisements

I saw this episode on Modern Marvels on the history of computers. I believe it was first aired on December 29, 2004. It was interesting but nothing I really did not know and I was not going to post it here till I got to the end of the show. At about 39 minutes into the show they talk about 3D self organizing molecular structures and how they will actually work. Since I have been asked to show as much information on this I thought I would post the episode. It, also, has a much younger Ray Kurzweil talking about the future of computers.

In my opinion this is one more example how the industry is working on the next paradigm in plenty of time to allow us a smooth transition from the current one, the integrated circuit to the 3D self organizing molecular circuit, sometime in the 2020's.

The show:

Note: In it Ray makes a reference to computers in glasses in about 10 years. Well it looks like Google will be coming out with Google Glasses either the end of this year or the start of next. 10 years after this program aired.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-27-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Exclamation Lab Grown Retinal Cells Implanted Into Blind Mice – And They Work

This is more proof that what we will be have by the 2020's will make that a fun and exciting decade and why I call it the pre-singularity.

This is from Singularity Hub:

What if we could reverse degenerative forms of blindness with but an injection of new cells? Stem cell therapies—still promising, if not particularly speedy in their development—may someday do just that. A recent paper in the journal Nature Biotechnology documents the successful implantation of photoreceptors, grown from embryonic stem cells, into the retinas of night-blind mice.

A team of researchers at UCL Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, led by Professor Robin Ali, obtained the photoreceptors from a “synthetic retina” grown in a lab dish using a new 3D cell culturing technique recently developed in Japan. The method more closely mimics the natural process of retinal growth in embryos, and allows researchers to better control the process of cell selection and extraction.

The link: Lab Grown Retinal Cells Implanted Into Blind Mice – And They Work | Singularity Hub

Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Two more good stories on the driverless car.

First the NTSB wants to roll out part of the system that talks to each other sooner.

This is from NBC:

Federal safety authorities Tuesday called for all U.S. cars, trucks and buses to come equipped with technology that would allow them to "talk" to one another to help avoid accidents.

The proposal was one of three the National Transportation Safety Board made Tuesday in its investigation of two school bus accidents last year. The main focus was an accident near Chesterfield, N.J., that killed an 11-year-old girl, but the board also looked at evidence from a similar accident in Port St. Lucie, Fla., that also killed a student. In both accidents, the school buses collided with trucks at intersections.

The link: NTSB calls for wireless technology to let all vehicles 'talk' to each other - U.S. News

This article talks about how life might be changed with the driverless car:

Self-driving cars will set off an economic and cultural earthquake

From the romance of the road trip to the feeling of getting your driver’s license, the car has always conjured images of freedom and control. Those time-worn ideals, however, may soon be a relic of the past.

The car that drives itself is no longer some dream of fiction like the Batmobile or Knight Rider’s KITT. Instead, the technology like that from Google is not only almost here, self-driving cars are now legal in three American states – including all-important California – and recently, the U.K., too.

The link: Self-driving cars will set off an economic and cultural earthquake - The Globe and Mail

Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM

This is just more proof of the impending singularity and why I say it will effectively start by 2030.

This is from Fox News:

Bringing the dead back to life may soon be a medical reality, with claims people may be able to be resuscitated up to 24 hours after their death.

Critical care physician Sam Parnia makes the claim in his book Erasing Death, saying resuscitation research is on the cusp of a major breakthrough within the next 20 years.

The link: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...#ixzz2ajgnD0R6

This is from NPR on the book Erasing Death.

The link: 'Erasing Death' Explores The Science Of Resuscitation : NPR

Note: Some of this conversation gets more into the philosophical discussion on death. However I do think that in time, after the singularity, we will find out with 100% certainty what happens after we die. Then I think we can make a informed decision on rather we want to live forever or not.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-01-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is more proof that what we will be have by the 2020's will make that a fun and exciting decade and why I call it the pre-singularity.

This is from Singularity Hub:

What if we could reverse degenerative forms of blindness with but an injection of new cells? Stem cell therapies—still promising, if not particularly speedy in their development—may someday do just that. A recent paper in the journal Nature Biotechnology documents the successful implantation of photoreceptors, grown from embryonic stem cells, into the retinas of night-blind mice.

