Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 16,841 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Denver for 5 years and love it for the mild weather, lack of humidity, friendly people and healthy lifestyle. I ski in the winters, but actually love how mild the winters are in Denver, while you can get 2 feet of snow overnight in the mountains.

I have a good job offer in Seattle and am so unsure about the lifestyle in Seattle. I've been there for about 18 hours, 4 years ago. I will go back before I accept, but would love opinions from this group.

I live in Cherry Creek in Denver, which is kind of a yuppie business and residential district. Lots of boutiques and restaurants. About 10 minutes from downtown. Very safe. I have an older home with tons of character and a nice yard for my 2 dogs - that I can take anywhere in Denver...very dog friendly.

In Seattle, my job would be downtown. I'm used to having almost no commute, but I want a fenced yard for my dogs. Suggestions on where to live?

Another big consideration is meeting people and dating. I do now know anyone in Seattle. I keep reading about the freeze. True? What is dating like here? What do people bond over? I am not a hiker or a kayaker, which I know is a stereotype. I am just trying to figure it out.

Any suggestions on things I should check out are much appreciated. I am trying to find a way to get excited about Seattle, and need your help! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
If you love Denver as much as you say, I think you might have a hard time in Seattle. It's overcast for the better part of the year and it's wet most of the time. If you came here now, you would think it's pretty sunny. By February, you might think you made a huge mistake. When you say you're trying to find a way to get excited about Seattle, it sounds like you don't want to leave Denver at all and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,841 times
Thanks, Seacove. The only problem is, I have a great job prospect in Seattle, and in Denver I am going to have to work multiple jobs to match it. Financially, the smart decision is probably Seattle. I am just trying to help my heart catch up with my head.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 AM

82 posts, read 142,964 times
The front range is pretty sweet in some ways so if you're settled and loving it there, why not just keep your job?

I lived in Denver (Wash Park) before moving here so am familiar with the area. I enjoyed Denver for much of what you mentioned as well and I could easily live there again if I had to. That said, Seattle suits me a bit more overall so we're staying put.

If you're cool with overcast conditions a lot of the year, it's way better than Denver in my opinion. I'm ok with it and the fact that I kayak and snowboard really helps. The only time of year it starts to bug me is in late april/may when it should start getting warm and sunnier, but often lately it doesn't.

Denver (and the front range) can be pretty ugly overall compared to here, it snows way more here and the terrain is better than summit county stuff, there is little traffic to the ski areas..none of that i70 parking lot, the hiking within an hour of town is sooo much better than within an hour of Denver. There is water and green everywhere, all year round..and no ugly beetle kill.

IMO, Seattle has a lot more character and variety as a town than Denver. Their are less strip malls, more unique neighborhood downtown centers, more independently owned businesses and less chain stores. The in-city parks are great. The bar and restaurant scene is more developed and a solid notch above Denver.

It's close to being as dog friendly as Denver if you're concerned about that.

It's more expensive to live here than Denver, although if you own a home in Cherry Creek you can probably afford something in one of the neighborhoods north of downtown and have a 10-12 minute drive. Average lots around 3,500 to 5k sq ft so small but ok for dogs.

Don't know much about the dating scene as I'm married. People here are probably a little more reserved than Denver, but if you're outgoing and join some organized activities, you would probably do fine. Lots of young folks here for sure.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I've heard very good things about the dating scene in Denver. It's very difficult in Seattle. One way people deal with it is by joining the local hiking club, or a canoe or kayak club. That lets you out.

Before grabbing that job because of the higher pay, I'd study the real estate or rental market in Seattle to see how much of a chunk out of your paycheck that would take. You may not come out as far ahead as you think. However; if you need a yard, and want as short a commute as possible, you could take a look at the Central District, which used to be the 'hood, but was becoming gentrified in the 90's, by people like yourself who wanted proximity to downtown. I don't know what that neighborhood is like now, but take a look. Capitol Hill would be the other option. You can walk downtown from parts of Capitol Hill, and it's a decent neighborhood. Otherwise, you'll have no choice but to compromise on your commute preference.

Be prepared for really sucky weather.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
i have been to Seattle area for almost 3 months, i still haven't see the sucky, rainy weather that you guys mentioned.
In fact, i feel little hot every day because of no AC. Where is the rain? I need to wash my car.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It was an unusually rainy spring (though that's becoming more usual the last few years), with some rain in early summer as well. Late July-August is always the hottest time of the year. Because it's a relatively short period, homes and apartments aren't set up with air-conditioning. Though when you need it, it's really nice to have it. I'd recommend it to people, though it's not the custom to have it in Seattle.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 AM

25 posts, read 56,363 times
Default Stay in Denver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
i have been to Seattle area for almost 3 months, i still haven't see the sucky, rainy weather that you guys mentioned.
In fact, i feel little hot every day because of no AC. Where is the rain? I need to wash my car.
Just wait, your 2 month summer is almost over.

I just moved back to Denver after living in Seattle for 2 1/2 years. Seattle is incredibly beautiful in August and September. The rest of the year is depressing with the dark low overcast that sticks around for days at a time. Seattle is definitely more scenic then Denver, but that's only when you can actually see the mountains, which outside of the August/September, isn't that often.

One thing I really miss about Seattle is the amazing food. Seattle wins in that department hands down. I really miss the seafood, Central Market, and our favorite sushi spots.

The weather was the major factor for our decision to move back to Denver. I like to spend a lot time outside and couldn't stand being cooped up inside for weeks at a time in the winter in Seattle. Denver has fairly mild winters and you can get some really nice days in the winter in the 60s and even 70s. The occasional snow storms are fun too.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 PM

82 posts, read 121,357 times
If your hot and your different Seattle is going to give you your choice of mates!

Ive lived a dream out here as a single man and without even knowing ANYONE. The first 6 months all I did was drive around after work , pull into gas stations, smile at girls, browse the supermarket aisles and wait to get hit on.

I recommend never leaving your house without being dolled up. I never do as a guy! It works out here like a charm-people arent used to seeing people who care about their appearance and show it.

Some of the women Ive dated out here- I cant even describe, drop dead gorgeous, asians-mixed black chicks, hot white chicks everything. I mean I had cuties out in LA as well but not like this.

God Bless this place....the only thing I hate is the wet dreary weather that just exhausts you...but if you got a little hot boy/hot girl keeping you company, ANYWHERE on earth is paradise.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,645 times
Default Seattle info

You may find it interesting:
[url=http://www.seattle.gov/living/]Living in Seattle ? Seattle.gov[/url]

Live in Seattle metro for past 13 years, moved to Denver last year, still adjusting to the very dry climate, altitude and lack of things to do. I still miss Seattle badly. If yo are single and open to a new relationship Seattle would be a much better place to live for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area