Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM

35 posts, read 197,174 times

Advertisements

My husband interviewed with Amazon in March and was offered the job a couple of days after his in-person interviews. My understanding is that it's normally a pretty speedy process. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 10,167 times
I have an add on question on the topic. My husband was turned down after what he described as a great interview. His contact inside said the decision not to hire was not the hiring manager's, as he was inclined to hire (so someone else blocked it, maybe). Trying to understand the process for future reference. How soon can you re-apply?

Thanks for any insight. We were kind of counting on this.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
There is what they call a "bar raiser interview" in the process where often someone not directly on the team will interview to see if a interviewee RAISES the avg of the talent at Amazon. If you don't pass the bar raiser for whatever reason, you likely will not get hired. My husband saw a lot of great people get passed over in the process...

Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM

159 posts, read 428,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
There is what they call a "bar raiser interview" in the process where often someone not directly on the team will interview to see if a interviewee RAISES the avg of the talent at Amazon. If you don't pass the bar raiser for whatever reason, you likely will not get hired. My husband saw a lot of great people get passed over in the process...
God, I am so glad I don't work. Well, not what most people consider work, at least.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,514 times
Quote:
I went through another interview process at Amazon and ran into this myself. Everything else went great, except for the interview with this person. He was asking me questions that had no bearing on my job, the job description, or my past experience. I got a bit defensive and asked him how we'd even interact inside of Amazon, and his reply was "oh, we wouldn't at all..."

Honestly, a pretty terrible interview process if you ask me.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,783 times
Quote:
This is interesting. My DH interviewed at Amazon last year onsite and did not get hired (despite a great interview). Same thing with Microsoft. He is getting ready to interview with Amazon onsite again and this is good to know.

Any advice on how to "up" your chances of being hired at Amazon?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
This is interesting. My DH interviewed at Amazon last year onsite and did not get hired (despite a great interview). Same thing with Microsoft. He is getting ready to interview with Amazon onsite again and this is good to know.

Any advice on how to "up" your chances of being hired at Amazon?
Just asked my husband and his answer was "pray". Seriously...not a lot you can do. Know the core values of the company and exhibit them in your answers but bar raiser is someone who is not vested in the team and is the "check" to make sure a manager who is desperate to hire is not just putting someone in the position and hoping they will work. If you are in a technical role there are all kinds of blogs/websites etc where people talk about the types of technical questions they were asked. You will know it's a bar raiser when they start going outside the box a little more.

My husband overall had a great experience at AMZN and it has been fabulous on his resume. He landed a sweet job out of it so all the toiling was worth it. He feels for the almost 5 years he worked there he got about 8 years of experience out of it.

Last edited by texastrigirl; 05-04-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,783 times
Quote:
Just asked my husband and his answer was "pray". Seriously...not a lot you can do. Know the core values of the company and exhibit them in your answers but bar raiser is someone who is not vested in the team and is the "check" to make sure a manager who is desperate to hire is not just putting someone in the position and hoping they will work. If you are in a technical role there are all kinds of blogs/websites etc where people talk about the types of technical questions they were asked. You will know it's a bar raiser when they start going outside the box a little more.

My husband overall had a great experience at AMZN and it has been fabulous on his resume. He landed a sweet job out of it so all the toiling was worth it. He feels for the almost 5 years he worked there he got about 8 years of experience out of it.
Thank you!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,613 times
I know I'm a little late to this but I did recently go through the interview process.

They were pretty slow during the phone interview process but got faster as time went on. For me it was something like:

time to schedule 1st phone interview: 1 week
2nd interview: 3 weeks later (recruiter said that the 1st interviewer took a long time to give his feedback)
in-person: 1 week later
phone call from recruiter: 2 days later (saying that he didn't have an answer for me yet but didn't forget about me)
another phone call from recruiter: 3 business days after that (1 week after the in-person)

in my case, it ended with a ding. however, i was also asking for a lot so i don't know if that had anything to do with it. like some of you, the feedback was that i was a great fit for the team but not a good fit for the open position (i didn't really have that much direct experience in the same product).

at the in-person, recruiter asked me what i wanted in terms of benefits, pay, etc. and i really asked for a lot because i would have to move the family away from relatives, etc. although i don't know the regular compensation packages there, i believe i was asking for more than their standard package so it would have required a lot of additional approvals, etc.

interestingly enough, they did contact me again so we'll see how this round goes. only problem now is that i already accepted another job when this one fell through and i'm supposed to start in 3 weeks. i don't really want to start a new job and quit immediately so we'll see how this works out.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I know I'm a little late to this but I did recently go through the interview process.

They were pretty slow during the phone interview process but got faster as time went on. For me it was something like:

time to schedule 1st phone interview: 1 week
2nd interview: 3 weeks later (recruiter said that the 1st interviewer took a long time to give his feedback)
in-person: 1 week later
phone call from recruiter: 2 days later (saying that he didn't have an answer for me yet but didn't forget about me)
another phone call from recruiter: 3 business days after that (1 week after the in-person)

in my case, it ended with a ding. however, i was also asking for a lot so i don't know if that had anything to do with it. like some of you, the feedback was that i was a great fit for the team but not a good fit for the open position (i didn't really have that much direct experience in the same product).

at the in-person, recruiter asked me what i wanted in terms of benefits, pay, etc. and i really asked for a lot because i would have to move the family away from relatives, etc. although i don't know the regular compensation packages there, i believe i was asking for more than their standard package so it would have required a lot of additional approvals, etc.

interestingly enough, they did contact me again so we'll see how this round goes. only problem now is that i already accepted another job when this one fell through and i'm supposed to start in 3 weeks. i don't really want to start a new job and quit immediately so we'll see how this works out.
You might be surprised at what people ask for and what they get. We made a long list and after a bit of negotiating, got it all. If you're a good fit they will generally make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area