Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM

149 posts, read 496,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
A hostel, duh. I was so focused on a hotel. That's a good idea, I'm just worried about people stealing stuff.
can always get storage..usually hostels have a place to store your belongings....yea craigslist works as well. when i made my move, i paid 3 months of rent up front to a subletter on cl...great place/location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 AM

127 posts, read 306,720 times
Make a down payment on a crappy $80,000 house in smelly Tacoma, WA. Mortgage would be cheaper than rent. Get a job in anything. Sell the house at a decent profit when the economy comes back. $$$$$$$$

Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainierman View Post
Make a down payment on a crappy $80,000 house in smelly Tacoma, WA. Mortgage would be cheaper than rent. Get a job in anything. Sell the house at a decent profit when the economy comes back. $$$$$$$$
Boy you make that sound so appealing.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM

79 posts, read 290,210 times
Thats IF the economy comes back...

Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM

22 posts, read 81,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanostrand View Post
I went the hostel route when i came here; i was able to do some work for them in exchange for room and board. Yes, i had to share a room with 2-3 other people but i didn't have many belongings; definitely nothing worth stealing and they have giant storage boxes made of plywood that you can put your stuff in and put a lock on it, if you wish to. i wouldn't actually trade that experience for the world either, i have never had so much fun as when i was there!! hehe.

Yup, that settles it then. I'm a private person, but whatever, lol. That's what I'm gonna do. Hostel it up and then get a place off craigs list. Selling my car, so I'll have even more money. Should have no problems ..

Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 AM

127 posts, read 306,720 times
Good plan, good luck! I suggest looking around colleges and roommate with the students, split a house or apartment down to $200-$300/month.

My idea's not exactly the romantic route:
I arrived to SF from Tacoma with about $10,000. Spent the first 3 months in hotels/hostels with europeans, got old really quick, then I bought a 375sq ft studio for $88,000 in SF's Tenderloin district (drug/hooker central) at age 23 and got a job washing and fixing golf carts at $8/hr. Smoked menthols with off-duty strippers in the afternoon. 2 years later, sold the studio in 10 days. I was 25, unemployed, with $100,000 in profit from the sell, moved back to the Pac NW, called a stockbroker, fortune grew to $400,000 in 10 years, then this recession hit, now $300,000 today, and the beauty is- my first $10,000 is still there. I own 2 homes, the fancy one in downtown Portland where I live, and a piece o' trash in Tacoma I rent out as a cash cow. The trash house is nearly paid off.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:46 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times
How competitive are retail jobs in Seattle? What do most renters in Seattle check for when it comes to history? I see a lot of people use craigslist in Seattle to find roommates so there are truly no horror stories?

I know the point in this thread is to tell everyone it is DOABLE but I don't want to get too complacent. Besides money, has there been any huge risks or close encounters and bad experiences you've had so I will know what signs of trouble to look out for?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
I moved here from Denver 6 years ago. I came 3 times to visit before I made the move. Always in the Summertime. I moved here in January, and it was a big downer. Seattle is beautiful in the summer, but the other seasons can be depressing. You say you need to leave the Denver heat, well, it is currently 90. At 8pm. We do have days and weeks in the 100's, 90's and 80's. But it takes longer to get that way, and doesn't last as long as Denver.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM

74 posts, read 236,418 times
Default Moving to Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcool View Post
Next year, ( regardless of the economy) I am selling my house, leaving my job ,selling all of the belongings, and am LEAVING. I hate the east coast and have been putting off a move for 10+ years due to fear of : not finding a job, not finding a place to live , failing, not fitting in,etc, etc. I wasted most of my life doing the "sensible" thing. Although Seattle seems exciting, I am off to Denver. I will either sink or swim. But sitting here and doing nothing is not an option anymore. I only have a 2 year degree, AND I'm 49 years old. I refuse to listen to another "voice of reason" that tells me to stay and learn to like it. The worst thing that could happen is ......... I could fail. But living a "what if " life is just too sad. Make the move.
I agree with you. I have been doing what I thought was the sensible thing. Listening to friends and family and now I feel stuck in Florida. Moved from city to city in search of jobs ...nothing so far; nearly homeless depending on the mood of the person I'm staying with.

I'm 48years old and time waits for no-one. I don't have any money, don't have a job. I came to this sight again to get encouragement. I don't have a degree, but I have skills in clerical and customer service. I'm sure someone will give me a job. Oh I'm also a african american female. Yes, I'm scared but I need to move just to keep my sanity and inspiration alive.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyred View Post
I agree with you. I have been doing what I thought was the sensible thing. Listening to friends and family and now I feel stuck in Florida. Moved from city to city in search of jobs ...nothing so far; nearly homeless depending on the mood of the person I'm staying with.

I'm 48years old and time waits for no-one. I don't have any money, don't have a job. I came to this sight again to get encouragement. I don't have a degree, but I have skills in clerical and customer service. I'm sure someone will give me a job. Oh I'm also a african american female. Yes, I'm scared but I need to move just to keep my sanity and inspiration alive.
Your job, or lack of one, does not define you as a person. Take care and best of luck. Things will work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area