Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

Hi there...
My husband, collage age son and I will be visiting my brother in Redding, Ca. (driving from So. California) next month for a few days and decided to extend our trip and take the drive up to Seattle. While we definitely want to go to Pikes Market and go up the Space Needle, we really want to see some of the beautiful areas surrounding the city.
Wow!! I'm overwhelmed as I'm doing my research! There're so many places to see no matter what direction you go! Too many choices! (Although I think I really want to see Hoh rainforest if I had to choose just one place)
Anyway, question for residents of Seattle and it's surrounding suburbs... do you plan weekend getaways a lot? What are some of your favorite places for hiking or just relaxing?
Everything thing I'm looking at on a map seems to be a few hours away. I would imagine there are B&Bs everywhere!

We're in Orange County BTW, and we have LA to the north, San Diego to the south, Las Vegas seems to be a popular destination for a lot of folks if you like that sort of thing. The San Bernardino mountains are pretty nice. Of course we can always go to the beach, but aside from seeing a pretty sunset, we don't really spend time AT the beach. So aside from the coast, So. Cal is a little scrubby looking to be honest.

We have a friend who moved to Sacramento and he's just a few hours to drive to Yosemite, Shasta, The Redwoods, Lake Tahoe etc. I'm jealous! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM

176 posts, read 348,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi there...
My husband, collage age son and I will be visiting my brother in Redding, Ca. (driving from So. California) next month for a few days and decided to extend our trip and take the drive up to Seattle. While we definitely want to go to Pikes Market and go up the Space Needle, we really want to see some of the beautiful areas surrounding the city.
Wow!! I'm overwhelmed as I'm doing my research! There're so many places to see no matter what direction you go! Too many choices! (Although I think I really want to see Hoh rainforest if I had to choose just one place)
Anyway, question for residents of Seattle and it's surrounding suburbs... do you plan weekend getaways a lot? What are some of your favorite places for hiking or just relaxing?
Everything thing I'm looking at on a map seems to be a few hours away. I would imagine there are B&Bs everywhere!

We're in Orange County BTW, and we have LA to the north, San Diego to the south, Las Vegas seems to be a popular destination for a lot of folks if you like that sort of thing. The San Bernardino mountains are pretty nice. Of course we can always go to the beach, but aside from seeing a pretty sunset, we don't really spend time AT the beach. So aside from the coast, So. Cal is a little scrubby looking to be honest.

We have a friend who moved to Sacramento and he's just a few hours to drive to Yosemite, Shasta, The Redwoods, Lake Tahoe etc. I'm jealous! LOL!
Not happy with Orange County amenities?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
The husband and I like to get away on the weekends, but we live in a pretty low-maintenance place. You either make it a priority or you don't. I hope you like mountains - cause we have a lot of them! Of course we also have our coast (and it's nothing like California's) and agricultural areas too.

Portland, Vancouver, Victoria, Leavenworth, Anacortes, Sequim, Mt Rainer, north cascades, Steven's Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Camano Island, Whidby Island, Deception pass, Bellingham, San Juans, Cle Elum, Yakima, etc - are just some of the places we like to go, and all within pretty easy distance on a Friday afternoon. Cut out of work a couple hrs early and you can be there by dinner. Plus, there's vacation rentals in the mountains if you want to get away from populated areas.

If you don't have a weekend - there is a ton of hiking just along the I-90 corridor. You have an incredible amount of excellent trails without going more than an hour from Seattle. We typically do something this (or go out Hwy 2, or down towards Ranier) every week, and then have a monthly weekend where we venture further away and spend a night somewhere.

Enjoy!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Not happy with Orange County amenities?
As for Orange County "amenities"... you mean like the beach? Disneyland? Shopping? There's lots of shopping... don't like shopping that much. Maybe I've just lived here too long! LOL!

As far as living and working here, it's fine enough, it's safe and convenient, hubs likes his tech job, I have a part time job, we have friends and family close by etc... it's just that our weekend getaways always seem to end up longer because we have to drive so far to get to where we want to go for the beauty spots and to where it's cooler weather especially in the summer and fall... Big Sur for example.
BTW, some folks like the desert so they go to Palm Springs. Meh.
I'd better hop over to the OC forum and get some ideas!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
The husband and I like to get away on the weekends, but we live in a pretty low-maintenance place. You either make it a priority or you don't. I hope you like mountains - cause we have a lot of them! Of course we also have our coast (and it's nothing like California's) and agricultural areas too.

Portland, Vancouver, Victoria, Leavenworth, Anacortes, Sequim, Mt Rainer, north cascades, Steven's Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Camano Island, Whidby Island, Deception pass, Bellingham, San Juans, Cle Elum, Yakima, etc - are just some of the places we like to go, and all within pretty easy distance on a Friday afternoon. Cut out of work a couple hrs early and you can be there by dinner. Plus, there's vacation rentals in the mountains if you want to get away from populated areas.

If you don't have a weekend - there is a ton of hiking just along the I-90 corridor. You have an incredible amount of excellent trails without going more than an hour from Seattle. We typically do something this (or go out Hwy 2, or down towards Ranier) every week, and then have a monthly weekend where we venture further away and spend a night somewhere.

Enjoy!
Just to name a few!
I'm jealous!

Sounds so great! Hubby is from England and misses the green. When I was hanging around with him over there on short occasions before we got married, I got a taste for cooler weather. Not sure how I'd do with the amount of rain Washington gets, but for those who can tolerate it, the pay off is right there all around you when the weather is nice enough to go outside huh?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We do have great places to visit on weekend but even during the week we have big parks in woods with hiking trails a lot closer for after work. Today, for example, it was in the 60s and still light at 8:30, and we have temperate rainforests here in our city east of Seattle with miles of trails, and others within a 20 minute drive. less than a mile away is a trail that goes 10 miles from Issaquah to Redmond along Lake Sammamish. For those of us that love the outdoors the rain doesn't keep us inside. By Southern CA standards the weather is only "good" in July, August and 1-3 weeks in September. We are outdoors all year, even walking in snowstorms.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 PM

301 posts, read 519,547 times
I concur with Kayela's advice and would add a few more. I've lived here seven years (relocated from Redding, in fact!), and I'm still wanting to ride the Ducks in downtown Seattle and do the Seattle Underground Tour. Add those to your list, too. If you are lucky enough to come during sunny weather, any of the WSF ferry rides to the San Juans, Bainbridge Island, or even to Bremerton or Kingston will offer great views of Puget Sound, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker. Port Townsend (Victorian seaport) and Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics (hiking) if you have the time--they are about 2 hours away from Seattle by car/ferry.

(Not trying to be a negative Nanny) However, just checking--you do know that Redding is about halfway between OC and Seattle, right? You will have about another 10-12 hour drive north to get here, depending on stops and Portland traffic. Keep in mind that it will most likely be in the 80s when you are visiting Redding and in the 50s and 60s when you are visiting here. It is quite a shock to the system. Bring cool weather clothes and a lightweight rain jacket.

If you do make it up here, will you promise to bring sunny weather with you? Hope you have a great time!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
50 in late May? It might actually be 80 in Seattle. May is half warm and half cool.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
50 in late May? It might actually be 80 in Seattle. May is half warm and half cool.
Actually, it's in between. The average for May is 64 with light rain 77% of the days. It may reach close to 80 but only 2-3 days near the end of the month. I pay attention to this because I always plant vegetables in May after the last threat of frost.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
I would not be surprised if it's 50 in June, but May is the best non-summer month in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area