Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Perhaps some earthquake experts can verify whether or not this is correct, but it is my understanding that typical (is there such a thing?) earthquake in San Francisco is usually very close to the surface, but most of the Seattle quakes are quite deep. In fact, if memory serves me (it rarely does) Seattle had one in '04 or '05 that was about an 8.0, but it was so deep it was hardly felt.

Either way, I have lived in California for a long time and do not fall asleep at night worrying about it. I know of no one who does.
The Loma Prieta quake was 12 miles deep. Shallower than Nisuqally which was 32 miles, a bit deeper than Northridge (10 miles). Kobe was 9 miles deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times
Isn't Mt. Rainier suppose to blow within 70 years? That is what our tour guide told us a couple of years ago. Not the most reliable source, obviously, but weird for him to just say it.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Isn't Mt. Rainier suppose to blow within 70 years? That is what our tour guide told us a couple of years ago. Not the most reliable source, obviously, but weird for him to just say it.
Tacoma has more to worry about that. I've also heard that Rainier is a ticking time bomb. Wasn't trying to downplay the issues Seattle would have but a lot of the land inside Puget Sound was put there by Mt. Rainer by way of Lahars that passed through the area where Tacoma is.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
Yeah, I think the greater risk to consider is lahar flow from Mt. Rainier or a tsunami from an earthquake in the cascadian subduction zone. We actually considered tsunami when deciding whether to purchase a house in Edmonds.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM

12 posts, read 47,044 times
Thanks again for all the help! From what I've heard, Rainer isn't a worry, as it gives off signs before it blows, so they can evacuate the area beforehand.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc2412 View Post
Thanks again for all the help! From what I've heard, Rainer isn't a worry, as it gives off signs before it blows, so they can evacuate the area beforehand.
Yeah, but do you really want your house/apartment to be in the lahar path? I didn't think so.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Yeah, but do you really want your house/apartment to be in the lahar path? I didn't think so.
Not to mention lahars can happen suddenly and without warning. There was a very minor event some years ago (very late 1990s or very early 2000s, can't remember exactly but I do remember it being a big deal in the news when it happened).

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Not to mention lahars can happen suddenly and without warning. There was a very minor event some years ago (very late 1990s or very early 2000s, can't remember exactly but I do remember it being a big deal in the news when it happened).
I heard about that. Think it was early 2000's. The glacier on Mt. Rainier isn't just massive, it's unstable and any extra heat or tremors can cause pieces of it to melt and/or break off.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
I have been in a few earthquakes that have lasted around 30 seconds or so. It wasn't over by the time I realized it. It was freaking scary for those 30 seconds...and those times were the longest 30 seconds of my life.

House starts shaking, shaking gets stronger, you just wish it would stop, you wonder when it will die down, then it finally starts to die down so you can breath again, etc...then you go on facebook and write "was that what i think it was???"

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
I remember a story that my Professor once told my class. He's not from here, having moved to Seattle from the East Coast. He just happened to gaze out the window mid-lecture and noticed how the traffic light was swinging violently and he heard a deep rumble. He wondered if it was an Earthquake. So, he looks back to his class and... there were no students. He was puzzled by that until he heard a voice call out from under the tables: "Get your dumb a## under the desk!" He did go on to mention he was mighty impressed by how "quick" Seattle kids were when it comes to Earthquake, LOL.

I was in Japan when the Kobe earthquake happened. I've been in several earthquakes on the West Coast. Japan was much scarier. My family home in Japan sounded much more rickety whereas the homes in Seattle were pretty stoic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area