Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
I read on another website that the publication will be released in about 7 to 10 days.
If (as her press release claims) her paper is "currently under peer-review" then you can rest assured it is many more months away from ever seeing daylight. A release in a week or so would require the paper to have completed peer-review some time last spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
If (as her press release claims) her paper is "currently under peer-review" then you can rest assured it is many more months away from ever seeing daylight. A release in a week or so would require the paper to have completed peer-review some time last spring.
Well something more conclusive is to be released in 7 to 10 days.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Also don't forget that the Mountain Gorilla was just discovered 100 years ago.
Discovered by who? Locals knew all about the mountain gorilla and had hunted it for food for centuries. Robert von Beringe no more actually "discovered" the mountain gorilla than Columbus "discovered" America.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Well something more conclusive is to be released in 7 to 10 days.
Want to bet?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Lets consider that:
1) There are many thousands of people hunting, hiking, fishing, camping everyday. Some folks live all their life in the woods. Thousands of publicized encounters and not a single carcass, skeleton or identifiable body part! Not even a clear photo, film or video beyond the blurry questionable stuff. So many hunters and not a single Sasquatch killed over hundreds of years?
2) There needs to be a sustainable population, one animal cannot survive forever. It cannot be only a single Sasquatch in the entire north west. Those who investigate, talk about several thousand in North America.
3) In places like Alaska many aviators fly their planes. Not even one filmed or shot a Sasquatch from above.
4) Skeletons of such huge animals cannot disappear instantly. Animals may eat the flesh, but the large bones will survive even many years.
I'm not saying I believe it is real, I really don't. What I'm saying is that basing disbelief upon not finding a carcass all this time is a poor reason. Other organisms either believed to be long-extinct or ones unknown have been discovered in modern times. If you only had a couple hundred of these creatures roaming in the forests the believers claim, it would not be impossible for them to remain undetected all this time.

Thousands of hours I've spent in the northwoods. I grew up in a state with hundreds of thousands of deer. I cannot recall a single occasion in which I came upon a deer carcass just lying in the woods. On the side of the road? Sure, many, many times. A fairly solid black bear population. Never once did I come upon a black bear. Several wolf packs in some of the public lands I hiked and explored. Never once did I encounter a wolf. If we're talking about areas like the northwoods of places like Wisconsin and Minnesota and the Cascades in the Northwest and we're talking about the deep woods that I know, I don't think it inconceivable that a species with an incredibly small population could go undetected. There are places I hiked where probably only a couple other souls ventured that entire year. Maybe a couple other hunters. This within natural areas of tens of thousands of acres. I'm not directing this at you, but when some speak of "the woods," their conception of "the woods" is a little different than mine. The odds would be so high that you might happen upon a carcass in the tiny window of opportunity when it would still be visible before Mother Nature cleans it up. In the types of forests I know, you can walk by something so easily and miss it.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
The wonderful thing about life is that no one will ever know everything, although many believe they do. I like to keep an open mind, ridicule is childish.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I like to keep an open mind, ridicule is childish.
It is one thing to keep an open mind. It is another thing entirely to let one's brains fall out on the floor. And as for ridicule, I take an attitude more along the lines of Thomas Jeffrson's. To whit:

“Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions."

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Discovered by who? Locals knew all about the mountain gorilla and had hunted it for food for centuries. Robert von Beringe no more actually "discovered" the mountain gorilla than Columbus "discovered" America.
That's your opinion. Never the less, there are always new species of animals being discovered all the time and documented. For instance the coelacanth that was thought extinct for 65 million years. The first live one was caught in 1997.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM

Here is an interesting find... an account by one of Dr. Ketchum's erstwhile business partners of legal issues surrounding the patent infringement suit I mentioned above. It provides more insight regarding the quality of Dr. Ketchum's research and professional reliability.

InGen News

Quote:
It was Dr. Ketchum’s responsibility to determine this, which obviously was not done properly. Per our written, signed contract, Dr. Ketchum had expressly committed to PinPoint that none of the genetic tests she (or Texas A&M) would process or provide would have any proprietary issues or require license. This apparently was not the case in regard to the 2nd lawsuit.
Quote:
Melba Ketchum became very tardy in extracting PinPoint’s DNA samples. This was the first period of delays that caused severe customer service problems. We then came to an agreement with Texas A&M to handle this process as well as the PID testing
Quote:
Due to Dr. Ketchum’s failure to properly research certain tests that are allegedly protected by patent, InGen was drawn into another lawsuit which eventually led to the early termination of the contract between InGen and Texas A&M. InGen severed its relationship with Dr. Ketchum which was the best thing that has come from that suit.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Want to bet?
Why do you want to bet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology