Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM

351 posts, read 1,127,391 times

Advertisements

We are a couple considering relocation to the Seattle area. I'd like a small acreage property- the house is less of a concern than finding a well located property suitable for a couple of horses and well-situated. We could always find the land first then build a small home. So far Vashon seems like a good location with some reasonably priced properties. The price range (for a property with a home already on site) would be $300,000 or less, and half that for land only. I would need to plan for a commute to downtown seattle or west seattle. An acquaintance who lives in the area also suggested Poulsbo - the southeast area seems to have some minifarm properties and would be a reasonable commute to the Bainbridge ferry to Seattle.

My understanding is that the commute from any of the outlying areas east of seattle would be a nightmare.

Also, I read in another thread that Vashon has issues with water and restrictive environmental and building regulations, is the same true for Kitsap County and Poulsbo?

Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 PM

216 posts, read 438,640 times
112 views and no responses? No residents from these areas who can weigh in? I am curious about this question as well.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
If you want the mini farm to come with a house, there is currently only one property on Vashon that meets your criteria, more in Poulsbo, and even more in Kitsap County closer to the Southworth ferry terminal around Port Orchard.
Going east, a few places available are in places like Maple Valley and Black Diamond.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM

218 posts, read 580,514 times
I know it's a year later but I have recent experience, so here goes. Kitsap county is wonderful for zoning when it comes to mini-farms. Olalla, WA very small farmie town attracting folks who want USEABLE acreage. Now, problem is if you work in south Seattle, Puyallup, Auburn your commute is long. Pierce County which has Puyallup, Graham, Orting, Buckley, Wilkeson, Buckley are all nice areas. Here's the catch. So many nice homes on acreage have hardly any USEABLE acreage. If you check with Pierce Cty website, you find everything is considered wetland, wildlife corridor or flood zone. Want animals? If the place already has animals at time of sale, you're okay. If its acreage with barns and fencing but without animals at time of sale, you must pay around 2K for the appropriate study to see if you can have the goats, sheep, cows, alpacas, etc. This is done AFTER sale so you can't be sure you can have those animals when you buy. Say you buy a two acre place, wetlands will be encroaching somewhere on it 98% of the time. By the time you block off the portions the lawful number of feet away from the wetland, you can find yourself with almost no useable portion of that two acres you bought. Now if you want to just look at natural wetlands and never touch it, cut a tree or touch the creek, go for it. See what I mean? OK, now for King County. Enumclaw is so nice-I am prejudiced because we looked there a lot. Longtime landowners and farmers told us that the city folks in Kng County planning and land services continually making it harder for rural folks to USE their land. You can't do this, you can't do that. We talked to a man who is on some board (sorry I don't remember name but I could get it.). He advised us not to get anything with a creek or any water running through it. He said next there will be more severe restrictions about that. I sensed a big fight brewing.
I hope this helps someone. If you find acreage with homes on the MLS, just go to the county assessor site and look it up before you get all excited about turning it into your self-sustaining dream mini-farm. It's more complicated than we ever thought.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,830 times
Kitsap County and Poulsbo are far more politically conservative then Vashon Island, therefore they have far less restrictions. It's the Washington State restrictions that you will have to deal with, like the EPA and restrictions on 'wet lands'.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,885,729 times
There are still farms in 'evil' Rainier Beach ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...02722&t=h&z=19

Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM

239 posts, read 687,997 times
During our home search we were looking for something with acreage. Anything livable was well over a million dollars and was 30 to 40 miles from downtown Seattle where my wife works. When I say livable I mean cleared acreage with some sort of order on neighboring properties. We saw some nice homes an nice property, but next door storing old boats, RVs, piles of junk, etc. The more rural areas have absolutely no zoning rules and your residence may end up with a construction company springing up next door. You talk about an eyesore and a property value killer!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 AM

218 posts, read 580,514 times
You won't find rural areas (even bare land) in western WA state that have "no zoning restrictions.". I don't meet anyone who doesn't want lands, water protected, etc. However, there is a point where why buy a place with acreage when you can't garden only in certain spots, no this, no that... Common sense rural restrictions are a must and desired by longtime farmers and residents. The danger point is when the Ted Turners buy huge chunks of land where believe me, they do WHATEVER they want and nobody does anything about it. Then he works to have severe environmental restrictions enacted for everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area