Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,109 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I had an on-site interview about 2 weeks ago for an SDE position. After a week's + time of radio silence, I did a follow up and received a reply from their recruiting team asking how the interview went and they would have an update shortly.... Now another week has gone by and I still haven't received an answer...should I follow up again? I figured they were typically fast with their process after the on-site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,084 times
Hi All,

I have been offered a role as NDE (networking related but not operations) at Amazon. The job description does look good and fits my interests. However, this move would mean staying away from my spouse for at-least an year (or) two. We are 30 years old and trying to start a family. This potential move has been adding a lot of stress to the both of us. Unfortunately due to her job constraints, she will not be able to move immediately. Quitting is her only option which I am not forcing and I would like her to decide.

I am trying to get a sense of the following:
Note: I do understand the answer can vary from team to team.

1. I've noticed threads online indicating that taking days off (using personal days (or) vacation) periodically is viewed negatively within the company. Is that really true? That's the only way we can at-least try and meet once a month since the air-travel is around 5-6hrs (non-stop).

2. I did not bring this up with the hiring manager during my conversation as I felt I would be asking for favors even before joining the company. Wondering, what's the best way to find out if at-least I am allowed to use my vacation/personal days. Working from a remote location is anyways ruled out.

3. Looks like work-life balance is a lottery. If there is anyone from the networking side of Amazon, would you please shed some light? I understand operations is tough (with work midnights and weekends), but how about the other roles in the same division?

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2016, 06:49 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yubeie View Post
Hi All,

I have been offered a role as NDE (networking related but not operations) at Amazon. The job description does look good and fits my interests. However, this move would mean staying away from my spouse for at-least an year (or) two. We are 30 years old and trying to start a family. This potential move has been adding a lot of stress to the both of us. Unfortunately due to her job constraints, she will not be able to move immediately. Quitting is her only option which I am not forcing and I would like her to decide.

I am trying to get a sense of the following:
Note: I do understand the answer can vary from team to team.

1. I've noticed threads online indicating that taking days off (using personal days (or) vacation) periodically is viewed negatively within the company. Is that really true? That's the only way we can at-least try and meet once a month since the air-travel is around 5-6hrs (non-stop).

2. I did not bring this up with the hiring manager during my conversation as I felt I would be asking for favors even before joining the company. Wondering, what's the best way to find out if at-least I am allowed to use my vacation/personal days. Working from a remote location is anyways ruled out.

3. Looks like work-life balance is a lottery. If there is anyone from the networking side of Amazon, would you please shed some light? I understand operations is tough (with work midnights and weekends), but how about the other roles in the same division?

Thanks,
Don't be offended, but why take this job? Is there anything else closer that pays as well (factor in COL). Amazon seems like a great company, but it's 1 in 10,000. And, if your "spouse" is your spouse and this is important, she could go with you. I don't get the angst when this situation seems self-manifested.

You applied for a job 6 hours away and didn't think about this? I wouldn't leave my spouse for any job. I'm confused. Not attacking you, but would like a little more context.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Don't be offended, but why take this job? Is there anything else closer that pays as well (factor in COL). Amazon seems like a great company, but it's 1 in 10,000. And, if your "spouse" is your spouse and this is important, she could go with you. I don't get the angst when this situation seems self-manifested.

You applied for a job 6 hours away and didn't think about this? I wouldn't leave my spouse for any job. I'm confused. Not attacking you, but would like a little more context.
Thank you for the reply.. I planned to take up this opportunity for career growth reasons and yes, I was aware of travel involved ..and my spouse is willing to support me through the process.

However, what I did not know until I was reading online was that employees were not even able to use their earned leave.
All I am trying to understand is the culture within the company.

Honestly niether of us like staying away from each other either.. but we mentally prepared ourselves to go through it.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:

Honestly niether of us like staying away from each other either.. but we mentally prepared ourselves to go through it.
Sounds like a big mistake. Wishing you good luck.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 35,858 times
Hi All,

I am interviewing with Amazon and I have my 2nd phone call interview in a week for a transportation analyst position, I was just wondering what kind of questions I am expecting for the interview also will it be completely technical for this position if yes then what type? someone please help me

Old 04-06-2016, 05:20 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.. I planned to take up this opportunity for career growth reasons and yes, I was aware of travel involved ..and my spouse is willing to support me through the process.

However, what I did not know until I was reading online was that employees were not even able to use their earned leave.

Right. I understand the conflict, but this isn't travel right? This is a move. I don't know about earned leave, I would assume Amazon lets it's employees take vacations. If that's your spouse, she has to go where you go or vice versa.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
Quote:

You're free to use your vacation time as you please. Nonetheless, depending on your specific team, you may feel pressured not to take it all at once or too soon. Many of your teammates will likely skip/miss vacation days in order to finish some project or simply to help the team keep up with ongoing tasks.

Ultimately, it is up to you to enforce a healthy work/life balance.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:18 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Don't worry about your vacation days as you can use them. Taking a day off here and there is really not that big of a deal on most (every?) team. You can just take Friday off and leave work on Thursday night, take a red eye (if there is one) and then come back on Sunday. That's just 1 day off and you can do that every month if you want to.

They might have an issue if you don't use vacation days and say that you're going to WFH every Friday or something like that.

Aside from the vacation days (which you should not have a problem using), you may end up getting stressed in other ways by being apart from your spouse so you may want to think and ensure that both of you are fine with living apart like this.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 24,622 times
Greetings AMZN forum, I am interviewing on-site in a couple of weeks for a Senior Financial Analyst role and I wanted to see if anyone could provide any color into questions/expectations for the day?

I have read a number of posts in regards to interview day for tech roles, but wanted to see if anyone had any insight for SFA?

Should I expect that I may have to build any excel models or write any SQL queries?

Also, should I expect any case studies? If so, do you think it will be similar to strategy consulting case studies?

Any advice on preparation would be great!

Thanks everyone (I'm excited!!)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area