Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

People tell me about how Seattle has so much "Rude" or "Anti-Social" people but they have no personal experiences to back it up, they read something on the internet and assume its true. I ride the Empire Builder between Saint Paul and Chicago ALOT and i always chat around with people in the Lounge Car and there are some really funny and nice people i talk to who are from the Seattle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Those must be the chatty ones. I don't talk to people on flights. Since we don't always see the sun, on a flight, you're above the clouds so I get by the window and enjoy the sunshine. If you see people pressed to the window on the plane, they might be from Seattle.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
People tell me about how Seattle has so much "Rude" or "Anti-Social" people but they have no personal experiences to back it up, they read something on the internet and assume its true. I ride the Empire Builder between Saint Paul and Chicago ALOT and i always chat around with people in the Lounge Car and there are some really funny and nice people i talk to who are from the Seattle area.
I hear talk about that a lot, too, but in the two years I have lived here I just haven't seen much of it, either! Though I live in Lynnwood I work in Seattle, and everyone I work with is as nice and outgoing as can be, the people seem no less nice or open than those I was around back home in the Midwest. I am sure there is a cross section of the population that fits that anti social stereotype that we all hear about due to the big tech crowd we have, but overall I think the Seattle Freeze stuff is overblown.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I hear talk about that a lot, too, but in the two years I have lived here I just haven't seen much of it, either! Though I live in Lynnwood I work in Seattle, and everyone I work with is as nice and outgoing as can be, the people seem no less nice or open than those I was around back home in the Midwest. I am sure there is a cross section of the population that fits that anti social stereotype that we all hear about due to the big tech crowd we have, but overall I think the Seattle Freeze stuff is overblown.
Anyone possessing fundamental social skills who engages with others will find people here as friendly as anywhere.

The Seattle Freeze a myth. Pure and simple.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 16,173 times
Coming from Minnesota ("Minnesota Nice"), I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with those in Seattle.

Everyone's past variables are different...no use in arguing which weather condition is "perfect" and which isn't.

All I know is that while Minnesota can be extremely pleasant and we have some years (such as this year) where winter feels like a breeze, I am not one who can envision being happy with living here the rest of my days. Hot and humid in the summer and 60+ inches of snow in the winter...even we Minnesotans don't know what we want half the time, always wishing for different weather conditions. It's just human nature.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM

236 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Anyone possessing fundamental social skills who engages with others will find people here as friendly as anywhere.

I may have it wrong but the Seattle Freeze doesnt talk about having conversations but developing meaningful friendships...I think the freeze is very real and there have been many articles talking about it (refer to Seattle Freeze forum) but its not impossible to overcome if a person wants puts forth the required effort...pretty much like almost anything in life...On the surface or on a transitory basis people here are very polite but after that...hence the term freeze....

Last edited by irrational exuberance; 03-07-2012 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
People tell me about how Seattle has so much "Rude" or "Anti-Social" people but they have no personal experiences to back it up, they read something on the internet and assume its true.
I lived there. I found it to be true; I hadn't read anything on the internet about it until towards the end of my time there (I was there for about a year and a half).

It's easy to be polite to people and receive politeness back, but it's tougher getting past that than it is with other places in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney

With the degree of aggression and haughty contempt that you address people with here whom you disagree with, you're one of the last people whose word I'd take when it comes to a place's social climate

Regardless, the Seattle Freeze is real if you think it is... that was the general consensus of the now-closed Seattle Freeze thread. And if you think it's real, you should do exactly what I (and some other posters here) did: move somewhere else. California beckons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance
I may have it wrong but the Seattle Freeze doesnt talk about having conversations but developing meaningful friendships...I think the freeze is very real and there have been many articles talking about it (refer to Seattle Freeze forum) but its not impossible to overcome if a person wants puts forth the required effort...pretty much like almost anything in life...On the surface or on a transitory basis people here are very polite but after that...hence the term freeze....
This sums it up pretty much perfectly.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of whether or not the effort is worth it to you. If it is: cool! If not: it's hell!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,327 times
I think it is real but I also know that Seattle has a large non-native population. I have many friends who were born and reared in Seattle (to parents also born in the area) who said that the tone of the city changed once those from California began migrating to Seattle. I have found that those from the area tend to be more sociable than those I know that came from areas in California.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
I may have it wrong but the Seattle Freeze doesnt talk about having conversations but developing meaningful friendships...I think the freeze is very real .

And you would be wrong. Making friends is as easy or difficult as you make it. People put their pants on one leg at a time.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Regardless, the Seattle Freeze is real if you think it is... that was the general consensus of the now-closed Seattle Freeze thread. And if you think it's real, you should do exactly what I (and some other posters here) did: move somewhere else. California beckons!

We actually agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area