Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 20,040 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble finding gifts for some of my family in the south and thought I might go with some salmon. A thread on Reddit recommended Jensen's Smokehouse. I also see mentions for Portlock, Jacks, City Fish and Wilson Brothers from the Ballard farmer's market.

What do you recommend?

If the best is really expensive, then how about best for a decent price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Yes! I need an answer for this too... I never realized how crazy my husband's family in Mexico is for salmon until they visited last year for the first time. I didn't serve salmon until their final night and they were elated. No salmon in Mexico???

Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 20,040 times
I keep asking on other forums, everyone has a different suggestion. :/

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
You can't go wrong with Portlock, and you can't go wrong with Jensen's Smokehouse. The smoked salmon at the Ballard Farmer's Market is out of this world, melt in your mouth, moist, succulent, to die for smoked salmon. Oh, that's good stuff! If you know when they'll be at the Ballard Farmer's market, that's pretty incredible stuff. They don't have a lot to choose from, however. You''ll have the biggest variety at Portlock. Jensen's makes a particularly good Gravlax, and if you bring them a fish they'll smoke it for you.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
You know, this thread makes me want some smoked salmon ...

But I live in Everett... nowhere near any of these places.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM

42 posts, read 131,586 times
Totem Smokehouse has the best smoked salmon. No doubt about it! They are located at the Pike Place Market. They ship for the holidays and are family owned. The website is totemsmokehouse.com.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,277 times
Default Smoked Salmon Tasting Contest

I see many posts inquiring about the best smoked salmon. To get the smorgasbord of tasting opportunity... come to this years "Salmon Tales" festival in Westport WA held on the last week end in September! Part of this fun festival celebrating salmon and it's history in our coastal community is a SMOKED SALMON COMPETITION! Pro salmon smokers from far and wide will vie for the title of the "Best Smoked Salmon in the Pacific Northwest".

Attendees can purchase a tasting card and sample servings from all of the participants... and cast a vote for "People's Choice". Also at the festival... music, salmon art vendors (metal sculptors, glass blower, wood carvers, painters) beer garden from Westport Brewing Co and historical displays related to the charter salmon fishing history in Westport! See more at Salmontales.info

Mike Coverdale - Event Chair 360-268-1234

Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times
Great question I always wondered too. Everyone just tells me Pike Place but come on.

I might have to go to this festival now.

Smoked salmon spread + wheat herb walnut bread from Macrina Bakery = heaven

Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoverdale View Post
I see many posts inquiring about the best smoked salmon. To get the smorgasbord of tasting opportunity... come to this years "Salmon Tales" festival in Westport WA held on the last week end in September! Part of this fun festival celebrating salmon and it's history in our coastal community is a SMOKED SALMON COMPETITION! Pro salmon smokers from far and wide will vie for the title of the "Best Smoked Salmon in the Pacific Northwest".

Attendees can purchase a tasting card and sample servings from all of the participants... and cast a vote for "People's Choice". Also at the festival... music, salmon art vendors (metal sculptors, glass blower, wood carvers, painters) beer garden from Westport Brewing Co and historical displays related to the charter salmon fishing history in Westport! See more at Salmontales.info

Mike Coverdale - Event Chair 360-268-1234
What is the anticipated date a d how much does it typically cost?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoverdale View Post
come to this years "Salmon Tales" festival in Westport WA held on the last week end in September!
Thank you for this! I just might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area