Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Pretty much sums up your contributions to this forum. Zero.
This is just your personal opinion. If my contributions were zero, I'd also have zero reps points. That means that some people find my posts valuable. And, by the way, there are more than enough cheerleaders on this forum. I'm not posting to please.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
This is just your personal opinion. If my contributions were zero, I'd also have zero reps points. That means that some people find my posts valuable. And, by the way, there are more than enough cheerleaders on this forum. I'm not posting to please.
Cheerleading Squad, Assemble!

Your posts have become very trollish, you have to admit. If I recall, you were moving from NYC and had checked out both Vancouver and Seattle, and decided to reside in Canada. I don't really get why you continue to hang out here and make trollish posts, but c'est la vie.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM

918 posts, read 1,698,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I've found your posts valuable quite a few times in the past.

I'm not sure what's gotten into you these last couple of weeks; I suspect you've grown tiresome of some of Seattle's ardent cheerleaders on this forum so now you've made it your mission to attempt to annoy as many of them as possible.

Not sure how productive of an endeavor that is, especially if you're an adult but hey - best of luck nonetheless

Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
To Gentoo: That makes sense. It seems like you didnt have a long time to visit Seattle. Oh, I never heard of Fisherman's wharf or Seaport Village.

Where did you have good sushi in Seattle!? Whenever I have sushi, I have it from the Seattle Whole Foods supermarkets, but soon I'll probably try out some Japanese restaurants.

Spicy crab or salmon with cucumber and avocado sushi is my favorite type of sushi, as well as Sweet Potato tempura, and Avocado/cucumber.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Ira500: Im starting to realize that maybe I didnt make the most of what Pike Place Market offers, or dont know much about Pike Place Market. I like Left Banks bookstore but was disappointed in how small it was. That place needs a much bigger space in the near future. Do you know if Left Banks will expand? Why does Elliot Bookstore have a much bigger space and Left Banks has a much smaller space!? And I need to try out Pike Place bagels and some other places sometime around that area.

I actually do like Pike Place Market (especially the streets nearby it), but do find Pike Place Market might be overrated in some ways. I will visit that area again though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Inkpoe: Wow, youre a local and speaking of the food scene in Seattle and Portland condescendingly? Did you ever eat out in NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc.?
I have been to at least 30 great restaurants in Seattle that werent expensive, and some foods I had in the restaurants and supermarkets here I didnt have anywhere else, so it seems like some of the food might be cutting edge. And some of my food experiences here were better than the ones I had in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles etc. Portland's food scene doesnt seem nearly as good as Seattle's but its still good food, and both cities have some of the best food scenes in the USA, definitely in the top 10.

And someone can find truly horrible food experiences even in NYC, and the other cities I mentioned. The hole in the wall chinese restaurants I went to before near the south Bronx was some of the worst "restaurant" experiences I ever had.

Last edited by ; 08-19-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM

mod cut:

And you said you have friends from Seattle? If you do and they saw how you were insulting Seattle any chance you get on this forum, they would stop being your friend, or at least consider stop being your friend.

In some ways, Seattle beats Vancouver, and in other ways Vancouver beats Seattle. In other ways they are tied. As simple as that. When will you finally learn that!?
I thought you said before that there is "a lot to like and enjoy about Seattle," even though you dont like it for yourself.

I recommend you to try some hole in the wall Chinese restaurants near the South Bronx when you visit NYC again. Im sure you'll love it.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-20-2010 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: personal attack removed

Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM

217 posts, read 561,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post

Is it because of "Pike's Peak" that people call it the wrong name?
I have wondered the exact same thing.
I can correct sombody "Pike Place Market" and they will undoubtedly turn around minutes later with "Pike's Place...

(also Seattle's skid road became "skid row" to the rest of america)

Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
this list was clearly made by someone who hasn't visited most of the major cities in the US. this is more like a list of cities some guy visited.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
In my opinion, people here don't want to know who Robuchon is because they tend to see high-end experimental cousine as bourgiouse. If Robuchon came to town and opened a restaurant, you would have The Stranger writing a bad review of it right off the top complaining about how the waitresses dress too provocatively and pointing out how many of the patrons look really corporate, residents complaining about all the tourists its bringing in, an expose in the PI about how many cuts of meat they throw away per day and generally everyone complaining about Californians and how much the food costs. It would be empty 4 nights out of the week like all the other high end places here.