A team of researchers at UCL Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, led by Professor Robin Ali, obtained the photoreceptors from a “synthetic retina” grown in a lab dish using a new 3D cell culturing technique recently developed in Japan. The method more closely mimics the natural process of retinal growth in embryos, and allows researchers to better control the process of cell selection and extraction.

The link: Lab Grown Retinal Cells Implanted Into Blind Mice – And They Work | Singularity Hub
I know, many people believe the 2020s will be the year of regenerative medicine. I was wondering what had happened with this study as the experiment had begun in 2009 or 2010.

I'm not quite sure this has to do with Singularity though as this involves biology not AIs making discoveries for us.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I know, many people believe the 2020s will be the year of regenerative medicine. I was wondering what had happened with this study as the experiment had begun in 2009 or 2010.

I'm not quite sure this has to do with Singularity though as this involves biology not AIs making discoveries for us.
Actually this is a great example of the singularity and if you notice Ray Kurzweil always talks about medicine and how it is now a form of information technology thus advancing exponentially. The impact this will have on society in the next 20 years is going to be profound. Another thing Ray always talks about is how all this is happening by many different projects all working towards the same goal. This project is a example of that as the main reason it's going into high gear is medical technology is now information technology and advancing exponentially.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I know, many people believe the 2020s will be the year of regenerative medicine.
I forgot to talk about this.

I have heard this too and its going to change our lives in ways we cant imagine. The top two things I am waiting for are:

1) reverse age

2) turnoff the fat gene.

Medical science is on the cusp of major breakthroughs on both of them now so by the early 2020's we should have them. I am hoping before 2023 as I turn 50. That is, also, why I call the 2020's the pre-singularity.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-02-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Talking Connecting human brain to the internet "not a pipe dream," says futurist Kurzweil

This was a interesting article I saw.

Uploading software upgrades for human brains is not as futuristic as one might think and could be the norm in less than 20 years, according to Google's engineering director Ray Kurzweil.

It does look like my hope of having blood sized computers by the 2020's will happen but it will be towards the end of the decade. I suspect they will be expensive at first but really drop in price during the 2030's. My goal would be to have them by 2030.

The author said that inserting such devices requires minimal invasive surgery because they are the size of a pea and will be the size of a blood cell by the 2030s.

The link: Connecting human brain to the internet "not a pipe dream," says futurist Kurzweil - BNamericas

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-02-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Lately as the technology keeps advancing, getting smaller and merging with us on the way to the technology singularity I have been more interested in contact lenses that have computers imbedded in them.

I happen to run across the article that talks about contact lenses replacing the smart phone so I decided to post it here. I especially liked this statement as this is what I always say.

Computers have been getting smaller and closer to our eyeball since their beginning. First they took up whole rooms. Then they moved to desks. Then they were in our laps. Now, they're in our palms.

Why would it stop there?

They won't.

The link: THE END OF SMARTPHONES: Here's A Computer Screen On A Contact Lens - Business Insider

I want to add that as I keep saying it won't stop with the contact lenses either or even the blood cell in the late 2020's. The singularity is not the end but the beginning of a whole new way of living.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-04-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Exclamation Computer-Brain Interfaces Making Big Leaps

This is something I found interesting. In fact this will lead to virtual reality and that is exactly what Ray Kurzweil talks about as something we will have as we get closer to the singularity.

This is from the New York Times:

Scientists haven’t yet found a way to mend a broken heart, but they’re edging closer to manipulating memory and downloading instructions from a computer right into a brain. Researchers from the Riken-M.I.T. Center for Neural Circuit Genetics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology took us closer to this science-fiction world of brain tweaking last week when they said they were able to create a false memory in a mouse.

I, also, found this very interesting. I actually have one "relationship" that I would use this technology to either have my memory altered to where I remember him but forget other parts, mainly the fact he was a sociopath.

In the movie, “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” a character played by Jim Carrey uses a service that erases memories to wipe his brain of his former girlfriend, played by Kate Winslet. But it seems the movie’s screenwriter, Charlie Kaufman, was selling science short. “The one thing that the movie “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” gets wrong, is that they are erasing an entire memory,” said Mr. Ramirez of M.I.T. “I think we can do better, while keeping the image of Kate Winslet, we can get rid of the sad part of that memory.”

It looks like mending that broken heart, through manipulation of our memories, might be here closer than we think.

The link:http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...chnology&_r=1&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology