Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM

226 posts, read 506,883 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering a move to Seattle and I wondered if any fellow Southerners out there could describe the difference in cultures?

We currently live in Raleigh, North Carolina. My partner has moved around a lot, but I've lived in the South my entire life. So, I wondered what's really different about the Pacific Northwest (and Seattle in particular) from the South. Aside from the obvious, of course: weather, BBQ , etc? College sports are practically a religion in the South, but neither of us is a sports fan, so that's not a problem.

I'd appreciate any insights anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM

368 posts, read 695,454 times
I think it depends on whether you compare to rural southern culture, or big city southern culture. As you know cities like Atlanta, and Charlotte have people from everywhere. Same up here as Seattle and western washington is different than other parts of the state. My opinion is Seattle is less agressive and more passive aggressive than the South in general. The city is laid back, but has energy, and life isn't as slow as in the rural south. You might get sticker shock at the cost of things, but the west coast can be expensive. It's highly educated and very competitive here which I don't think most transplants get until they move. Everyone has a degree in whatever, or an advanced degree, and usually you compete with people just as qualified so you have to really sell yourself in interviews.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
Seattle in particular versus an area as huge and diverse as the American South, both rural and urban? Generalization time, here we come! But anyway, I'd have to go with 'the accent differs.'

Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
This may or may not matter as my supposition may well be way off base. But if your reference to your "partner" is an inference to having a gay lifestyle, I suspect you'll find Seattle to be far more tolerant than the south in that way.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM

226 posts, read 506,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Seattle in particular versus an area as huge and diverse as the American South, both rural and urban? Generalization time, here we come! But anyway, I'd have to go with 'the accent differs.'
LOL. I realize I'm asking for generalizations and that it's hard to sum up large geographic areas in a few words, but a broad comparison would be helpful. And remember, Raleigh, while in no way the size of Seattle, isn't exactly rural. I actually expect quite a bit of similarity in terms of educated populace and transplants but perhaps to a greater degree in the Seattle area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
This may or may not matter as my supposition may well be way off base. But if your reference to your "partner" is an inference to having a gay lifestyle, I suspect you'll find Seattle to be far more tolerant than the south in that way.
You supposition is correct. We're gay. But that in itself isn't an issue. Even in the rural South, we've never had any trouble and found people to be very accepting. Being a larger, more metropolitan area, I'd expect Seattle in particular to be more open to different lifestyles. It's certainly a plus and having a larger gay community would be nice, but I think of myself as a guy with varied interests first. The gay part comes later.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:40 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,770 times
The south is a hellish hole, stay far away or it will suck your soul.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I was born and raised in the South but I did live in Seattle for a few years in my 30s circa 1998. I enjoyed my time in Seattle and am glad that I made the move. I am also glad I moved away. The overcast and rain really got to me. I specifically remember spotting Mt Rainer on my way home one day and thinking, where did that come from? I honestly did not see it for 6 months straight.

The People there are great and friendly just like you would find in the South but don't expect any waves from passerbyers you don't know. My wife is from Ohio and still doesn't understand why I wave at folks that I don't know.

Downtown Seattle is my favorite downtown in the US and I have been to many. Its easily the cleanest downtown I have ever visited. My wife and I would make a point to go downtown almost everyweekend when we lived in Seattle. We went for the food, the music, the events, the experience. It was a great time. In contrast, we have lived in Atlanta for 8 years and go downtown about once a year.

To anyone thinking about moving to Seattle I say do it. You wont regret it, I know I didn't. The rain and overcast can get you down but just make a point to go outside regardless. Get a rain coat with a hood, no one carries and umbrella in Seattle.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 PM

13 posts, read 38,882 times
I lived in Phoenix for 13 years, Alabama for 15, Seattle for nearly 8. Travel all the time east to west and so forth. The biggest difference is the people. Frankly, as you have mentioned, you are gay, and you will be welcomed with open arms by a very gay friendly community. I'm a straight, non-metro, male and I have had a hard time fitting in certain circles. I have a large number of gay friends, men and women and they enjoy a very active social life here. Prices, yeah, it's expensive, but you don't pay state income taxes, and most other prices are lower (ie., power bills are about $20 a month). Alabama (and GA and NC) imposed all sorts of taxes and fees on things that are not taxed here (you don't pay tax on food), and until recently, our tab renewal was about $50 compared to $300 or $400 in Alabama. Eating out is pricey for good restaurants. Gas is a pain...hovering at $4 a gallon today, but most people bike or walk. My advice, if you can afford it, live downtown (if you work there), there's no point in living outside the city. If I had to move out of the city, I'd move back south, not much of a difference and housing is cheaper.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:47 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,186 times
I lived in the Triangle area for 6 years. Cultural differences? Seattle's less suburban than the Raleigh/Cary area. Much denser, much more to do here, more cultural opportunities. Much more of an Asian influence. People are more casual than on the East Coast in terms of dress. Also, almost everyone here loves the outdoors.

Seattle's pretty liberal. Think Carrboro, but urban and with actual employment opportunities.

If you move here, prepare to be amazed at how other people see the South. They think that Southerners just sit on their porches all day, sipping iced tea and reading the bible.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
seattlenextyear, I think the stereotypes of the south are how people think of southerners ... lazy, overweight, bigoted, ultra-right wing conservative Christian, and with no culture.

That's not how I think (some) southerners are because I've been fortunate to meet a fair number of them.

But that is how a LOT of people here think of the South and Southerners.

The cultural difference here as well is that, at least in the city, there isn't as big a sports culture, UNLESS you talk about soccer. Soccer crowds here are nuts. They're more energetic than the football fans in my opinion, and this is in the "12th man" stadium.

Of course, that could be because none of the local teams are worth cheering for other than the soccer team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area