A chef in Seattle will get no love unless he designs his restaurant with a "rustic woodsy interior" and focuses on local, sustainable ingredients.
Yes, sadly, they'd deny themselves an interesting experience out some weird bias. I do wonder if Seattleites be more open to Adrian Ferran, though.

Robuchon tends to use waiters... there are only a handful of waitresses. They tend to wear black pants with aprons that go past their knees and white long sleeves shirt with wide cuffs-- if that's provactive, that's pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Gentoo: That makes sense. It seems like you didnt have a long time to visit Seattle. Oh, I never heard of Fisherman's wharf or Seaport Village.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Inkpoe: Wow, youre a local and speaking of the food scene in Seattle and Portland condescendingly? Did you ever eat out in NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc.?
I have been to at least 30 great restaurants in Seattle that werent expensive, and some foods I had in the restaurants and supermarkets here I didnt have anywhere else, so it seems like some of the food might be cutting edge. And some of my food experiences here were better than the ones I had in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles etc. Portland's food scene doesnt seem nearly as good as Seattle's but its still good food, and both cities have some of the best food scenes in the USA, definitely in the top 10.
My husband is a Chef and has worked with a lot of Chefs here-- believe me... I hear all about the Culinary world all the time. You're not obviously not an experienced foodie and need to reread what I posted.

And besides... You're wrong. Seattle is not in the top ten-- unless you're talking about your own list. Las Vegas, SF, LA, NYC, Chicago is a given. I know Philadelphia, Baltimore, DFW, Houston, Miami always gets mentioned. I believe at most, Seattle will at least be in the top 50, maybe even top 25. I think your Seattle bias has warped your perspective.

P.S. You've stated many times that SF was one of your favorite cities, yet you never heard of Fisherman's wharf?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

My husband is a Chef and has worked with a lot of Chefs here-- believe me... I hear all about the Culinary world all the time. You're not obviously not an experienced foodie and need to reread what I posted.

And besides... You're wrong. Seattle is not in the top ten-- unless you're talking about your own list. Las Vegas, SF, LA, NYC, Chicago is a given. I know Philadelphia, Baltimore, DFW, Houston, Miami always gets mentioned. I believe at most, Seattle will at least be in the top 50, maybe even top 25. I think your Seattle bias has warped your perspective.

P.S. You've stated many times that SF was one of your favorite cities, yet you never heard of Fisherman's wharf?

I am an experienced foodie and read a lot about nutrition. I always try to have healthy, tasty, interesting meals and food products. You dont even know who I am. How can you make such an accusation before even knowing somebody?

Last dinner for one example I had Lentils, Spicy fried rice, egg rolls, scallions, and parmasian cheese
all in the same meal for $6 at a Whole foods buffet. I eat a well balenced and a healthy diet at a relatively low price.

Seattle and Portland's food scene is definitely in the top 25, and most likely even the top 10 in the USA for Asian food, vegetarian/vegan food, organic food, and healthy lifestyles based on food. Seattle and Portland are rated some of the healthiest lifestyle cities in the USA. They both are on the top 10 and even the top 5 in lists for those things.
How can you not know this when you lived in the Pacific Northwest your entire life?

My Seattle bias was warped my perspective? I dont have a Seattle bias. I always said I like things about Seattle, and things I dont like about it, just like with many places. It is very strange that a local doesnt want somebody from somewhere else to say positive things about Seattle, especially someone that is from NYC, and then insult someone for saying something positive about Seattle(the food scene).

And sometimes I dont like that lists that say which place is "better"than another place with certain things, because sometimes people devalue a place that is a lower on the list than another place even if it may have some, or many of those positive things, but at a smaller scale.

Last edited by ; 08-19-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
To rephrase what I said about the Pike Place Market: It's a great place that tourists ruin, just like Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran.
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area