Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,338 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional who is most likely getting a job in Burien. My roommate and I however would like to live in Seattle. However, we aren't sure where to start looking for apartments, having never been to Seattle before. Our price range is probably 1,800 or less for a two bedroom apartment. Are there some neighborhoods that are better for two 25 year old girls to live (lower crime, active, other young adults in the area)? Or neighborhoods to maybe avoid? It would be nice if the neighborhood wasn't quite as far north to cut down on commute time to Burien. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
$1,800 a month is a reasonable3 amount for an apartment in Seattle. Working in Burien you'd be close to work in West Seattle, but it doesn't have the downtown big city feel if that's what you want, more suburban. Areas toward the south end of Seattle are not what I would consider safe
nor fun for young people, more industrial.

Look at Capital Hill, Ballard, and Queen Anne. Of those the closest to your
work would be Capital Hill, easy hop to I5 south.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 PM

31 posts, read 47,598 times
I agree with bisjoe. If you're looking for fun and hip neighborhoods that are relatively safe they are not a lot, if any, viable options in the Southend. Capitol Hill and to a lesser degree West Seattle would be the closest to your place of work. Possibly Lake Union area. Plenty of new construction there with relatively convenient freeway access.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
There's also Columbia City in the south end. In West Seattle, the Alaska Junction neighborhood is pretty nice.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,416 times
I would recommend Wallingford, West Seattle, Sand Point, or Ballard. I have
lived in all of those neighborhoods and they are chill neighborhoods too.
Last year I moved to Kirkland but I love the city

Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Given that work is in Burien and that you'll most likely use 509 from (Seattle), your commute will almost be a non-issue as you're doing a reverse commute. Even the buses from Burien to DT are quick. The only snag would be when the draw bridge is up, but that's only what... 7 mins?

It probably be better if OP could describe what kind of neighborhood they're envisioning when they think of Seattle. Otherwise, the suggestions of (Lower) Queen Anne, West Seattle, Columbia City, Capitol Hill are great.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
There's nothing wrong with living in Burien, this is where you should be looking for a residence, and there are plenty available. It's a short drive into downtown Seattle, however I wouldn't know why you would want to go there. Your close to SeaTac airport, there are two freeways close by to take you into downtown. You may also want to check out the 'city' of SeaTac, Normandy Park, Kent, and De-Moines. (Stay away from White Center)

Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 18,338 times
Thank you for your input. We are coming from a city of 175,000 in South Dakota so we are more so looking to move to a neighborhood that is less suburban-ish. We really are looking for a neighborhood with a relatively young population, somewhere with restaurants, shops, bars etc..within walking distance. By safe, we realize any larger city is going to have more crime but we weren't sure if there was a neighborhood with the characteristics we are looking for that would have less car break ins, theft etc.. than others. Again thanks for your input so far!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 AM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayls55 View Post
Thank you for your input. We are coming from a city of 175,000 in South Dakota so we are more so looking to move to a neighborhood that is less suburban-ish. We really are looking for a neighborhood with a relatively young population, somewhere with restaurants, shops, bars etc..within walking distance. By safe, we realize any larger city is going to have more crime but we weren't sure if there was a neighborhood with the characteristics we are looking for that would have less car break ins, theft etc.. than others. Again thanks for your input so far!
In that case Capitol Hill, near the 11th and Pike area especially, sounds like what youre looking for. Downtown Ballard is also great.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 31,909 times
SoDo toward the Pioneer Square is also an option. It used to be dangerous, but has been cleaned up; you'll get some of the fun but be south of downtown which makes commuting easier. Otherwise, West Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area