Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
After all these years I still cannot fathom how the rest of the country still cannot just say "PIKE PLACE MARKET"

No PIKE STREET MARKET
No PIKE'S MARKET
No PIKE'S PLACE MARKET
No PIKES PEAK EFFING MARKET

Good lord.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SECOND THAT!!!

Three simple words.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
For what reasons ?

Well, once you've seen Hollywood and Sunset, what else is there in LA ? San Diego is already on the list with the beautiful beaches and Seaworld. I don't know, perhaps if being stuck for a couple of hours on 405 is on your bucket list.. Orlando may be ok, if you have kids and you want to visit a theme park, but other than that, what else is there ?

Chicago, on the other hand, is rich in culture and history - not to mention unique neighborhoods, phenomenal architecture and an awesome nightlife. Ride the el-train to escape traffic. New Orleans - what other city in US is anything like it ? Party in French Quarter all night with no open container laws, eat cajun food, explore great historic architecture. You tell me those two don't beat LA and Orlando.
I agree New Orleans should be on the list.

Some people like LA for what it is. I don't personally but many do. San Diego's beaches are ok but they're not the best. Orange County has those. I used to work at Sea World, it's overpriced and gets old fast trust me.

Some people just aren't looking for arts and culture as strange as that may seem. Some want theme park heaven. I personally agree with you, I would much rather experience the vibrancy of cultural centers but I think this list is meant to appeal to a wider audience and not just those like us.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
After all these years I still cannot fathom how the rest of the country still cannot just say "PIKE PLACE MARKET"

No PIKE STREET MARKET
No PIKE'S MARKET
No PIKE'S PLACE MARKET
No PIKES PEAK EFFING MARKET

Good lord. No one says "Epcot's Center" "Disney'sland" or "The Malls in Washington's DC"

Is it because of "Pike's Peak" that people call it the wrong name?
I think it's because a lot of people don't realize that it's named after the street "Pike Place" and is not possessive.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree New Orleans should be on the list.

Some people like LA for what it is. I don't personally but many do. San Diego's beaches are ok but they're not the best. Orange County has those. I used to work at Sea World, it's overpriced and gets old fast trust me.

Some people just aren't looking for arts and culture as strange as that may seem. Some want theme park heaven. I personally agree with you, I would much rather experience the vibrancy of cultural centers but I think this list is meant to appeal to a wider audience and not just those like us.
See, I am not even saying I don't like or enjoy LA. I do. I just think it'd be a little dull for a tourist unless you're really into Hollywood and movies. And getting around is no picnic. It's good but not top 10 good, IMO. I guess you could say the same about San Diego

Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
See, I am not even saying I don't like or enjoy LA. I do. I just think it'd be a little dull for a tourist unless you're really into Hollywood and movies. And getting around is no picnic. It's good but not top 10 good, IMO. I guess you could say the same about San Diego
I kinda see what you mean. I can sort of say the same about SD. Much is made about the zoo. It's just another zoo only larger in land area and really hilly. Nothing special. Now the Wild animal park is great. Other than that, it's great if you've never been here but SD gets old really fast. I'd put SD above LA any day though.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I kinda see what you mean. I can sort of say the same about SD. Much is made about the zoo. It's just another zoo only larger in land area and really hilly. Nothing special. Now the Wild animal park is great. Other than that, it's great if you've never been here but SD gets old really fast. I'd put SD above LA any day though.
Maybe because you live there Gentoo, but I found the Gaslight (Gaslamp?) district and the beaches of La Jolla and the little restaurants on Coronado to be a mighty fine tourist draw.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Maybe because you live there Gentoo, but I found the Gaslight (Gaslamp?) district and the beaches of La Jolla and the little restaurants on Coronado to be a mighty fine tourist draw.
Maybe you're right but I kind of thought that before I moved here.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,447 times
Pike Street Market - lol

Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
To Gentoo:

I agree about someone visiting short term to try to do the touristy stuff in Seattle, but the touristy stuff can be MANY other things other than Pike Place Market, Discovery Park, Woodland park zoo, etc. I like Pike place market but find it overrated in some ways. Am I the only that feels this way about Pike Place Market(asking everyone that sees this post in this thread)? Within downtown Seattle itself there are other great spots in it, as well as other areas in Seattle that I like as much/more than Pike Place Market.

I have had amazing Asian food in Seattle as well as other foods in general. I feel like Im in a foodie's paradise here. Some foods I had here was actually better than some of the food experiences I had in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles etc. Me and my family that visited from NYC have been amazed by some of the restaurants in Seattle in general and food. My sister used to think NYC had the best food she ever had, but then she tried out some places in Seattle and Vancouver and those food experiences beat most of the ones she had in NYC. At least 20 restaurants here would compete with the best ones I know in NYC.

I truly wonder why some people see Seattle below cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston etc. for its food scene.

Yeah, someone can find great culture, entertainment, fine dining etc. in NYC, but someone can still find a lot of that in plenty of other cities/places in USA and the world in general. NYC shouldnt have a monopoly on those things. Also, at the same time I know some people that were very uneducated, unsophisticated, and people that were bored in NYC and some that were like that and felt like they were entitled to thinking they were so cool and sophisticated just because they live in NYC and things like that which was ridiculous since some of those people were anything but sophisticated/cool etc.

Overall, NYC is unique but other places are too in their own ways. Many places have their own positives and negatives.

I have lived in Seattle for the past 6 months, but both NYC and Seattle feel like home to me now and I feel like Im from both places lol. I guess you feel like that about San Franciso and San Diego.
In some ways I prefer NYC over Seattle and in other ways I prefer Seattle over NYC.

Also, why do you feel like San Diego gets old fast!?

Last edited by ; 08-18-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I agree about someone visiting short term to try to do the touristy stuff in Seattle, but the touristy stuff can be MANY other things other than Pike Place Market, Discovery Park, Woodland park zoo, etc. I like Pike place market but find it overrated in some ways. Am I the only that feels this way about Pike Place Market(asking everyone that sees this post in this thread)? Within downtown Seattle itself there are other great spots in it, as well as other areas in Seattle that I like as much/more than Pike Place Market.
Well, Pike Place Market IMO beats Fisherman's wharf and Seaport Village. If it's overrated, I don't know what to say about the other places. Next time I go to Seattle and/or if I'm there longer, I will see other areas. I simply didn't have the time or the money to do some of the things I wanted. I never even got to Lake Washington, didn't see the east side and I wanted to because I have a friend from Bellevue.

Quote:
I have had amazing Asian food in Seattle as well as other foods in general. I feel like Im in a foodie's paradise here.
I agree even though again, I couldn't eat everywhere. I had some of the best sushi I've ever had when I was there. I ate there 3 nights in a row! It was also distinctly cheaper than what I pay here.

Quote:
Also, why do you feel like San Diego gets old fast!?
Because in my opinion it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area